Nov 30 2011
By: Incagneto Uncharted Territory 2090 posts

PS Vita games will not have fixed prices

4 replies 7 views Edited Nov 30, 2011

(sorry could only find one link to this. this was a copy past from site btw.)

Sony has declared that PlayStation Vita games shall do away with a fixed pricing model, instead using a range of different prices to help combat the rise of cheap smartphone games. That's Sony doing something adaptive and smart. I'm genuinely impressed.

"I think it would be safe to assume we will take a more tailored approach than perhaps we've done in the past," said SCEE CEO Jim Ryan. "It's our challenge to ensure that the gaming experience that we provide is closer to that TV console experience than it is to your 69p thing that you've downloaded on your iPhone. If we do that and we provide great value to the consumer on games like Uncharted, I think the possibility to sustain historic console type price points is there."

Ryan's words back up news that Japanese Vita prices will have quite a range to them.

I've wanted us to have a tiered pricing model for a very long time. It just makes sense to only charge a premium rate for the games that are guaranteed to sell for a premium rate, like the aforementioned Uncharted. Smaller titles and untested IP need a smarter price, and I'm incredibly intrigued to see how far Sony takes this.

Here's hoping that by "tailored prices" they don't mean "between fifty-five and sixty dollars."

http://www.destructoid.com/ps-vita-games-will-not-have-fixed-prices-216891.phtml

(this could be a bad thing or a good thing. funny thing this is  a more light post for Jim Sterling. normally there is more hate there heh. I also wan't to ponit out that the ps vita games in japan cost the same new as psp games new. also ps vita is cheaper to develop for then the psp was. the price will be $39.99 all signs point to that price not the price jim thinks it will be.)

http://share.blog.us.playstation.com/ideas/2012/07/21/option-to-buy-avatars-on-my-playstation-vita/
Message 1 of 5 (7 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
8821 posts

Re: PS Vita games will not have fixed prices

Nov 30, 2011

tiered pricing model? What does that mean? I know that digital versions will be cheaper (I doubt that much) but its I'm going to buy mostly physical copies whatever happens technically with Vita after launch I won't lose those purchases (I know that I can just re-download but now that its only set to two console download each that could pose a problem). Although there is something that I get out of just having the physical copy of a game, I don't know why.

Message 2 of 5 (7 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
2090 posts

Nov 30, 2011

@eaglefan129  it basically means the dev can decide if it is worth the $39.99 price tag.

http://share.blog.us.playstation.com/ideas/2012/07/21/option-to-buy-avatars-on-my-playstation-vita/
Message 3 of 5 (7 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
758 posts

Dec 1, 2011

Hey, didn't mean to double post yesterday.. Do you think this opens the Vita up for BIG games like Skyrim, Fallout, Red Dead Redemption, and OMG Borderlands?  I posted before where I said I'd pay more for a truly BIG game like the above.  What do you think? would you?

Message 4 of 5 (7 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
2090 posts

Dec 1, 2011

@submission44 this means more of that the devs can pick the price of the product. instead of it always being $40 so some could just sell it for $20 or if it is a bigger size card it could in theory cost more at that point. just atm though they are all $40 even uncharted golden abyss and that is 4gig in size.

maybe right now it is still undetermined. as in with this we will not know until more games come out. so that we can see a better range of game prices. if anything it does show right now that we are likely to get cheaper prices for downloads just like japan will.

Message 5 of 5 (7 Views)
0 Likes