Treasure Hunter
6428 posts

Re: PS Vita Teardown, I smell BS....

Jan 20, 2012

I agree with that. Dropping it is a definite possibility lol.

Check out my PlayStation dedicated blog, PlayStation Persuasion!

http://playstationpersuasion.tumblr.com/

PSN: ScreamAimFire999 [PS4, PS3, PS Vita Owner]
Twitter: @PSPersuasion

Message 11 of 17 (6 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
561 posts

Jan 20, 2012

Bottom line even with the teardown price being accurate (lets assume here, but I have my doubts like the OP)

159.10 in parts and assembly...

Now package (box, plastic, instruction manual, those AR cards, etc

Then put in on a truck (Gas, selling to wholesaler, drivers, loaders etc)

Then a ship or a plane (more gas, more loaders, Drivers/pilots, sell to retailer)

Then truck it to a store ( again as above, but no wholesaler)

Each step adds cost from the factory door to the game store shelf. I imagine that everyone in the line (except the drivers) is making a very little bit of money, margins so thin that loss is more likely then profit. I can see no problem with the price point and I too see Sony playing a long game, taking a hit on the hardware and letting game and accessory sales be their profit area. The proof for any gaming system is always in the software, and despite some of the more vocal threads, Sony gets the software out there and they try to keep up the support for that software.

My feb 15th bundle is going to get a serious workout for a couple of days as I make the transition to giving up my Vader2000 PSP to the boy.

Hope to see y'all there and add me when you get yours.

Alacrity

AlacrityFitz Trophy Card
Message 12 of 17 (6 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
758 posts

Jan 20, 2012

Yeah, I ( reluctantly ) gave my psp 3000 to my son.  He had it about a month now and the other day got rid of MY Monster hunter save.....150 hrs gone.. be careful back up all YOUR saves to a pc.  Have fun with your Vita!!!

Message 13 of 17 (6 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
2090 posts

Jan 20, 2012

submission44 wrote:

Yeah, I ( reluctantly ) gave my psp 3000 to my son.  He had it about a month now and the other day got rid of MY Monster hunter save.....150 hrs gone.. be careful back up all YOUR saves to a pc.  Have fun with your Vita!!!

you just named the number one problem with sharing a dedicated handheld.

http://share.blog.us.playstation.com/ideas/2012/07/21/option-to-buy-avatars-on-my-playstation-vita/
Message 14 of 17 (6 Views)
0 Likes
Monster Hunter
35 posts

Jan 20, 2012

Keep in mind that a lot of R&D went into this device.  That alone is a huge factor, probably moreso than shipping and transport.

Message 15 of 17 (6 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
6043 posts

Jan 21, 2012

Yea I thought it was off too. 9$ for ram, 3$ for TWO cameras, etc. some stuff is really low considering..... Especially so when they said the 3DS was almost the same price dispite being way lower tech......

photo newforumsig_zps5ec69817.png
Message 16 of 17 (6 Views)
0 Likes
Highlighted
Gaming Beast
2414 posts

Jan 29, 2012

FYI, some more info on this, read a response to this article on another gaming site....

"

Your statement of most hardware is sold at hardware loss is incorrect (the PS3 is more of an exception). They are sold at a development cost per unit + Bill of materials (BOM) loss.

There seem to be some problems with BOM cost of Fred Dutton vs the UBM tear down:

First of all take 14% VAT off $299, then import duties etc (mentioned by Fred but not Geoffrey).

The MDM6200 modem is not included (depending on pricing that can be $30 to $60 extra), none of the power amps (which are expensive since the they have to be  very efficient and stay cool). FOUR PCBs, that will be at least three times more expensive than a single PCB of the size of four put together. Also the GPS isn't separate but part of the MDM6200. No idea why he includes $7 NAND flash, as far as I can see it forms part of the Processor package."

He seems to know way more about the internals than I do, may account for at least some of the discrepancy in price.

Insert more politically correct signature here

Message 17 of 17 (6 Views)
0 Likes