Umbrella Scientist
12347 posts

Re: PS3 4.55 update is out now

Feb 7, 2014

SimplexRogue wrote:
After the update I now get a message that says "The max power of the USB has been reached remove a device". Something like that. All I have plugged in is the camera or the contrler. Has anyone else seen this message. I have the MGS fat PS3 with 4 USB ports.

I seen that on a PS4 at bestbuy on display.

They had the camera plugged in and a controller, a message in the corner of the screen said "Maximum number of USB devices exceeded, please remove a device"  Or something like that.

Pretty dumb you cant use both the USb ports at the same time, why even have two then?

So now you say PS3 has this message?

I usb USB hubs on my PS3's and usually have 2-4 things plugged in at any given time, I will see if I start getting this issue.

Na13-31 wrote:
Finally, the structure of my question is that you would have to disprove every possible outcome to be correct and I would just have to have one that would likely be beneficial. That's statistically in my favor by quite a bit.

some_text
Message 121 of 132 (1,100 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
911 posts

Feb 7, 2014

Phillyblunz wrote:

SimplexRogue wrote:
After the update I now get a message that says "The max power of the USB has been reached remove a device". Something like that. All I have plugged in is the camera or the contrler. Has anyone else seen this message. I have the MGS fat PS3 with 4 USB ports.

They had the camera plugged in and a controller, a message in the corner of the screen said "Maximum number of USB devices exceeded, please remove a device"  Or something like that.

The Camera doesn't plug into the USB port, it has it's own AUX port in the back. I have my Camera plugged in all the time and I always have a controller charging while another one is in use. I've only seen that message when I had a controller "Logged On" and then I was activating (4) Move controllers for my daughter and her freinds for Just Dance. When I got to the 4th Move controller I had to turn of the PS4 controller before I could activate the last Move.

Message 122 of 132 (1,099 Views)
0 Likes
Umbrella Scientist
12347 posts

Feb 7, 2014

Letherface wrote:

Phillyblunz wrote:

SimplexRogue wrote:

The Camera doesn't plug into the USB port, it has it's own AUX port in the back. I have my Camera plugged in all the time and I always have a controller charging while another one is in use. I've only seen that message when I had a controller "Logged On" and then I was activating (4) Move controllers for my daughter and her freinds for Just Dance. When I got to the 4th Move controller I had to turn of the PS4 controller before I could activate the last Move.

Thats right the camera has its own port.   I wonder what else they had plugged in?

There was a Vita setup there to it must have been on  1 DS3 and 1 Vita plugged in Via USB and that was too much for the PS4.

You say you got that message from connecting Move controllers?  Were they all plugged into a USB hub or something?

PS4 only has 2 USB ports i thought?

The message I am talking about said too many USB devices, not Bluetooth.

I wonder whats going on here?

It makes me wonder even more because the PS3 supported 7 controllers at any given time,   But the way you put it it seems the PS4 only supports 4 Bluetooth devices at any given time?  Plus maybe a headset?

Anyone confirm the max number of Bluetooth devices supported by PS4 at any one time?

I guess its not surprising considering all the other stuff PS3 does which PS4 doesnt, and possibly it seems, cant.

If it werent for the fact I found out yesturday PS4 has its first 3D game I would be totally bummed right now.

One step forward, and one back, we even!

Na13-31 wrote:
Finally, the structure of my question is that you would have to disprove every possible outcome to be correct and I would just have to have one that would likely be beneficial. That's statistically in my favor by quite a bit.

some_text
Message 123 of 132 (1,088 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
911 posts

Feb 7, 2014

Phillyblunz wrote:

Letherface wrote:

Phillyblunz wrote:

SimplexRogue wrote:

Thats right the camera has its own port.   I wonder what else they had plugged in?

There was a Vita setup there to it must have been on  1 DS3 and 1 Vita plugged in Via USB and that was too much for the PS4.

You say you got that message from connecting Move controllers?  Were they all plugged into a USB hub or something?

PS4 only has 2 USB ports i thought?

The message I am talking about said too many USB devices, not Bluetooth.

I wonder whats going on here?

It makes me wonder even more because the PS3 supported 7 controllers at any given time,   But the way you put it it seems the PS4 only supports 4 Bluetooth devices at any given time?  Plus maybe a headset?

Anyone confirm the max number of Bluetooth devices supported by PS4 at any one time?

I guess its not surprising considering all the other stuff PS3 does which PS4 doesnt, and possibly it seems, cant.

If it werent for the fact I found out yesturday PS4 has its first 3D game I would be totally bummed right now.

One step forward, and one back, we even!

The Removed the 7 controller support because it was very rarley used. Very few games used it and the users of those games very rarley used the feature. The PS4 supports 4 at one time.

