Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Mar 19 2012
By: MattxAus First Son 10 posts

PS Vita Issues

18 replies 1528 views Edited Mar 19, 2012

I'll start this off on a light note and gradually get down to the more serious stuff:

I enjoy playing the Vita very much, even the launch titles, as few as they are, I am enjoying how they are using the features the Vita offers - when it works, that is, which brings us to the point of the thread - the problems:

Minor issues:
Back grips - why in the world someone would think anyone would hold a Vita upside down like a sandwich is anyones guess, at anyrate, having the back grips lining up with the inside of your knuckles is utterly useless. The 'natural' (using that term loosly, considering the poor ergonomics of the device) fit of the Vita requires your hand to be on the rear touchpad, often blasting off a skill or whatever game youre playing, that uses the rear touchpad.

L/R shoulder buttons - sure they look nice, but try using them as break/accelerator in racing games. Yeah. They rarely trigger, unless you pull them on the furthest side, which makes the Vita even harder to hold.

Home menu being all touchscreen - Why? What's wrong with giving the user an option? Added onto this is powering off the console, why do we need a touchscreen prompt for that when theres a button at the top?

Recovery Menu - Why is it on a 20second delay? 10seconds seems more reasonable. What person is going to stupidly hold down the powerbutton for 10seconds before realising his error? It is placed out of the way compared to the PSP. Excellent, but at least the PSP let you hard-reset it when you needed to, and without much trouble.

PSN Store is clumsy to navigate with the lack of genre/developer tags.

Near doesnt give any information at all really on the area youre in, basically "this many people have bought this game, heres a few of them on the map - check back in another hour to see the exact same stats for only this game!" (hyperbole, but only by so little an amount)

Less Minor issues:

A browser that doesnt support flash or html5 - I know it's "one of those things you'll get around to", but it took so long for a flawed fix on the PSP. I have no hopes for the future on this one.

20MB download cap on items via 3G - Having purchased a 1.5gb plan data sim from Vodafone for the purpose of using with the PSV, I'm very let down by how little it lets you actually use the 3G. I understand the limitations of 3G for gaming, and thats not what I'm getting at, I am purely interested at why there is a set cap in the first place. If anything, make it user defined, you guys arent the ones paying for the data usage, why do you care if someone downloads Wipeout 2048 via 3G or wifi if they so wished it?

Battery life - somewhat low, but understandable considering the how much is jammed into the PSV - the concern here is that it is unchangeable. What happens a year down the track, when the battery life is 15mins off charge, and were forced to pay 200 for a service or a new PSV? I think id buy an Xbox instead.

Peripheral attachments - Charging plug and headphones dead center? Why? To make it horribly awkward to play whilst charging? To make it impossible to listen to when it's anywhere but right out in front of you?

Limitation on the number of songs you can store on the PSV at any one time, regardless of how much space you have left on the memory card (Personally I was capped at a (supposed) ~1000songs, despite having 4gb remaining)

Large Issues:

Circle, Square, Triangle, X/Cross buttons - Not entirely sure where to start here exactly. It is probably best summed up by asking what you expect us to do every time a new fighting game comes out, eg Dissidia. They are small. They look, and feel like they would break if I stare at them too long.

The lack of password/username entry on wireless-lan connections (as far as I have seen) is troublesome (see "impossible") when trying to connect to, well, almost any network around.

Touchscreen freezing - a software bug which will be ironed out soon most likely, but none the less extremely aggrovating in its frequency.

Seemingly total system failure - the reason I created this thread:

Upon the touchscreen freezing, like any  informed PSV user, I promply resorted to the recovery menu (power button, 20seconds). Resetting the PSV it leads to a black screen, and nothing else. The PS button firmly blue. Retried the recovery menu - that's still working thankfully, reset. Nothing again. No way to fully power off the PSV to see if that resolves the problem, I have been sitting out the blue light for the past 7hours, waiting for it to run out of battery. (Who would have thought the battery can actually last that long, PSV still -partially- on? Amazing). While it's not a problem as easily defined as the others, it, obviously is the most frustrating. The PSV, not even a month old yet, already on what looks like it's deathbed.

