Oct 29 2012
By: louie540 Hekseville Citizen 275 posts

PS1 and Memory Cards overpriced?

8 replies 245 views Edited Oct 29, 2012

I was looking on eBay and Amazon for a PS1 console and memory card. I know I can play PS1 games on PS2 and PS3 and use the hard drive to save on the PS3, but I never owned the PS1 and would like to just have one anyway, even if it is technically pointless. I just feel like I missed out on this system.

So given what I just said about the PS3 and PS2 being able to play PS1 games, I feel like everyone is overpricing them. I can't seem to find an official memory card for under $10 with shipping. The console by itself with cords (no memory card) goes for around $20 more or less, usually before shipping.

What do you think this system is worth? What about memory cards? I personally think official memory cards shouldn't be anymore than like $6 and no more than $15 for the console with controllers.

Message 1 of 9 (245 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
4307 posts

Re: PS1 and Memory Cards overpriced?

Oct 29, 2012
You *might* find better deals online after Jan. This is usally the time of year that old consoles are in higher demand. Dunno about Ebay, but with amazon, if you can find all the parts fulfilled by amazon, you can get one shipping charge or perhaps free shipping if you're lucky. $20 would be okay if you can get everything; personally, I wouldn't pay more than $15 for all.

I've got the SCPH-5501 model and can interchange the AV, power cord, and controllers from my PS2, so PS cords/controllers may not be that big of a deal if you have to look for them.

Unless you're a collector, the PS2/3 route would probably be a better option. Another thing to consider is the PS came out in the era of tube TVs. I've hooked up mine to my HD TV and the picture is somewhat fuzzy using the AV cable.
Message 2 of 9 (241 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
275 posts

Oct 29, 2012

Yeah I decided to start collecting which is also why I want to buy a PS1. There is a retro gaming store in my area that originally listed the console as $10 and I wish I would have jumped on it because now they're listing it for $20. I do have a couple of DreamCasts that I refurbished though (now sitting in my closet) which I can probably use some of the money to buy it. I'll figure something out.

Message 3 of 9 (238 Views)
0 Likes
Big Daddy
19181 posts

Oct 29, 2012

louie540 wrote:

I was looking on eBay and Amazon for a PS1 console and memory card. I know I can play PS1 games on PS2 and PS3 and use the hard drive to save on the PS3, but I never owned the PS1 and would like to just have one anyway, even if it is technically pointless. I just feel like I missed out on this system.

So given what I just said about the PS3 and PS2 being able to play PS1 games, I feel like everyone is overpricing them. I can't seem to find an official memory card for under $10 with shipping. The console by itself with cords (no memory card) goes for around $20 more or less, usually before shipping.

What do you think this system is worth? What about memory cards? I personally think official memory cards shouldn't be anymore than like $6 and no more than $15 for the console with controllers.

Yeah, I would say that the PS1 seems to be slightly overpriced lately.

I've dealt locally through craigslist and garage sales the past few years and I've managed to find working PS1's anywhere from the $3 to the $10 range (this included cords, controller, and sometimes multiple memory cards). 

But lately, I'm seeing PS1's listed starting at $20 all the way up to $50. Smiley Surprised  Definitely a bit a on the high side.

Same goes for the official PS1 memory cards.  I've picked up quite a few for $2 to $3 each.  Heck, I've even found official PS2 memory cards for no more than $5.

But now it seems that you can't touch an official PS1 memory card for less that $10 to $15.  Smiley Surprised

In my estimation, a working PS1 with cords and a controller is worth about $12 to $18.  And I would say an official PS1 memory card is worth no more than $5.

Message 4 of 9 (234 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
838 posts

Oct 29, 2012

zeker wrote:

louie540 wrote:

But now it seems that you can't touch an official PS1 memory card for less that $10 to $15.  Smiley Surprised

In my estimation, a working PS1 with cords and a controller is worth about $12 to $18.  And I would say an official PS1 memory card is worth no more than $5.

A brand new one? A new official PS1 memory card does cost around 15-20 bucks, but you can find a used one for under 10, but S&H is what gets the total close to or over 10 bucks.   I've seen PS2 memory cards new(official ones) on amazon for under or around  10 bucks with S&H. 

There is a local classic game storein my area that sells a PS1for 10 bucks, you get a discount and a deal if you buy games and a memory card. Cards go from 3-8 bucks depending on condition or brand.

It's best to buy older consoles like bundles, some people will sell few games and extra accessories with it sure the price will also be affected it will increase but you can get some nice stuff.

Message 5 of 9 (219 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
8502 posts

Oct 29, 2012

njinear2b wrote:
bla, bla, bla...

bla

HEY! It's good to see you again man!

(not literally but you get the idea Smiley Tongue )

Message 6 of 9 (216 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
275 posts

Oct 31, 2012
Just went to the store with my 2 refurbed DreamCasts and got $35 store credit. It was either that or $16 cash, but I went for store credit and got the PS1 and a couple of games. I probably could have gotten more if I went through eBay but I didn't want to deal with shipping and fees and whatnot. The console didn't come with a memory card, but I got one on ebay for like $5 somehow.
Message 7 of 9 (204 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
4307 posts

Nov 8, 2012

kknd2002 wrote:

njinear2b wrote:
bla, bla, bla...

bla

HEY! It's good to see you again man!

(not literally but you get the idea Smiley Tongue )

Hey KK - how's it going?  it has been a while; how's the crew holding up? I couldn't remember my login info over there, but the last I checked, everyone seemed to have moved on or was ready to move on anyway. 

Message 8 of 9 (158 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
8502 posts

[ Edited ]
Nov 8, 2012

B set up a new forum here http://www.secondlettermedia.com/discussion/

so half of the crew stopped posting in the other forums, a few still post there though (like me Smiley Tongue )

and a few just disappeared Smiley Sad

Message 9 of 9 (125 Views)
0 Likes