Highlighted
Nov 08 2012
By: Gavindale1 First Son 2 posts

PS1/P2 games on a PS3 - better graphics and sound?

6 replies 1018 views Edited Nov 8, 2012

If I am playing a PS1/PS2 game on my PS3 via a memory card adaptor, do I get better/enhanced graphics and sound because I am using a PS3 console?

Message 1 of 7 (1,018 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
4 posts

Re: PS1/P2 games on a PS3 - better graphics and sound?

Nov 8, 2012
You get whatever Graphics and Sound that was supported by the game when it was made. (ie. you won't get anything better than what the PS2 was like)
Message 2 of 7 (1,010 Views)
0 Likes
Umbrella Scientist
9463 posts

Nov 8, 2012

Gavindale1 wrote:

If I am playing a PS1/PS2 game on my PS3 via a memory card adaptor, do I get better/enhanced graphics and sound because I am using a PS3 console?

PS1/PS2 games look and sound the same on PS3 (Unless it is a "HD Remake" of the game). Also it depends on what kind of TV you have. A "Standard Definition" game will look the same on a "Standard Definition" TV. But a "Standard Definition" game could look worse on a "High Definition" TV. A "High Definition" TV could clearly show the flaws in a "Standard Definition" game. (Jagged edges in the game, hazy cubes that make up the objects in the game...etc).

Macro_Eye_by_IcyBlueFallenAngel.jpg 

Here's symbols to copy & paste into your friends list comment. ℡ № ª
⇒⇔ ¹ ² ³ ® ™ ‰ © ½ ¼ ¾ ←↑→↓ψ † ‡ ※♪♭♯★ ☆▲▼△▽◆ ◇ ○ ◎ ● ■ □ 回 〓 √∞♂♀ 웃 유
Ω ①②③④⑤⑥⑦⑧⑨⑩⑪⑫⑬⑭⑮⑯⑰⑱⑲⑳ ㎎ ㎏ ㎜ ㎝ ㎞ ㎡ ㏄ ≒ Æ æ η α β ε α₩£ ≡ » « ¶ † εïз ∵
∴ #’〈 〉《 》「」『 』【 】〔 〕ミ 彡 ッ シ!#@ $ %
&()*+,-./0123456789:;<=>?ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZabcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz[\
]^_`{|}~¢£ㄻ ㄼ ㄽ ㄾ ㄿ ㅁ ㅂ ㅄ ㅅ ㅆ ㅇ ㅈ ㅊ ㅋ ㅌ ㅍ ㅎㄱ 을 ㄺ卍∃⊥ ∀ Ξ Σ Π 文 ≒≠ ≡≦
≧ⅠⅡⅢ Ⅳ Ⅴ Ⅵ Ⅶ Ⅷ Ⅸ Ⅹ ⅰ ⅱ ⅲ ⅳ ⅴ ⅵ ⅶ ⅷ ⅸ ⅹ¬ ̄ ±∂∩∀∇∠∧∨∩∪∫∬⊂⊃⊥⊿⌒─│┌┐└┘├┤┬┴┼─
━│┃┌┏ ┐┓└┗ ┘┛├┝┠┣ ┤┥┨┫┬ ┯ ┰ ┳ ┴ ┷ ┸ ┻ ┼ ┿ ╂ ╋
Message 3 of 7 (997 Views)
0 Likes
Last Guardian
11743 posts

Nov 8, 2012

The game's visuals and sounds won't improve normally, considering that memory card adapters are intended for data transfer. There is a feature on the PlayStation 3 system that will clear up the anti-aliasing of a PlayStation game, though.

HD editions of PlayStation 2 games are available to play on the PlayStation 3 as well. However, the visuals are really no better in these versions than when they were first published. Mainly, the high-definition seems meant to smooth out the games for larger TV sets compared to having the game scaled down and messy.

Message 4 of 7 (995 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
838 posts

Nov 8, 2012

GrayGargoyle wrote:

The game's visuals and sounds won't improve normally, considering that memory card adapters are intended for data transfer. There is a feature on the PlayStation 3 system that will clear up the anti-aliasing of a PlayStation game, though.

