Apr 26 2013
By: Mantiskilla Lombax Warrior 122 posts

PS Vita and its future

[ Edited ]
26 replies 384 views Edited Apr 26, 2013

Bored at the office as its Friday so figured I would voice some opinions (worries?) about the PS Vita.  As a consumer who owns a Vita (which I'm sure quite of few in this community do) I stumbled upon a report that quite honestly is pretty sad.  So a leaked NPD report shows that the PSP back in December 2005 sold 1.13 million units in the US which frankly considering the PSP wasn't a huge success until late in the cycle is pretty darn good.  On the flipside the Vita to date has sold barely 1 million units within its 1st year.  Here is a link should you want to read the article

http://wololo.net/2013/04/20/the-cold-truth-ps-vita-sold-less-in-one-year-than-the-psp-in-1-month/

Now I know there have been a lot of other threads regarding the Vita with angles like this but hear me out.  

One thing I never quite get is when I read about how the Wii U is doing so awful right now.  Now I'm not here to defend Wii U; however, it seems to me that the Wii U gets a lot more mud thrown at it, but we have the Vita which has been out longer and is still struggling big time.  Now im not one for like bad pub on any machine b/c I want the industry to succeed plus personally i have invested interest in them all since I own them; however, I think at some point fans of the Vita need to start voicing up or at least the media needs to start asking Sony some tough questions on why the handheld isn't drawing up interest.

Now I know back in 2005 the smartphone and tablet scene wasn't nearly as big, but that being said I'm sorry..to sell more PSPs in 1 month than this new fantastic handheld can't even sell in a year even with a holiday season is starting to get me a little worried.  E3 is coming up and usually I don't pay much attention to what is a "hype train" circus, but I'm gonna be real interested in how Sony approachs the Vita.  It seems like the "wait till E3" is the excuse for the Vita appoligists right now; however, what happens when E3 passes and all we hear is it can do PS4 connectivity, and its large lineup if indie games?  Frankly I don't think I'll be the only one who will feel a bit slighted on buying this piece of powerful hardware expecting more and in the end getting not really "less" but more like "unfulfilled."

Now don't get me wrong there are games coming out for it for sure, but to me at least it just feels like the Vita is getting the exact same treatment with 3rd party people as the Wii U is currently getting yet we just don't see the outcry for the Vita to do well.  I dunno maybe the general gaming populace just agrees with the fact that 3DS is just frankly better right now (i admit i think it is Fire Emblem and Monster Hunter alone are fantastic!) and Sony has always been just a "has been" on the handheld market scene so most don't care.  Or maybe its b/c if the Vita ends up just churning out tons of indie games that most consumers will just say "ah forget it I got my PC, Smartphone, and tablet for that"

I really want this handheld to do well and I've invested a large library of games to support it (I love fighting games and the Vita ports are extremely well done).  I figured I would post my thoughts on this board to get like minded Sony and/or Vita fans alike to voice what they feel about the impending future of the Vita.  Sorry for such a long post but I hope after reading this some intellegent comments will facilatate a nice discussion.

Message 1 of 27 (384 Views)
0 Likes
Ghost of Sparta
11942 posts

Re: PS Vita and its future

Apr 26, 2013

If E3 comes and Sony completly ignores the Vita, then I'll be worried. But seeing how well they did the PS4 presentation, I have hope they've figured something out for the Vita. All it really needs at the moment is a handful of triple A games, and a price cut.

Message 2 of 27 (368 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
891 posts

Apr 26, 2013

I would also be very worried if the Vita barely got a mention at E3. There is also the PS4 connection to take into consideration as well in terms of interest and sales picking up for the system. As far as tablets and smartphones go, I don't think they threaten the Vita or even the 3DS.

I think before Sony spent a fortune on R&D for the Vita they took the current market and future market into consideration. Let's see what happens at E3 and again after the PS4 launch. If things don't move much by/in 2014 then there is cause for concern. Either way, I'm a happy camper being able to replay PSone/PSP gems. Guess I'm easy to please lol

photo wizard_zps4173ab5c.png
Message 3 of 27 (350 Views)
0 Likes
Survivor
2536 posts

Apr 26, 2013
To be honest, at E3 they'd need to announce at least 5 new, never heard of before, AAA games to give us the impression that they care about the PSV and have a clue for its future. The PS4 has all first party developers working on it. It always makes me wonder how the hell the same wasn't done for the PSV. Sony has treated it like an after thought, which is quite sad~.

