Sep 19 2012
By: alien_jew_420 Hekseville Citizen 293 posts

PS1 Classics You Own: Do they hold up?

[ Edited ]
16 replies 424 views Edited Sep 20, 2012

i thought this might a good idea for a thread. there are so many ps1 classics that are tempting, but in my personal experience most of them have not withstood the test of time. in this thread, list the games you own and a blurb about why or why it does not hold up (couple sentences max):

Destruction Derby: Fun for a few races, not enticing enough to play through. Would not purchase; got for free thru ps+ so it's cool. Smiley Indifferent

Dino Crisis 2: Paid for this one. Played thru a few levels; old school controls (tank style movement) does not hold up in a quick action game. would not reccomend. Man Sad

Final Fantasy 7: Had a blast playing thru this again. Definitely worth the price. Man Happy

Castlevania SOTN: Holy smokes this is one of the best metroid-vania style games ever. it really blew my mind back in the day (i still remember finding the inverted castle in my pre-internet days and thinking it was freakin' voodoo or something lol). Sooo worth it. Man Very Happy

cool boarders 2: my brother and i seriously played this game to death when it was new. every day after school for months. it plays like crap tho, this one did not stand the test of time. Smiley Mad

Medal of Honor: Underground : this game's engine was outdated when it was new; a real throwback to old school ps1 style. it's also really hard to play and control since it used all 4 shoulder buttons and dual sticks. it's too clunky to get responsive controls and it's ugly. waste of 6 bux. Smiley Sad

jetmoto2: got for free from ps+. great fun for free, played thru a few circuits at work and enjoyed it.

hotshots golf 2: another ps+ freebie. i have hot shots for vita so i'll never play it much, but i gave it a quick test run and honestly these games haven't changed that much lol. id say not worth it cuz u can get vita hotshots for under 15-20 these days from some outlets. you can do pass and play multiplayer tho, which u can't on vita. might be worth it for some ppl, the core game really is the same. Smiley Indifferent

medieval: i remember liking this game when it was new. it looks muddy on the vita screen and is not very fun IMO. i've heard others still enjoy it. not my cup of tea. i think this was ps+ freebie. Smiley Sad

warhawk: ps+ freebie. the cutscenes are hilariously bad. the game is pretty tough to play / control by modern standards tho. i played a couple levels just to see more movies tho. Smiley Indifferent

im looking for anyone who's played the jumping flash games, i used to to love them but afraid to risk 6 bux again lols.

EDIT: PLEASE READ

WHY IS IT RELEVANT THAT YOU'VE PLAYED THESE ON YOUR VITA? I WANT TO KNOW ABOUT DUAL STICKS AND SHOULDER BUTTON HASSLES (does that game use all 4 shoulders? if so is it a hinderance or can you manage?)! THANKS FOR CHECKING IT OUT!!

Message 1 of 17 (424 Views)
Monster Hunter
36 posts

Re: PS1 Classics You Own: Do they hold up?

Sep 19, 2012

I have Silent Hill on a friend's account. I can't transfer it to my Vita, but I know it still holds up as a great game. Scary, great atmosphere and music, and awesome gameplay and pacing. (The combat is a little tricky, but that's all part of making it scary.)

I've also got FF8. I have a retail copy on discs from when it first came out, but never got around to finishing it and remember not liking it. I still don't like it. The dialogue and story are pretty dull, the combat is repetitive, and the actual goals feel like the devs were just trying to fill up time. (Run around missions, search an entire town for some person in a random spot, travel through an empty dungeon, etc...) I wish I had gotten FF7 or FF9 instead. Those are so much more satisfying.

I'm hoping to get Castlevania: SOTN and Tomba! at some point.

Message 2 of 17 (403 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
16 posts

Sep 19, 2012

Twisted Metal 2 - the classic I remember and the graphics look good on the small screen. However the button assignments on the Vita have left me thinking it's unplayable. Even with custom assignments, it's buggy and frustrating.

Message 3 of 17 (399 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
293 posts

Sep 19, 2012

@kstedy

this is the problem i had with medal of honor and my fear in trying some other games out. 

me and optimus c had a brain storm and he came up with some pretty sick ideas for a grip that would essentially offer button overlay on the rear touchpad. 

go upvote his idea, he really did a good job:

http://share.blog.us.playstation.com/ideas/2012/09/18/r2l2-functioning-trigger-grip-for-psvita-2/

Message 4 of 17 (395 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1387 posts

Sep 19, 2012

alien_jew_420 wrote:

i thought this might a good idea for a thread. there are so many ps1 classics that are tempting, but in my personal experience most of them have not withstood the test of time. in this thread, list the games you own and a blurb about why or why it does not hold up (couple sentences max):

Destruction Derby: Fun for a few races, not enticing enough to play through. Would not purchase; got for free thru ps+ so it's cool. Smiley Indifferent

