Mar 06 2012
By: Ming_Dragon Wastelander 842 posts

PS Vita Users Guide (Problems/Fixes + Useful Tips) Updated 3/5

155 replies 47275 views Edited Mar 6, 2012

So, based off of my experience and knowledge while browsing the forums and helping others, I have a pretty good indication of whats a problem, and how to fix it should it arise. Here are a few things that may seem like problems but arnt, and some fixes to a certain number of other actual problems. I hope you find this guide useful.

Q1: I am seeing black splotches in my screen, mostly during loading screens.

A1: This is a normal part of OLED technology. OLED's may in some cases exhibit slightly darker regions. Because the darker regions are only visible when viewing the black screen in a very dark environment, they will not interfere with general use/gameplay. Most importantly, they don't change over time and are typical for this generation of OLED material. They in no way indicate a problem or defective screen.

Q2: My downloads stop when I put my system into Sleep Mode.

A2: This is an error in the firmware. If you manually switch the PSV to sleep, the download progression will stop. HOWEVER, if you let it go to sleep on its own, it will continue downloading. Hopefully, this error will be resolved in the next firmware update.

Q3: My screen freezes up after awakening while charging.

A3: Also an error in the firmware. To avoid this, Switch your PSV to off while charging, OR unplug your charger before awakening the PSV from its sleep. Additionally, if you are already affected by the problem, press and hold the POWER button for 15 seconds, and it will cycle you to the main menu screen.

Q4: My network features keep getting disabled when playing games like Uncharted: Golden Abyss.

A4: This is normal. Some games use a relatively large amount of data and memory, so the network features need to be disabled while playing to prevent lag, crashing, or other problems with the system during use. However, if you press the PS button to return to LiveArea, your network features will be re-enabled until you return to the game.

Q5: I have a stuck/dead pixel.

A5: This is probably the only serious error in which the hardware is at fault. In this case, contact Sony or your place of purchase and return it for a new system.

Q6: Even during sleep, my PS button stays a glowing blue.

A6: This means you have a notification or pending download. To get it to go away, check your messages, friend requests, and active downloads, and take care of them accordingly.

Q7: When I first charge my Vita after it dies, the orange PS charge light flashes instead of glowing steady.

A7: This is normal. The flashing orange light indicates the PSV doesn't yet have enough power to start up. The light will return to glowing a steady orange when it is about 10-15% charged.

Q8: My system does not power off normally/not at all.

A8: The proper way to shut down your PSV is to press and hold the power button for 2 seconds, and press "Shut Down" when the drop menu appears. You may have some difficulties shutting down the system properly if you have multiple programs running, or your Game Access Indicator is blinking (This is located next to your gamecard- it will flash orange), Please make sure you close all programs and stop all downloads before turning off your PSV.

Q9: My Near location is WAY off.

A9: Performing a factory reset is a known fix for this issue. A factory reset will not delete any of your data, just the trophies saved on your PSV. Make sure you sync your trophies to your PSN account before doing a factory reset. After re-playing your games, your trophies will re-appear on your PSV. Another possible reason is that you may not be near any wifi access points that are in the Skyhook Wireless database, thus you may not be able find your location. If you have your own access point go to their website and add your location. The PSV's Near application is based off of Skyhook Wireless. http://skyhookwireless.com/location-technology/coverage.php

Unfortunately, it could take anywhere from 1-2 weeks for your location to be updated into the database.

Q10: Apps not in the store, including AR (Augmented Reality) games.

A10: The Apps will not be realsed until the PSV's official release date, Feburary 22nd. Until then, apps such as Facebook and Netflix won't be available. This also goes for the AR (Augmented Reality) games which go with the included AR cards.

Q11: Some PSP games arn't appearing in the Playstation Store on my PSV.

A11: Only some 275 PSP titles are available for direct download onto the PSV. However, more titles can be downloaded and transfered over to the PSV via the PS3's Store, in which all titles are available.

Q12: The rear touch-pad has stopped working.

This is another firmware issue. Restarting the PSV should fix the problem.

Q13: Im having another type of issue in which my device is acting strange or wont turn off/taking a long time to turn off.

A13: Hold down the power button for about 30 seconds. A menu should pop up with different recovery options. In these types of cases, resetting will fix most issues.

Q14: My PSV keeps disconnecting from Wi-Fi.

A14: The Vita will disconnect Wi-Fi after a set period of time to save battery while it is not in use, and automatically reconnect should you active something that requires Wi-Fi (Such as the browser). Check and make sure this is not the case before reading on.

The actual problem varies from person to person and router to router. Some say changing the Wi-Fi type will resolve the issue, such as changing it from WPK2 to WEP. More say that changing the channel bandwith (or channel itself) will also resolve the issue. If the bandwith is set to 20MHz, change it to 40MHz and re-connect. Others say portforwarding will resolve the issue as well. You can port forward by accessing your router settings, just make sure your router is configured properly according to your ISP type. Do Not port to '80' or '53'. The problem varies upon router and current settings, so some may have to mess with their settings, while others will have to wait until the PSV gets an update for improved wireless compatability.

