Highlighted
Jan 20 2012
By: Mornelithe Gaming Beast 2414 posts

PS Vita Teardown, I smell BS....

16 replies 60 views Edited Jan 20, 2012

So, I just happened upon a teardown summary article posted on Eurogamer, where they got build information from another site called UBM Technisights and I have to say, I'm calling BS on this already.  From my recent experience with Sony, I've known they've sold all their hardware at a loss from the onset, to increase market penetration.  Now, according to the article, this is not only wrong in the case of the Vita, but so emphatically wrong that it sounds...just way too odd.  The wierd thing is, the site in question doesn't actually list any parts costs (as would normally be associated with an isuppli teardown).  These prices were apparently received during a conversation with the VP of UBM.  Anyone familiar enough with materials costs to be able to give some insight?  I mean, if Sony has as much legroom on price, that this teardown would suggest, I simply find it hard to believe they'd be charging as much for the Vita as they are.  Overall build cost of $159.10, is what Eurogamer is claiming....that just seems way too low for what's being packed into this device.

Anyway, thought it was interesting that they'd have an article with all these prices, based off of a teardown that shows no prices at all.

Insert more politically correct signature here

Message 1 of 17 (60 Views)
0 Likes
Gaming Beast
2414 posts

Re: PS Vita Teardown, I smell BS....

Jan 20, 2012

Incagneto wrote:

also is that just the prices of the parts? because you have to pay people to put these parts into the systems.

The article doesn't mention assembly costs, as far as I can tell, unless 'Other $30' counts.  So, your guess is as good as mine.

Message 2 of 17 (60 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
2090 posts

Jan 20, 2012

Mornelithe wrote:

So, I just happened upon a teardown summary article posted on Eurogamer, where they got build information from another site called UBM Technisights and I have to say, I'm calling BS on this already.  From my recent experience with Sony, I've known they've sold all their hardware at a loss from the onset, to increase market penetration.  Now, according to the article, this is not only wrong in the case of the Vita, but so emphatically wrong that it sounds...just way too odd.  The wierd thing is, the site in question doesn't actually list any parts costs (as would normally be associated with an isuppli teardown).  These prices were apparently received during a conversation with the VP of UBM.  Anyone familiar enough with materials costs to be able to give some insight?  I mean, if Sony has as much legroom on price, that this teardown would suggest, I simply find it hard to believe they'd be charging as much for the Vita as they are.  Overall build cost of $159.10, is what Eurogamer is claiming....that just seems way too low for what's being packed into this device.

Anyway, thought it was interesting that they'd have an article with all these prices, based off of a teardown that shows no prices at all.

My PC is better than your console!
Intel Core 2 Quad Q9400 @ 3.0ghz
EVGA nForce 790i FTW Mobo
EVGA GTX260 Core 216 GPU
4g Corsair XMS3 DDR3 PC12800 @ 1500MHZ
Zalman CNPS 9700 NT CPU Cooler

also is that just the prices of the parts? because you have to pay people to put these parts into the systems.

http://share.blog.us.playstation.com/ideas/2012/07/21/option-to-buy-avatars-on-my-playstation-vita/
Message 3 of 17 (60 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
2090 posts

Jan 20, 2012

Mornelithe wrote:

Incagneto wrote:

The article doesn't mention assembly costs, as far as I can tell, unless 'Other $30' counts.  So, your guess is as good as mine.

everything is cheaper if you put the parts in your self even cheaper if you make them your self.

also a article awhile ago sony has said that it would take 3 years before they see a profit off the ps vita it self. sony has also said is that they will not do the same thing as they did with the ps3. another article says that sony said was they will not lose as much money as they did with the ps3 or was it as long as they did with the ps3.

do I have to find these articles?

http://share.blog.us.playstation.com/ideas/2012/07/21/option-to-buy-avatars-on-my-playstation-vita/
Message 4 of 17 (60 Views)
0 Likes
Gaming Beast
2414 posts

Jan 20, 2012

Incagneto wrote:

everything is cheaper if you put the parts in your self even cheaper if you make them your self.

also a article awhile ago sony has said that it would take 3 years before they see a profit off the ps vita it self. sony has also said is that they will not do the same thing as they did with the ps3. another article says that sony said was they will not lose as much money as they did with the ps3 or was it as long as they did with the ps3.

