Highlighted
Jan 29 2012
By: MuffynTop Lombax Warrior 107 posts

PS Vita can play PSP 1 Games, via emulation Will it get PS3'ed

10 replies 265 views Edited Jan 29, 2012

Will the PS Vita get PS3'ed. Meaning when the PS3 came out we were all told it could play PS2 games. Later we learned less than 1 year later that that featire was going away. Because new PS3'ed lacked a certain Emotion Engine chip to do teh emulation.

Fast forward to 2012 the PS Vita has selling point that it will play PSP 1 games via emulation. But I can bet you that most likely later version of the Vita will lack any emulation.

So will you still buy the VITA if it could not play PSP games? 

(in reality there are like 5 PSP games worth caring about anyways)

Message 1 of 11 (265 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
2090 posts

Re: PS Vita can play PSP 1 Games, via emulation Will it get PS3'ed

Jan 29, 2012

MuffynTop wrote:

Will the PS Vita get PS3'ed. Meaning when the PS3 came out we were all told it could play PS2 games. Later we learned less than 1 year later that that featire was going away. Because new PS3'ed lacked a certain Emotion Engine chip to do teh emulation.

Fast forward to 2012 the PS Vita has selling point that it will play PSP 1 games via emulation. But I can bet you that most likely later version of the Vita will lack any emulation.

ps vita will not play playstation classic games. until they update fix it. they do have plans for it to fix it. (not sure why it needed fixing in the first place since I never read anything after that.)  well that was the ps3 they took out stuff so that it was cheaper. (so sony says.) as the psp always added features and never removed any. did you forget about the psp?  the ps vita is going by the same market Ideal's as the psp just improved (so sony says). it is a handheld not a home console. history says sony treats there handheld's differently then the home consoles.

what happened with the ps3 will not happen with the ps vita. example look at the psp. (excuse there experiment they did with the psp go. sony even admits it was a experiment.)

http://share.blog.us.playstation.com/ideas/2012/07/21/option-to-buy-avatars-on-my-playstation-vita/
Message 2 of 11 (265 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
538 posts

Jan 29, 2012

I very much doubt Sony will remove PSP compatibility. Unlike the PS3 which was not an "extension" of the PS2 the Vita is an extension of the PSP. The Vita expands on the PSP 's digital download service on the PSN. It uses software emulation as opposed to hardware so there is no financial reason for Sony to remove it. If anything it expands the library of compatible games on the Vita even more.

Message 3 of 11 (265 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
2090 posts

Jan 29, 2012

BlackKnightJP wrote:

I very much doubt Sony will remove PSP compatibility. Unlike the PS3 which was not an "extension" of the PS2 the Vita is an extension of the PSP. The Vita expands on the PSP 's digital download service on the PSN. It uses software emulation as opposed to hardware so there is no financial reason for Sony to remove it. If anything it expands the library of compatible games on the Vita even more.

that is what I was saying in another way. yes I word things weirdly.

http://share.blog.us.playstation.com/ideas/2012/07/21/option-to-buy-avatars-on-my-playstation-vita/
Message 4 of 11 (265 Views)
0 Likes
Keyblade Wielder
10930 posts

Jan 29, 2012

MuffynTop wrote:

As far as I'm concerned, the Vita can't play PSP games. I have a PSP and 5 or 6 UMD games.... I can't play them... I'm certainly not going to pay to buy the same game that I already have digitally

Message 5 of 11 (265 Views)
0 Likes
Last Guardian
11821 posts

Jan 29, 2012

XrobX wrote:

MuffynTop wrote:

As far as I'm concerned, the Vita can't play PSP games. I have a PSP and 5 or 6 UMD games.... I can't play them... I'm certainly not going to pay to buy the same game that I already have digitally

oh it cant run umd disc games, it doesnt change the faqct that it can play psp games just that you have to get them digitally

>

Message 6 of 11 (265 Views)
0 Likes
PIayStation MVP
12905 posts

Jan 29, 2012

MuffynTop wrote:

I highly doubt that PS1 emulation will be removed from the Vita, especially since Sony can make money on its sale on the digital versions on PSN.

If you contrast this with the PS3, Sony didn't make any money directly allowing PS2 games to run on the early PS3 models, since digital PS2 games weren't available on PSN at that time.

I have also read in Game Informer magazine that Sony said that the Vita is capable of PS2 emulation, which I believe means at some point the Vita should be capable of playing the PS2 Classics available on PSN.

Message 7 of 11 (265 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1362 posts

Jan 30, 2012

I highly doubt they will remove PSP compatibility.  In the PS3's case, the reason for no more PS2 backwards compatibility was because they had to physically include PS2 hardware in the PS3, which increased costs and weight.  But the Vita does not have any PSP hardware, it is completely emulation.

Message 8 of 11 (265 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1362 posts

Jan 30, 2012

XrobX wrote:

MuffynTop wrote:

Or you could sell them and buy them on the PSN.

Message 9 of 11 (265 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
6 posts

Jan 30, 2012

You may have noticed that the feature got removed out of new Ps3 models, but kept in the old ones. If you got one of the first Ps3's, its still compatable. The reason it was removed was they took out the actual Ps2 hardware that was in there, to lower the price.

The PsP1 emulation is softare. Removing it won't save them any money.

Message 10 of 11 (265 Views)
0 Likes