Indie games are going to be a great asset, but indie games can't compare to AAA franchises like FF, RE, Castlevania, Persona, Shin Megami Tensei, GTA etc. Even at their worst, those games are still enjoyable to play. Indie games are, and will always be, indie games. They just can't compare. Am I concerned about the PSV's future? Yeah, Sony's stupid decisions of not cutting the price overseas screams suicide~.

PS4? Couldn't care less, connectivity can't make a console. If the PSV can't stand on its own then it can be said it's just a failure. It's a shame, because the system is perfect. Slick controls, great hardware, orgasmic OLED display. But without games (and for the love of God, enough with ports), killer exclusives, it'll just keep on being the system that is outsold 10 to 1 by the 3DS~.
Message 4 of 27 (342 Views)
Lombax Warrior
226 posts

[ Edited ]
Apr 26, 2013

I Think SONY is going to focus on PS4VITA this E3 because i have a feeling they will bundle VITA with PS4 and also drop the price on memory card and and the system otherwise lot of gamers would be mad. including myself. i want  a 32GB card and i will not pay 100 dollars for it.

<script src="http://www.gmodules.com/ig/ifr?url=http://www.google.com/ig/modules/youtube.xml&up_channel=PSVITAGAMES22&synd=open&w=320&h=390&title=&border=%23ffffff%7C3px%2C1px+solid+%23999999&output=js"></script>

Message 5 of 27 (335 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
250 posts

[ Edited ]
Apr 26, 2013

After the huge sales boost in Japan, They should be making more for it.

But things like Jak & Daxter, Sly Collection and PS4 Connection coming to the Vita is a step in the right direction.

PS1~PS2~PS3~PSP~PS Vita~Dreamcast.
-Killzone Mercenary Beta Tester
Free userbars
Message 6 of 27 (332 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
891 posts

Apr 26, 2013

JuanMdP wrote:

PS4? Couldn't care less, connectivity can't make a console. If the PSV can't stand on its own then it can be said it's just a failure. It's a shame, because the system is perfect. Slick controls, great hardware, orgasmic OLED display. But without games (and for the love of God, enough with ports), killer exclusives, it'll just keep on being the system that is outsold 10 to 1 by the 3DS~.

The PS4 could simply be a means to an end. If it will make people go out and buy Vitas then developers will bring the games. I agree with you though, I love the Vita. It's just amazing from head to toe but it needs those AAA exclusives to show off it's potential.

photo wizard_zps4173ab5c.png
Message 7 of 27 (321 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
2785 posts

Apr 26, 2013

The Vita could play a big part in Sony's strategy

Message 8 of 27 (316 Views)
Hekseville Citizen
350 posts

Apr 27, 2013

JuanMdP wrote:
To be honest, at E3 they'd need to announce at least 5 new, never heard of before, AAA games to give us the impression that they care about the PSV and have a clue for its future. The PS4 has all first party developers working on it. It always makes me wonder how the hell the same wasn't done for the PSV. Sony has treated it like an after thought, which is quite sad~.

Indie games are going to be a great asset, but indie games can't compare to AAA franchises like FF, RE, Castlevania, Persona, Shin Megami Tensei, GTA etc. Even at their worst, those games are still enjoyable to play. Indie games are, and will always be, indie games. They just can't compare. Am I concerned about the PSV's future? Yeah, Sony's stupid decisions of not cutting the price overseas screams suicide~.

agree here

TBH here I don't care about PSV/PS4 cross play / remote play or whatever they call it , I didn't pay 250$ just to be able to play games from any other gameing systems , and again TBH I like handhelds , I loved the psp and was happy with it , at time when I had both ps3 and psp I didn't use my ps3 at all and from now I know myself I won't buy ps4 because it will only collect dust like my ps3 did, as for my vita I loved it when I bought it at first and I still love it now, but seeing there is alot of indie games (and again I didn't pay 250$ for indie games) and ports while there are only few vita exclusive here I'm really concerned , so I will wait to see what happen at E3 as JuanMdP said they need to announce at least 5 new, never heard of before, AAA games otherwise I might sell my PSV and get me another handheld, and it's really sad the PSV is great but seems sony ignoring it .

Message 9 of 27 (288 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1306 posts

Apr 27, 2013

The only thing that saddens me about vita isn't the vita itself; just the perception people have that there are "no gaemz" and that it sells low, therefore no one wants it. 

To the average bluecollar game enthusiast, there are lots of games on the device both for the time its been out (about one year) and for people with an open mind. 

I'm looking forward to sharing my experiences on Terraria and Soul Sacrifice with my VITA. ^^

Message 10 of 27 (283 Views)
0 Likes