Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Dec 24 2012
By: lb555c Splicer 70 posts

PS2 Classic... update for PS3

11 replies 181 views Edited Dec 24, 2012
For anyone who has bought PS2 classics of PSN you know that when you play them it Basicly turns your PS3 off and starts it as a PS2 ..in a way............. wouldn't it be great if we could play PS2 classics and still be logged into PSN and/or have access to the XMB menu........ hopefuly Playstation can send out an update in the future so that we can play PS2 classics but still keep some PS3 processes running.... that would be GREAT
Please use plain text.
Message 1 of 12 (181 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
24085 posts

Re: PS2 Classic... update for PS3

Dec 24, 2012

PS2 games are not compatible with the Playstation Network. Which is why there is no online play on any of them. The entire game would have to be rebuilt from the ground up to do what you're proposing, which would be expensive and time consuming. If you're going to do all the work and take on all the expense of making a new game, you're going to make a NEW game. Not remake a ten year old one.

Please use plain text.
Message 2 of 12 (176 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
70 posts

Dec 24, 2012
No no what I meen is staying logged in so you van message and stuff like that I don't meen online play
Please use plain text.
Message 3 of 12 (170 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
24085 posts

Dec 24, 2012

lb555c wrote:
No no what I meen is staying logged in so you van message and stuff like that I don't meen online play

And I just told you why you can't. Because the games are not compatible with the Playstation Network... AT ALL. There's no "update" they can issue to make them so.

Please use plain text.
Message 4 of 12 (166 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
70 posts

Dec 24, 2012
What I'm saying is completely different to your answer .... I'm talking about playing PS2 games BUT keeping your PS3 running.... this meens not having to turn your controller on every time you start or stop a PS2 game... this meens being able to message friends and have access to the XMB menu..... I'm saying that you can have the PS2 game running but still keep the PS3 running.... they can issue an update for the PS3 allowing this ... they don't have to REBUILD every game out there to be able to do this
Please use plain text.
Message 5 of 12 (164 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
813 posts

Dec 24, 2012

lb555c wrote:
What I'm saying is completely different to your answer .... I'm talking about playing PS2 games BUT keeping your PS3 running.... this meens not having to turn your controller on every time you start or stop a PS2 game... this meens being able to message friends and have access to the XMB menu..... I'm saying that you can have the PS2 game running but still keep the PS3 running.... they can issue an update for the PS3 allowing this ... they don't have to REBUILD every game out there to be able to do this

I don't think you are understanding the complexities of what you are asking. It will not happen.

Please use plain text.
Message 6 of 12 (159 Views)
PlayStation MVP
24085 posts

[ Edited ]
Dec 24, 2012

lb555c wrote:

No, what you're actually saying is you simply don't want to accept this as the answer. I'm going to say this one more time; PS2 games are a completely different build from what is used on the PS3. That's why things are the way they are. There is no "update" they can perform. Regardless of how much you WANT to believe it, saying "ALAKAZAM!" does not make it possible. What you're saying is simply not the case.

This may come as a shock to you, but Sony really doesn't want you to play your PS2 games on your PS3. Why you might ask? Because the console is a LOSS LEADER. They make money by you going out and purchasing PS3 games. Not by you playing your ten year old game library. But as usual, some "gamers" got it backwards as they ususally do.

Seriously though, it's been over FIVE YEARS, and we're still on this?

Please use plain text.
Message 7 of 12 (156 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
70 posts

Dec 24, 2012
I know that because .... PS2 is still a console on the market that's wy they took backwards compatibility out of the PS3...... dont you guys think that it would be nice though if it were possible to stay logged in to PSN I meen it was just a thought....... your right it probably won't happen....
Please use plain text.
Message 8 of 12 (153 Views)
0 Likes
Survivor
2602 posts

Dec 25, 2012

And what about PSone Classics? Those can't do any of the PSN features either last I checked. Same reason would apply for PS2 Classics, and that is that it would take too much time and money and thus not worth it for an old game.

Deadly Neurotoxin!
 photo rsz_1rsz_11rsz_1000px-fpsword_zps44b9ca31.png
Please use plain text.
Message 9 of 12 (127 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
70 posts

Dec 27, 2012
Well see they updated the PS3 I think it was like update 4.01 or something like that but anyway they updated it so that the PS3 could play PS2 classics so I figure they could update it so that people can use the XMB menu while playing PSone or PS2 classics........ see I'm not talking about updating the games themselves but the PS3
Please use plain text.
Message 10 of 12 (98 Views)
0 Likes