Dino Crisis 2: Paid for this one. Played thru a few levels; old school controls (tank style movement) does not hold up in a quick action game. would not reccomend. Man Sad

Final Fantasy 7: Had a blast playing thru this again. Definitely worth the price. Man Happy

Castlevania SOTN: Holy smokes this is one of the best metroid-vania style games ever. it really blew my mind back in the day (i still remember finding the inverted castle in my pre-internet days and thinking it was freakin' voodoo or something lol). Sooo worth it. Man Very Happy

cool boarders 2: my brother and i seriously played this game to death when it was new. every day after school for months. it plays like crap tho, this one did not stand the test of time. Smiley Mad

Medal of Honor: Underground : this game's engine was outdated when it was new; a real throwback to old school ps1 style. it's also really hard to play and control since it used all 4 shoulder buttons and dual sticks. it's too clunky to get responsive controls and it's ugly. waste of 6 bux. Smiley Sad

jetmoto2: got for free from ps+. great fun for free, played thru a few circuits at work and enjoyed it.

hotshots golf 2: another ps+ freebie. i have hot shots for vita so i'll never play it much, but i gave it a quick test run and honestly these games haven't changed that much lol. id say not worth it cuz u can get vita hotshots for under 15-20 these days from some outlets. you can do pass and play multiplayer tho, which u can't on vita. might be worth it for some ppl, the core game really is the same. Smiley Indifferent

medieval: i remember liking this game when it was new. it looks muddy on the vita screen and is not very fun IMO. i've heard others still enjoy it. not my cup of tea. i think this was ps+ freebie. Smiley Sad

warhawk: ps+ freebie. the cutscenes are hilariously bad. the game is pretty tough to play / control by modern standards tho. i played a couple levels just to see more movies tho. Smiley Indifferent

im looking for anyone who's played the jumping flash games, i used to to love them but afraid to risk 6 bux again lols.

In my opinion all PS1 games that fall under RPG, Action, even Platformer have all held up against the test of time simply because games under those genres either A.) Have a great story B.)Are actually fun C.)Are simple enough that it's enjoyable while challenging enough to be not boring.

All the other games under other genres all have a modern more cleaned up or fancy layout like for example Hotshots golfs of even the wipeout game. While back in the day they were probably awesome, it's for that reason there are still more copies of the game being made even till today.

Another thing that may have killed games from back then for people now is that some games are just absurdly repetetive and while maybe back then it was the shizniz, now we're all spoiled and demand more. For example I'm sure most people were huge Pokemon fans back in the day you know when there were only 151 pokemon, but I know that if I picked up a pokemon game today I'd **bleep** hate it and ask myself why I ever liked the franchise.(pokemon is still awesome btw, I just can't do the grind to do everything in those games anymore, puts me to sleep.)

Message 5 of 17 (388 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
293 posts

Sep 19, 2012

honestly im playing thru castlevania sotn right now and i just had to sing some praises for it. but i am still looking for some feedback on jumping flash.

i also never played a lot of the jrpgs that interest me now (alundra, arc the lad, a few more) and i'd like to play something in the vein of zelda: link to the past.

Message 6 of 17 (380 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
16 posts

Sep 19, 2012

@alien_jew_420

That's an awesome idea and doesn't seem like it would be too difficult to do.

It has my vote.

Keeping fingers crossed.

Message 7 of 17 (369 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
339 posts

[ Edited ]
Sep 19, 2012

Final Fantasy VII has held up to time for me. If you're not a graphics **bleep**, but I think the graphics are pretty beautiful looking at times tho the blocky character look might not be for everyone especially little kids who grew up playing halo and gears of war.  Still would like a remake on the graphics even tho the graphics don't bother me just so I can have more fun with the game. 

Message 8 of 17 (361 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
293 posts

Sep 19, 2012

ff7 was a whole different experience. i didn't have the internet back then, and even so gamefaqs was not nearly as thorough and was a shell of what it is today. 

this time i kept a ff7 guide up on my phone and went for  "perfect" game. i ended up beating most everything, all the chocobos and crazy materia but didn't max out the lvls. still, it was a cool way to enjoy the game on new terms while taking a stroll down memory lane. the weird thing is i'm anti-trophy/achievements (waste of time i'd rather just play other games IMO) but some games you just wanna do everything! 

Message 9 of 17 (355 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
27 posts

[ Edited ]
Sep 20, 2012

I would recommend blood omen: legacy of kain, for something in the vein of zelda a link to the past. Its not as good, and dosent have as many items or the charm, but its a really cool game nonetheless.

Its a ps1 classic, and i'm not sure if its on the vita store right now, but it is on the ps3 store, and im not positive you can transfer it to the vita yet, but if you can and you dont find a game to scratch that classic zelda itch give this one a try.

Edit: This is a reply to alien_jew_420 

Message 10 of 17 (331 Views)
0 Likes