Definitely recall seeing each of the articles you mention, however, this is the first teardown article for the Vita that I've seen.  As I said, I know Sony tends to sell their HW at a loss initially, which is why I respect them as much as I do.  Gouging the consumer like Apple or Nintendo is not something I'm fond of.

Message 5 of 17 (60 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
2090 posts

Jan 20, 2012

Mornelithe wrote:

Incagneto wrote:

Definitely recall seeing each of the articles you mention, however, this is the first teardown article for the Vita that I've seen.  As I said, I know Sony tends to sell their HW at a loss initially, which is why I respect them as much as I do.  Gouging the consumer like Apple or Nintendo is not something I'm fond of.

either way I'm still getting the ps vita at launch. its all about the games In the end.  oh is the IOS stuff apart of the pricing as well?

since IOS stuff also costs money to make as well.  so its the hardware also software(as in the IOS stuff) and how much it costs to put all the parts together are apart of the cost to make the system.

Message 6 of 17 (60 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
2090 posts

Jan 20, 2012

Incagneto wrote:

Mornelithe wrote:

Incagneto wrote:

either way I'm still getting the ps vita at launch. its all about the games In the end.  oh is the IOS stuff apart of the pricing as well?

since IOS stuff also costs money to make as well.  so its the hardware also software(as in the IOS stuff) and how much it costs to put all the parts together are apart of the cost to make the system.

R&D cost as well and there is incensing. since I know not all the parts that are in the ps vita are made by sony them self so they have to pay other company's to be able to use there stuff or have them make it for them and so on.

Message 7 of 17 (60 Views)
0 Likes
Gaming Beast
2414 posts

Jan 20, 2012

Incagneto wrote:

R&D cost as well and there is incensing. since I know not all the parts that are in the ps vita are made by sony them self so they have to pay other company's to be able to use there stuff or have them make it for them and so on.

I provided links to both articles in my original post (click on Eurogamer, or UBM).  Take a look and see for yourself.  There's no mention of OS pricing either, however, with the PS3 they lost ~230 more than what they were charging (launch 60g CECHA-01 model), and from what we've already heard from Sony regarding their pricing model, while they weren't planning on losing that much per unit, the reports/interviews didn't seem to suggest that they'd be tacking on so much for R/D and the OS costs either.  I could be wrong though.

I'm going to end up getting one myself (doubtful I'll have the money at launch, unfortunately), I just didn't expect to see such a markup, honestly.

Message 8 of 17 (60 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
2090 posts

Jan 20, 2012

Mornelithe wrote:

Incagneto wrote:

I provided links to both articles in my original post (click on Eurogamer, or UBM).  Take a look and see for yourself.  There's no mention of OS pricing either, however, with the PS3 they lost ~230 more than what they were charging (launch 60g CECHA-01 model), and from what we've already heard from Sony regarding their pricing model, while they weren't planning on losing that much per unit, the reports/interviews didn't seem to suggest that they'd be tacking on so much for R/D and the OS costs either.  I could be wrong though.

I'm going to end up getting one myself (doubtful I'll have the money at launch, unfortunately), I just didn't expect to see such a markup, honestly.

yeah I poked my eyes and well I did not mean to so I got that mark thingy. so its hard to read. I did get it though. if you read the comment's of the people alot of people are either saying it is bull crap or are saying well if you add R&D OS pricing and all that it ends up being a loss on sonys part. basically what is said anyway.

Message 9 of 17 (60 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
8179 posts

Jan 20, 2012

As Incagneto pointed out, Research And Development, Licensing, manufacturing costs come into play. That doesn't count Retailer Markup and the cost of trucking/shipping/freighting the product to your nearby store.

Also, the warranty. Nothing beats a 1 year period should something go wrong. And because it's a portable that's going to be rattled around, it's a good idea.

Message 10 of 17 (60 Views)
0 Likes