HD editions of PlayStation 2 games are available to play on the PlayStation 3 as well. However, the visuals are really no better in these versions than when they were first published. Mainly, the high-definition seems meant to smooth out the games for larger TV sets compared to having the game scaled down and messy.

Some people don't know this(many people don't know this) is that the Dreamcast can play, PS1 games and improve them graphically as well. They were only 3 official releases that work very well.  You can still try with different PS1 games but they might have some problems. They looked much better on the Dreamcast than they did on the PS1 and the PS2.  Dreamcast was ahead of it's time.

Message 5 of 7 (977 Views)
0 Likes
Umbrella Scientist
9463 posts

Nov 9, 2012

bronxz32 wrote:

GrayGargoyle wrote:

Some people don't know this(many people don't know this) is that the Dreamcast can play, PS1 games and improve them graphically as well. They were only 3 official releases that work very well.  You can still try with different PS1 games but they might have some problems. They looked much better on the Dreamcast than they did on the PS1 and the PS2.  Dreamcast was ahead of it's time.

I remember that, you are talking about "Bleemcast":

According to Wikipedia, “Originally, Bleem! was planning to have the disc able to run any Playstation game on the Dreamcast, but due to technical difficulties, they made the idea of the “Bleempak”, in which the software would boot only 100 specific games each.” However, due to some technical difficulties, Bleem only release three official retail Bleempak released (Metal Gear Solid, Tekken 3, and Gran Turismo 2).

I had the Bleemcast disc that let me play "Gran Turismo 2" on Dreamcast. Those were the days.

1688918580508561_1MY847yb_c.jpg

Here's symbols to copy & paste into your friends list comment. ℡ № ª
⇒⇔ ¹ ² ³ ® ™ ‰ © ½ ¼ ¾ ←↑→↓ψ † ‡ ※♪♭♯★ ☆▲▼△▽◆ ◇ ○ ◎ ● ■ □ 回 〓 √∞♂♀ 웃 유
Ω ①②③④⑤⑥⑦⑧⑨⑩⑪⑫⑬⑭⑮⑯⑰⑱⑲⑳ ㎎ ㎏ ㎜ ㎝ ㎞ ㎡ ㏄ ≒ Æ æ η α β ε α₩£ ≡ » « ¶ † εïз ∵
∴ #’〈 〉《 》「」『 』【 】〔 〕ミ 彡 ッ シ!#@ $ %
&()*+,-./0123456789:;<=>?ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZabcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz[\
]^_`{|}~¢£ㄻ ㄼ ㄽ ㄾ ㄿ ㅁ ㅂ ㅄ ㅅ ㅆ ㅇ ㅈ ㅊ ㅋ ㅌ ㅍ ㅎㄱ 을 ㄺ卍∃⊥ ∀ Ξ Σ Π 文 ≒≠ ≡≦
≧ⅠⅡⅢ Ⅳ Ⅴ Ⅵ Ⅶ Ⅷ Ⅸ Ⅹ ⅰ ⅱ ⅲ ⅳ ⅴ ⅵ ⅶ ⅷ ⅸ ⅹ¬ ̄ ±∂∩∀∇∠∧∨∩∪∫∬⊂⊃⊥⊿⌒─│┌┐└┘├┤┬┴┼─
━│┃┌┏ ┐┓└┗ ┘┛├┝┠┣ ┤┥┨┫┬ ┯ ┰ ┳ ┴ ┷ ┸ ┻ ┼ ┿ ╂ ╋
Message 6 of 7 (968 Views)
0 Likes
Big Daddy
16918 posts

[ Edited ]
Nov 9, 2012

I still have one of those Bleem discs..... this was before they started making game specific discs.

Runs pretty darn good. Especially when using the VGA converter box, graphics looks great.

Workes fine with Parasite Eve 1 & 2, and FF8 and FF9 as those are the only PS games that I really still play.

Bleem is HARD to find. And when you find it, they're a bit expensive. i got my copy for only $10 and its in excellent shape, even the jewel case. But they can run as high as $60

Furiously Chaosing
Message 7 of 7 (957 Views)
0 Likes