----------------------------------------

While it does sound, and quite frankly is, justified complaining, like I stated at first, I do love the PSV to bits (which I can assure you it is not actually in many pieces), most of this is in the hope that when the "slim" version (I very much hope it wont be slimmer, just "improved" - and thicker would actually be nicer) is released in the next few years, that it will be a much more pleasant model to use and hold, and maybe with enough complaints/problems, the end product wont be a rushed, arthritis giving portable malfunction of undeniable fun, when it works.

MattxAus - (awaiting redundant comments like "did you try holding the power button for 20seconds" and "first!")

Please use plain text.
Message 1 of 19 (1,528 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
10 posts

Re: PS Vita Issues

Mar 20, 2012

I might add, that after about 10-12hours, the Vita did run out of battery, and after a little bit of charging, responded to a normal power up, PS logo, Warning, rebuilding corrupt database (as during one of the recovery mode resets, I had selected rebuild database to see whether that would give me a different screen - and no, it was just totally black) which promptly went to another black screen. after waiting about 6-8hours, with no indication of the rebuilding progress, I decided to go back into recovery mode, and force a restart there. Problem looks like it is solved, and the PSV seems to be mostly working now, just a few settings out of place, and home menu icons are all jumbled. Wifi connectivity in working order, 3G working fine (as slow as always, though), cameras appear to be fine, games work fine.

Is the recovery menus "rebuild database" supposed to go to a blank screen with no indication of completion, or was that just a problem I faced? Obviously if it is supposed to be a blank screen that looks exactly like an unresponsive PSV, complete with solid blue light, it should recieve some sort of progress bar in coming firmware updates if at all possible.

Please use plain text.
Message 2 of 19 (1,528 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
344 posts

Mar 20, 2012

Cant really agree to anything here, seems some people have different experiences and/or expectations from others, you might be better off just taking it back if you have that many issues with it and get that xbox instead because i really dont see the Vita already on its deathbed as you said.

Please use plain text.
Message 3 of 19 (1,528 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1243 posts

Mar 20, 2012

ChrisTerror wrote:

Cant really agree to anything here, seems some people have different experiences and/or expectations from others, you might be better off just taking it back if you have that many issues with it and get that xbox instead because i really dont see the Vita already on its deathbed as you said.

ChrisTerror Trophy Card

You obviously didn't understand what he wrote.

He was saying he thought HIS Vita was on its deathbed because it wouldn't restart at all even after doing a hard reset.

This was basically a list of things he'd like addressed when Sony does its inevitable hardware refresh in a couple years.

Please use plain text.
Message 4 of 19 (1,528 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1243 posts

Mar 20, 2012

MattxAus wrote:

Minor issues:
Back grips -  Not sure your holding it right then... I hold mine with index fingers on the triggers and therest of my fingers closed and resting in the little dips...

L/R shoulder buttons - I've never had them not trigger BUT, they dont feel like they are triggering. Theres not that satisfying clicky feel the PSP'd triggers had.

Home menu being all touchscreen - I like the home screen being touchscreen. Dunno if id necessarily use the controls if they were available as an alternate control scheme. But i figure i agree you should have the option, espescially for if the system borks and the touchscreen needs to be reset but the system itself isnt frozen.

Recovery Menu - It is a bit awkward, but im just glad it works.

PSN Store - It does have Genre... I dunno, i like the Vitas store over all but i KNOW that i have a minor issue with it, i just cant put mu finger on what it is. Ill have to figure it out and update this later.

Near - I kinda felt the same way until i read the manual for near particularly this page: http://manuals.playstation.net/document/en/psvita/near/flow.html

Now that i understand what im seeing when i use near im happy with it. Not that there arent improvements id like to see, just now i get it.

Less Minor issues:

Browser - Adobe stopped support for Flash on Mobile Devices in early 2011. Flash will not appear on any new Mobile device ever again unless its using an old outdated browser. As for HTML5 Sony says that is already in development, so dont know what else to say.

20MB download cap on items via 3G - Data Cap on 3G is Entirely determined by the Wireless Carrier not Sony. It sucks but what ya gonna do... :/

Battery life - I have a 2 Year replacement plan through Best buy, If the battery goes to crap before then ill be able to get it replaced Gratis. But this does make me curious to look into what Sony's battery replacement plan is like!

