Nov 14 2012
By: mntwister First Son 9 posts

PS3 60GB DEAD, CAN I RETRIEVE SAVED GAME DATA?

3 replies 518 views Edited Nov 14, 2012

Hi. Today I got my blinking red light of death on my original 60gb PS3. I am very sad as I used it for PS2 games as well. If I buy a new Playstation, can I use the hard drive from ther 60gb model? Yes, stupid me, I never saved to SD cards ANY of the saved games I was playing, about 50. I don't care about trophies or anything else but really would likew to try to find a way to read those saved games and transfer that to the new system. Should I have the 60gb (first model released) fixed or what are my options? Thanks for your help. I learned one bad lesson here....BACK-UP!!!!!

Message 1 of 4 (518 Views)
0 Likes
Highlighted
Ghost of Sparta
11942 posts

Re: PS3 60GB DEAD, CAN I RETRIEVE SAVED GAME DATA?

Nov 14, 2012
If the saves are that important, you'll need to have your PS3 fixed. As soon as you remove your hard drive, you might as well say goodbye to the saves, as the HDD will need t be reformatted when you put it into another console, even if it's the same one.
Message 2 of 4 (516 Views)
PIayStation MVP
12905 posts

Nov 14, 2012
Also, do not have Sony repair your PS3. Not only don't their repairs last on these older systems, but Sony always erases the HDD as part of their repair process. You should seek the services of a 3rd party PS3 repair place. One place I recommend is Endless Electronics...
Message 3 of 4 (511 Views)
Hekseville Citizen
275 posts

[ Edited ]
Nov 14, 2012

I personally would only do this if I was desperate (no money to repair), but put your console in a cardboard box and use a blow hair dryer for a few minutes. If your PS3 turns on after that, then you would back up everything from there. At this point, the PS3 can turn off at anytime, so you would have to be quick about it. After everything has been backed up, go get a reball.

Message 4 of 4 (508 Views)