Jul 08 2011
By: zain1017 First Son 1 posts

PS Vita Sim Card

4 replies 1528 views Edited Jul 8, 2011

If the ps vita has a 3G data plan does it have a sim card? Cause if it does can't you just put your own sim card in if you have one and you'll have a data plan then

Message 1 of 5 (1,528 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1846 posts

Re: PS Vita Sim Card

Jul 9, 2011

Well according to the tech specs (you could have just looked that up on your own...) the 3G model DOES have a sim card slot. So I would assume yes it does have a sim card. If you could just use yours, I wouldn't know.

Get your Portable ID!
Motorstorm 80GB Bundle w/ 320GB HDD
Message 2 of 5 (1,528 Views)
0 Likes
Survivor
2613 posts

Jul 9, 2011

Aren't SIM cards mainly in cell phones? 3G or not? I'm assuming what ever it uses to grab and use the 3G is build into the device, which would explain the $50 price increase from the Wifi only one.

Deadly Neurotoxin!
 photo rsz_1rsz_11rsz_1000px-fpsword_zps44b9ca31.png
Message 3 of 5 (1,528 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1846 posts

Jul 9, 2011

The sim card is required to connect to the network. I don't know all the specifics about it. All I know is yes the 3G model does have a sim card slot.

Get your Portable ID!
Motorstorm 80GB Bundle w/ 320GB HDD
Message 4 of 5 (1,528 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
5189 posts

Jul 9, 2011

Bulletpainpills wrote:

Aren't SIM cards mainly in cell phones? 3G or not? I'm assuming what ever it uses to grab and use the 3G is build into the device, which would explain the $50 price increase from the Wifi only one.

SIM stand for "subscriber idendity module", it holds the identification number that links your account to what ever service they are providing (in this case 3Gdata). Most cellphone networks require one, it seems that Verizon has embedded that technology in the phone.

It allows you to just buy a new phone and swap SIM cards to carry on using the service that you pay for. You usually have to tell your company when you do this so that they can offer better service for your.

Another thing is that devices are usually locked to a network provider (and they can also put their own firmware features on it) unless you pay alot of money to get one that is unlocked.

Maybe AT&T are having some say about the firmware for the PSV and that will mean it will be locked to them until their contract with Sony ends.

Message 5 of 5 (1,528 Views)
0 Likes