Peripheral attachments - I agree, Id like to see some kind of Angled Plug accesory in the future.

Limitation on the number of songs you can store on the PSV - What happened, did the vita give you a error message? Id like more info on this!

Large Issues:

Circle, Square, Triangle, X/Cross buttons - I'm not sure if we're having the same opinion or not cause im not sure of what you're getting at, But, My issue is that the buttons are a little awkwardly small. But im getting used to them.

Touchscreen freezing - I have not personally had just the touchscreen freeze, just the whole system freeze up. But it's only happened 3 times so far.

Seemingly total system failure - That sucks dude! Glad to see it got resolved though!

Please use plain text.
Message 5 of 19 (1,528 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
344 posts

Mar 20, 2012

understandable, Im on my second Vita because my first one felt like it was on its deathbed, so i exchanged it and my second now works great. However with his list of issues he has with it seems more like the Vita just simply may not be the system he should be playing for right now as a lot of the problems he has pointed out is software design and not his dying Vita. Not being rude by any means, just seems this is the system for him.

Please use plain text.
Message 6 of 19 (1,528 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
10 posts

Mar 21, 2012

I was detailing problems I have faced with my vita, both software, and hardware/form. Considering it is a new device, it is good to get other peoples opinions on it, as well as see if anyone else has had similar problems, so as we can either all share our solutions, or at least hope to get some community awareness on the problems faced, so we can see the problems solved for later users/consumers ( I for one, couldnt find anything on any forums or searches about a persistantly black screening PSV, so I may as well post a thread here for future troubleshooting on that problem - although I admit, in my frustration, I made it quite inaccessible to someone looking for quick information on that problem )

I do very much enjoy using the Vita when it is in working order, and it has huge potential in its future, it is just that right now, it is currently flawed, mostly in the software department, and in that large-ish list of problems, I did note the scale of the problem in "Minor", "Less Minor" and "Large" issue segments. the minor and less minor are things you can just deal with on the fly, things that arent that you only notice when the issue arises, and forget about soon after. The major issues however are things I find that severly restrict that enjoyment.

Anyway, thanks Woolyspud, I must admit I was surprised someone read that large wall of text, and responded quite neatly to it.

In regards to some of your replies;

Minor issues:
Back grips -  The device is slightly too thin for me to hold it comfortably with my hands like you suggested, while still being able to comfortably use my thumbs on the joysticks, as a result it often feels like its about to slip out of my hands (forwards), yet obviously, easily remedied with a wrist band (hence being minor, although if the device was thicker, it would offer more room for internal parts, such as a larger battery ;D)

L/R shoulder buttons - Depending on how you pull/press on them, they will trigger or not, if you have your hands almost wrapped around the sides of the Vita, and press on the top, occasionally it wont activate, you have to squeeze them from their ends to get it working 100% of the time (try playing a racing game using R as gas/accelerate and pushing on the trigger from the top, occasionally it will stutter, and the vehicle will stop moving)

Home menu being all touchscreen - I agree, the touchscreen/home works pretty much perfectly, This is really the most minor of all the issues here, only added really as on occasion, when the touchscreen stopped responding to input, it became impossible to naturally turn off the PSV, which forces you to resort to a hard reset/recovery menu) - button input to at least shutdown the PSV (or shortcuts even!) would be fantastic.

PSN Store - The Vita PSN store has Vita Games, Vita Addons, PSP/addons, Minis, Social etcetc, followed by alphanumeric sorting. No "RPG", "Racing", "FPS", "Strategy" type genre sorting/searching at all, unlike PS3 PSN (which has the Vita PSN inside it,  and that is probably why there is no Genre selection, as it is a higher tier selection on the PS3 PSN; it seems PSV's store just gets redirected straight to there)

Near - I have used Near for about an hour+ a day.  it just feels kind of bare. Still, plenty more room for innovation at any rate! I do enjoy getting free DLC from just walking around and exploring places and seeing some of the same PSVs popping up on the edge of the radar, I just thought there would be more bonuses of some sort by either travelling more, or "owning" a spot (oh I did enjoy being the first person within 4km with a PSV: "new location discovered, thought that would have been some sort of recognised achievement though. ahwell)

Less Minor issues:

Browser - The browser was always going to get an update at some point, it would have been nice to have HTML5 straight off the bat though, considering most mobile devices are used mostly for youtube and facebook.