Q15: I'm having issues with my DLC (Wont show up in game/ not working).

A15: Make sure your game you are downloading DLC for is updated to the latest version. To update your game, when you first click it (before pressing Start) on the mainscreen, look in the top left corner. There should be an orange circle with an arrow pointing down inside it. Click it, and your game will update to the latest version. now re-download your DLC and it should work.

Q16: Vita will not connect to Wi-Fi/ PC at work or school but works fine at home.

A16: The Vita does not currently support WPA/WPA2-Enterprise networks, which is (usually) what work computers and school wifi-pc's are set up with. there may be an update later on to support them, but currently there is no workaround.

Q17: My Vita won't turn on.

A17: While charging, make sure the Orange PS button is not flashing. If it is flashing, this means the PSV does not have enough power to start up. If that is not the case, then press and hold the following buttons: "Power+R+PS" and it will start up.

Q18: Youtube or anything flash-based doesn't work on my Vita.

A18: The Vita supports HTML5, not Flash. This is because Adobe dropped support for mobile devices (for whatever reason). Youtube and other flash-based websites may be added in future updates, but are currently unavailable at this time.

Q19: I'm getting an error code.

A19: Click this link to see all of the Vita-specific error codes. The fix is also listed: http://us.playstation.com/support/answer/index.htm?a_id=3831

Help Guide- How to Use Specific Functions of Your PS Vita.

Q1: How do I connect to Content Manager?

A1: These are the steps to connect your VITA to your PS3 with Content Manager:

Step 1: Press the "Content Manager" bubble on the VITA screen.

Step 2: Press "Start"

Step 3: Turn on your PC's content manager or turn on your PS3 system. If you need the Content Manager for PC, you can find it here:

http://cma.dl.playstation.net/cma/win/en/index.html

Step 4: Plug in your PSV to either the PS3 or PC.

Step 5: Press "Connect to a PS3 System/PC"

Step 6: Connect the VITA to your PS3/PC and you're good to go.

Q2: Now that I am connected to CM, how to I transfer data?

Step 1: When your PS3 and Vita are connected, all the navigation is done through the Vita.

Step 2: Select a folder type in which you will find the type of media you wish to copy (Ie: Music)

Step 3: Click on the content you wish to transfer, and it will beging copying to your Vita.

Q3: How can I take a screenshot?

A3: Press the PS button + Start button at the same time to take a screen shot. Please allow anywhere from 3-12 seconds for it to save to your camera roll. Please take note that not all games will allow you to take a screenshot.

Q4: I have already been signed up for 1 month. How do I obtain my free month/Game?

A4: ICEJACKEL has posted a thread to assist users with this. Please follow this link for more information:

http://community.us.playstation.com/thread/4670221?tstart=0

Q5: How do I move around my icons?

A5: Touch and hold a blank part of the screen until it changes. This is edit mode. You will notice each bubble has a little white circle next to it now. Press and hold these circles to move the bubles around. Press the box in the bottom right corner on each page to change the theme. Press the circle with a + in it to add a new page. To exit edit mode, press the <-- in the bottom left.

Q6: What if I want to get extended coverage for my Vita?

A6: No worries! Sony offers an additional protection plan. Read more about it here http://us.playstation.com/support/protection-plan/pricing/index.htm

The plan extends your coverage by 12-24 months, and covers anything from tech support to part replacement/service centers.

Q7: I don't fully understand how location works on the PS Vita with Near and the Map applications.

A7: This should provide you with a good explination:  http://manuals.playstation.net/document/en/psvita/settings/location.html

Stickied by Sushi_Pirate. Thank You

Thank you to all that contributed to this guide!

Message 110 of 156 (47,275 Views)
Wastelander
673 posts

Re: Quickfixes if you're having problems.

Feb 20, 2012

THANKYOU! I was gonna do a post like this, but no doubt it'll be a waste of time as people will still post before reading.

Message 1 of 156 (47,275 Views)
Lombax Warrior
182 posts

Feb 20, 2012

this is great thank you! now i'll be ready for when i get my vita at midnight wed

Message 2 of 156 (47,275 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
673 posts

Feb 20, 2012

Do you mind if I copy this over to the EU forums?

Message 3 of 156 (47,275 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
842 posts

Feb 20, 2012

Not at all, go ahead.

Message 4 of 156 (47,275 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
673 posts

Feb 20, 2012

Done, cheers.

Message 5 of 156 (47,275 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
842 posts

Feb 20, 2012

Edit: Added a Q9 for NEAR issues. Update the Eu post accordingly.

Message 6 of 156 (47,275 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
3915 posts

Feb 20, 2012

Awesome post. Something like this should be stickied.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Message 7 of 156 (47,275 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
842 posts

Feb 20, 2012

Lol I will. Thanks, I'll also add an 11 for the use of AR cards.

Message 8 of 156 (47,275 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
922 posts

Feb 20, 2012

Problem #6 just annoys me to no end. Everyone on my friends list is constantly signing in or sending messages all day long that its always flashing. Hopefully they allow this feature to be turned off in the future.

Message 9 of 156 (47,275 Views)
0 Likes