Splicer
66 posts

Re: PS3 Backup Utility

Mar 13, 2012

The hard drive I bought was a seagate 3TB goflex desk drive.

Message 11 of 21 (125 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
66 posts

Mar 13, 2012

BTW The reason I am trying to do a backup is because I am trying not to lose my purchased movies from the playstation store as well as my game saves that aren't fitting to my cloud storage. I want to drop the movies onto a drive and then delete them off of the PS3 so I can clear up about 30-40 GB of space.

I thought the HD i put in was a 120gb but the ps3 actually has a 250gb drive. it currently only has 10gb of space left. While I appreciate the notion of deleting everything and only backing up the essentials, redownloading 220 something gb of data (because a 250gb drive is 236 when installed) just isn't something I really want to do.

Message 12 of 21 (125 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
498 posts

Mar 13, 2012

Understood on the downloading bit. Though you at some point have to look at it from a time perspective. You can download while you sleep and there's no time lost to you. But if you have to try your backup ten times, you've lost a significant chunk of time. Also, at least with game data that installs the first time you put a disk in, delete that. It's a quick copy to the drive the next time you put the disk in. No harm there.

Anyway, back to your symptoms. So if I read this right, you have no trouble copying when the drive is connected via a USB port. Meaning the PS3 sees the drive as a regular old USB drive. But it copies no problem when the USB drive is a thumb drive. I have to believe it's something with the drive, or the adapter, or something. At least something different enough that it is making your PS3 choke. Like I said, I had a similar problem, except it was when I restored to a new hard drive I put in. The external HD that was connected to the USB wouldn't seem to work. I backup to a flash drive and it restored no problem. I honestly don't know why that might be, but I was puzzled too. I quit fiddling with it when I got a working restore from the flash drive.

Message 13 of 21 (125 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3321 posts

Mar 13, 2012

dang i would have figured the cloud for game saves would have been big enough for anyone but i guess im wrong,i still have all kinds of room still left on the cloud but maybe one day they will make it bigger for people that need it,the cloud is a very good idea and can save people alot of frustration plus being a ps+ subscriber it easily pays for itself..sorry i guess i got off topic there,bound to happen a 330 in the morning..lol

gta5 photo: GTAV banner gta5_banner.jpg
Message 14 of 21 (125 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
66 posts

Mar 13, 2012

I have a few hundred game save files

Message 15 of 21 (125 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
66 posts

Mar 13, 2012

The flash and external hard drives were both connected via usb. I again tried to copy that 307kb game save file to the external HD and again it froze but I let it sit for 2 hours. When I finally gave up and restarted the system I then brought the external HD here to my PC. Again the PC would not recognize the drive until after a reboot and the drive performed very slowly. When I opened the drive there were no files saved to it but now instead of having 300GB of available space it appears that 22GB of junk data had been written to the drive. The PS3 is obviously causing the issue here to have placed 22GB of data on a drive instead of a 307kb file. I'm leaving it to the fact that this is an error with the PS3 that cannot be resolved as it requires a minimum of 250GB to back up my system and every partition I have made across multiple hard drives from 300GB to 3TB has failed. I seriously doubt that every drive I have is broken unless it is less than 8GB in size (my roomies flash drive). Tomorrow I will attempt to repair any corrupted files through the PS3 safe mode and give it one more try. If that doesnt work I will just have to live with not downloading any more video content and deleting games/redownloading them if I want to play them.

Message 16 of 21 (125 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3321 posts

Mar 13, 2012

WOW  thats alot lol...im trying to figure what your issue is as i had a similar problem when i set up my external drive about a year ago and had seperate partitions and it would not work right setting up the drive within windows,i had to use a 3rd party partition program but i can not remember for nothing what exactly i had to do,if i come up with it i'll let you know and maybe it will help you and maybe not...

Message 17 of 21 (125 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
498 posts

Mar 13, 2012

I think there are some other possibilities. Again, I return to that it is strange that it copies fine to a regular USB stick, but not a drive. I get your point about why it would be the same for other drives, so here's a couple other possibilities.

What is different between the flash and the HD?? I can spot a couple things, and I admit I may be reaching, but here goes. With the HD it is not the only partition. When things get weird like this, I say, reduce things to as simple as possible. Get rid of all other partitions, and just make a single partition.

Another thing that may be different is how it is formatted. When you use third party utilities, they may create it with different cluster sizes and so forth. I'd try to find a USB thumb drive formatting utility and use that for your HD. Use the same thing on the 8gig flash drive. Make this absolutely identical and compare. Perhaps even make the HD an 8 gig partition...just for grins.

There is also one other possibility. When you say it happens with multiple external drives, are you using an adapter or are these all-in-one type USB drives? By that I mean, are you using the same USB adapter? Usually with these external drives, they are SATA or IDE or something and there is an adapter to USB. I have one of those that I use for connecting regular internal HDs to my laptop or other things. It could be a bad adapter, unless of course it's different between the different drives, then it is harder to believe that you have two built-in adapters that are both bad.

Just some ideas. This one sounds like a toughie.

Message 18 of 21 (125 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
498 posts

Mar 13, 2012

You probably had to use something like this: http://files.extremeoverclocking.com/file.php?f=197

I've seen someone recommend another one a week or two ago, but I didn't bookmark it so I'm not sure which one.

Message 19 of 21 (125 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3321 posts

Mar 13, 2012

check this here and see if its benefits you,i think this is what i had to do to get my seagate desk external drive to work right.. http://community.wdc.com/t5/My-Book-for-PC/PS3-Get-External-Drive-to-work/td-p/85713

Message 20 of 21 (125 Views)
0 Likes