Sep 17 2012
By: RiddLezz-X7 First Son 5 posts

PS1 & PS2 Trophies??

8 replies 390 views Edited Sep 17, 2012

It would be awesome to figure a way to update the PS3 so it can tell what ps1 and ps2 games youre playing and make some trophies for em..

i just think it would increase the replay value a bit Smiley Happy

Example:

im playing Final Fantsy IX for ps1 on my PS3 and i think it would be cool to get a trophy for collecting all of the Tetra Master cards..

and maybe for getting past certain points in the game too.. and maybe for doing certain things that you dont neccesarily need to do like idk.. optional tropies?

any ways let me know Sony Staff Smiley Happy

Message 1 of 9 (390 Views)
Fender Bender
2518 posts

Re: PS1 & PS2 Trophies??

Sep 17, 2012

A lot of ps2 games have been re-mastered for the ps3 and have had trophies added. I haven't seen that so much with ps1 games. But it is something they already do. It is up to the individual game developers to do that, and it depends on the popularity of the games. But it's not something that can be done within the console. It have to be written into the game code.

Message 2 of 9 (382 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
10174 posts

Sep 17, 2012
well, unless it's a remastered version for PS3, they can't have trophies. PS1 and PS2 games, can't get patches and take part in other PS3 features. The only way they can is if they go through all the code and change it, and that would take a lot of time and money. the PS 1 and 2 games on the PSN now are the exact same as on there original system.

You can also hope that they get remastered. (they are then considered PS3 games.) I know Final Fantasy X is getting remastered. Once they get remastered they follow the mandatory rule of trophy support as they are considered new PS3 games. (I havn't heard of a PS1 remastered, but PS2 games are getting remastered all the time, well the most popular titles mostly.)
Message 3 of 9 (364 Views)
PIayStation MVP
12905 posts

Sep 17, 2012

RiddLezz-X7 wrote:

It would be awesome to figure a way to update the PS3 so it can tell what ps1 and ps2 games youre playing and make some trophies for em..

i just think it would increase the replay value a bit Smiley Happy

Example:

im playing Final Fantsy IX for ps1 on my PS3 and i think it would be cool to get a trophy for collecting all of the Tetra Master cards..

and maybe for getting past certain points in the game too.. and maybe for doing certain things that you dont neccesarily need to do like idk.. optional tropies?

any ways let me know Sony Staff Smiley Happy

This is easier said than done. It was suggested when PS3 trophies was first released, that someone should update all the past PS3 titles with trophies. The thing is that a game has to be programmed to support trophies, otherwise it has to be fundamentally rewritten. Metal Gear Solid 4 for example did not initially support trophies when it was released in 2008, 4 years later Konami released a patch to support it mainly because its fans have been asking for it. That was a special case, and I don't see any senario where Sony would ever update PS1 & PS2 games to support trophies...

Message 4 of 9 (359 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
2518 posts

Sep 17, 2012

God of war series, Prince of Persia, several others. It's really based on whether a developer feels remastering a game will gain them enough resale value. There are many older games we will never see remastered.

Message 5 of 9 (346 Views)
First Son
18 posts

Sep 18, 2012
I was thinking the same thing. I might get one of the first Crash Bandicoot's (I loved that game!) But the games would have to be updated to have Trophies added to them. You don't NEED Trophies to play the games so you might as well enjoy it.
S_C_O_P_IE_D
Message 6 of 9 (331 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1368 posts

Sep 18, 2012
This would be great Metal Gear Solid would be a great platinum to have.
 photo EZRASIG_zpsf85694e2.jpg
Message 7 of 9 (328 Views)
First Son
5 posts

[ Edited ]
Dec 4, 2012

oo? so it depends on the companies huh? so heck then man.. why didnt Oblivion have trophies for the PS3 but it had acheivements (and A LOT more DLC) on the 360?

Message 8 of 9 (272 Views)
0 Likes
Highlighted
Ghost of Sparta
15795 posts

Dec 4, 2012

Only some remakes of ps2 classics can get trophies. There are no ps1 classics that have trophies, because there wasn't any such thing back in the day. And most ps2 classics don't get trophy and hd remakes because they weren't big sellers. So, if your playing a ps1 or ps2 game then you going to be doing so for nostalgia mostly.

Multisystem owner. PlayStation owner since 2000. Inaugural PS Plus member:Legendary status. Former PS forum MVP with a launch PS3 & PS4.

Message 9 of 9 (264 Views)
0 Likes