Jul 10 2012
By: N1TROUSX First Son 3 posts

PS Vita Replacement Vertical Lines

[ Edited ]
25 replies 1426 views Edited Jul 10, 2012

Hey Guys & Gals,

I recently bought a PS Vita from my local Best Buy. Long story short, I ended up returning it as there was a pinkish hue/tint whenever I took a picture or recorded the video. The OLED display was flawless however - no vertical lines or black blotches. I went back to the store last week to get it exchanged and boy was that a mistake. My replacement had a TON of vertical lines. I could still see them even when I jacked the brightness all the way up and it was super noticeable in both dark and light backgrounds. I went back yesterday afternoon and exchanged it again and the vertical lines are present but only on the right hand of the screen. The left side of the screen is flawless lol. The vertical lines are very noticeable and distracting. Given that the backlight uniformity problem (vertical lines, blotches) is pretty common for many Vitas, should I try exchanging it one more time? I heard that one guy went through 7 Vita's before settling upon on one with little screen issues. For a $250 handheld this is pretty disappointing. You'd think that Sony would address this issue publicly but NOOOO. A Best Buy supervisor was also present when I made the exchange and he said that there are very little PS Vita returns and that he's never heard of customers complaining about screen issues. Guess I got unlucky with three Vitas?

Thanks.

Message 1 of 26 (1,426 Views)
Treasure Hunter
7724 posts

Re: PS Vita Replacement Vertical Lines

Jul 10, 2012
What does the vertical lines look like? Could anyone upload a properly focused photo?
Message 2 of 26 (1,411 Views)
0 Likes
Monster Hunter
42 posts

Jul 10, 2012

i think i may have gotten confused with what OP was talking about. mine look line the screen has a couple small scratches across the screen going vertical that are multicolored. is this what you have OP? ive never even hit my screen..

Message 3 of 26 (1,407 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
3 posts

Jul 10, 2012
Message 4 of 26 (1,401 Views)
Treasure Hunter
7724 posts

Jul 10, 2012
@Arfurr

Sounds like those are surface scratches. The screen's light is refracted due to the scratches and makes an ugly-looking rainbow. Hope that's the screen protector.
Message 5 of 26 (1,396 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
76 posts

Jul 11, 2012

interesting, just the other day i was playing MGS2 and noticed during a loading screen when the screen was totally black that there were black blotches in certain areas near the top right "quadrant" and various other places as well. i cant see them or at least dont notice them when im playing though, it was only when the screen is totally black and i believe i was also playing in a dark room (bad for the eyes, i know, but honestly my eyes cant get any worse or else id be totally blind lol)

Message 6 of 26 (1,336 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
12620 posts

Jul 11, 2012

supioriia wrote:

interesting, just the other day i was playing MGS2 and noticed during a loading screen when the screen was totally black that there were black blotches in certain areas near the top right "quadrant" and various other places as well. i cant see them or at least dont notice them when im playing though, it was only when the screen is totally black and i believe i was also playing in a dark room (bad for the eyes, i know, but honestly my eyes cant get any worse or else id be totally blind lol)

That's just what OLED screens do. All OLED screens are like that, you can't get rid of that.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Message 7 of 26 (1,334 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
76 posts

Jul 11, 2012

well either way, it doesnt interfere with my gaming experience and as long as it doesnt get worse then im ok with it lol

Message 8 of 26 (1,332 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
7724 posts

Jul 11, 2012

glaciusx25 wrote:

supioriia wrote:

That's just what OLED screens do. All OLED screens are like that, you can't get rid of that.

Mine also have black blotches when the screen is perfectly dark (loading screen) but I have to look hard for them to see them anyway. Not a problem.

Message 9 of 26 (1,324 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1578 posts

Jul 12, 2012

my first vita had the black blotches bad and one was visable all the time  right in the middle of the screen it sucked. my second vita is way better no screen problems this time.

http://uspgc.webs.com

#1XBOX #2 PSV #3 ps3 thumbs down. Shoo fly don't bother me!
AlbaTron209 EST.1985
Message 10 of 26 (1,245 Views)