With a much more powerful processor and 7-1/2 more GB's or RAM I'm sure the PS4 "Could" handle 7 controllers if they wanted to.

Message 124 of 132 (1,085 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
12 posts

Feb 9, 2014

Message 125 of 132 (810 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
12 posts

Feb 9, 2014
Am I the only one who lost 3D capability from v.4.55 ?
Message 126 of 132 (810 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
12 posts

Feb 9, 2014
never mind. for some unknown reason resetting my my display settings in the PS3 settings for my monitor brought back Blu-ray 3D playback.... why it went away at all is beyond me.
Message 127 of 132 (801 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
75 posts

Feb 16, 2014

Did you not read the post. I said on the PS3 not the PS4. The PS3 camera plugs into the usb port. I have 2 thing plugged in to 2 of the 4 usb ports, the camera and a controller. Please read before assuming we don't know what were talking about.

Message 128 of 132 (496 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
4 posts

Feb 28, 2014

"As for the mythomaniac guys who keep pretending this firmware bricked their system: get a life."

Really?  That's awefully kind of you.  Thanks for the support, you must work for Sony.

Personally, I tried getting a life, but my credit score is too low.

I had 2 PS3 (40g CECHG01 model) blu ray drives crap out instantly after 4.55 update.

The update is supposed to be a stability fix for blu ray and a check on dvd, is it coincidence that blu ray discs and games no longer run on these systems?  I've crawled the web for about 4 days now researching this topic, and it  seems this problem mostly affects PS3 units made before 2008.  If yours works fine and was made after 2008, you have no knowledge of this problem and therefore shouldn't try to form an opinion about something you have no experience with.

I wouldn't take a blind man's opinion of a painting, just saying.

Google "PS3 4.55 update problems" returns 12,700,000+ results.

The firmware 4.55 is impossible to downgrade without a NAND / NOR flasher device.  IMHO the reason Sony kept details of this patch secret until after its "mandatory" release is not because it's a "stability fix", but rather to brick old consoles to force people to either buy a PS4 or pay  for repairs that generally cost more than a used PS3 from a pawn shop.

How would this result in people buying a PS4 instead of some other console?  Simple, most hardcore gamers will have many games on disc, and probably some blu ray movies too.  As far as I know, Playstation 3 & 4 are the only consoles that use blu ray, and thus without a repair or upgrade, those discs are all useless.  You could sell them for much less than you paid, but most people with a large disc collection would simply repair, upgrade to ps4, or go buy another (probably used) ps3.

It may have also been a ploy, to prevent custom firmware in an attempt to halt piracy.  If anything, bricking many older consoles will only result in more piracy as people will pirate games they alreay have on disc simply because they can't use their discs anymore and are **bleep** off.

It's impossible to install CFW or downgrade from 4.55 without a hardware flash device.  This prevents most people from being able to ever install CFW and thus pirate games/movies/etc.

From my researching this topic I've figured out that old fat ps3 models often won't accept this firmware update very well.  It might be intentional or just coincidence.  What is certain is that more people are complaining every day about it, and those who say it's only a handful of complaints fail to realize the update hasn't been out very long.  Just wait, you'll see plenty more.

Some of the problems reported commonly with 4.55 update:

• Blu ray drive no longer reading blu ray discs (even if DVD and CD still work).
  • Update hanging at 99% and refusing to complete.
  • HDMI problems (I heard a loud "shock" sound from HDMI port right after the update, got scared and switched to composite cable.  The electric shock sound came from both ends of the HDMI cable).
  • Lost game or video license (some HDD data possibly corrupt, giving the "renew license to play" message).
  • Black screen (no video or sound at all).
  • HDD / file system / database corruption issues (not as common but I've seen reports of it).

Fortunately for myself, I only had the HDMI and blu ray problems.  My PoS3 still runs but now I can only play PSN demos or re-buy & download games I already own.  What a shame, and I truly feel for all of you who really are having these problems.

Buy a good gaming PC, and ditch the consoles.  You'll thank me later.

Since firmware directly affects the functioning of the hardware, it's entirely possible (though unlikely) that a bad firmware update could send too much power to certain components in the system and thus fry something.

Message 129 of 132 (345 Views)
Highlighted
Fender Bender
3215 posts

Mar 1, 2014
@DragonstarOmega

My brother also had the 40gb ps3 I believe. I know he had an early fat model ps3 from the first year. A little while ago his ps3 stopped working, it wouldn't play discs anymore. He took it into a place to get it fixed twice to no avail. A couple weeks ago he replaced it with a newer 500gb ps3. Now that I read your post I'm willing to bet it was the update that is too blame. But, what's done is done.
Message 130 of 132 (333 Views)
0 Likes