20MB download cap on items via 3G - Had absolutely no idea that 3G itself was limiting downloads to 20mb. Good to know for future reference. Next up: a PSV download manager - splitting downloads into 20mb segments. *crosses fingers*

Limitation on the number of songs you can store on the PSV - Originally I had attempted to dump a fair few songs on the PSV memory card (16gb, minus 2 games), I forget the number, because I deleted them all off now (the PSV is not a great media player, considering the awkward 3.5mm jack placement ), but it -said- it had added about 1000 songs, most about 4mins long mp3s. Any attempt to add more songs was met with an error during the transfer "maximum limit reached" or something to that effect - no error log was produced in settings. thats about as descriptive as I can be without trying to replicate, and adding that "1000" songs took a few hours (I left it transferring overnight), so I dont care to replicate it, as no doubt many other people already have encountered it and posted it.

Large Issues:

Circle, Square, Triangle, X/Cross buttons - I'm The buttons are small, but they are easy enough to get used to for most games. I dont have any trouble using them on minis and whatnot, its just that they feel as if they dont have as large a life expectancy as the PSP ones did, that being said, they all feel as if they are all mounted exactly the same, unlike the PSP, where the square button was on a little overhang or something, and tended to break faster (or maybe I just spammed jump too many times when on my GTA phase)

-------------------
Sorry again guys for the massive wall of text, but I hope some, if any of this helps, (Spud, incase you didnt notice, I added some "information" on the song problem I faced, if that helps you in any way)

Please use plain text.
Message 7 of 19 (1,528 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1243 posts

Mar 21, 2012

MattxAus wrote:

I was detailing problems I have faced with my vita, both software, and hardware/form. Considering it is a new device, it is good to get other peoples opinions on it, as well as see if anyone else has had similar problems, so as we can either all share our solutions, or at least hope to get some community awareness on the problems faced, so we can see the problems solved for later users/consumers ( I for one, couldnt find anything on any forums or searches about a persistantly black screening PSV, so I may as well post a thread here for future troubleshooting on that problem - although I admit, in my frustration, I made it quite inaccessible to someone looking for quick information on that problem )

I do very much enjoy using the Vita when it is in working order, and it has huge potential in its future, it is just that right now, it is currently flawed, mostly in the software department, and in that large-ish list of problems, I did note the scale of the problem in "Minor", "Less Minor" and "Large" issue segments. the minor and less minor are things you can just deal with on the fly, things that arent that you only notice when the issue arises, and forget about soon after. The major issues however are things I find that severly restrict that enjoyment.

Anyway, thanks Woolyspud, I must admit I was surprised someone read that large wall of text, and responded quite neatly to it.

In regards to some of your replies;

Minor issues:
Back grips -  Ah, may be a difference in our hand sizes, i have large but thick hands, so that may make a difference, I do agree that the sytem is quite thin, Thinner then i expected. Im surprised that it didnt come with a strap too. Im currently using a Wiimote strap for min LOL!

L/R shoulder buttons - With the way i hold my vita my finger wraps along the top edge of the system. The middle of the tips of my index fingers align with the inner most edge of the trigger button. I press the trigger buttons with the inside of my fingers first joint from the tip. Dunno why this is now i do it, its kinda just how ive always do it. But it seems that doing it this way has yet to fail me.

Home menu being all touchscreen - Yeah i think it would be nice to at least have the ability to navigate the option menu screens and the Shutdown screen with the face buttons, espacially fo times the touch screen freezes. Interesting side note: Have you noticed that you dont even have to physically touch the screen sometmes for it to detect input? I find it kinda amusing.

PSN Store - Im wondering, Are you by any chance in Canada? It could be a Canada PSN Store thing, Im in the US and my PSN Store on the Vita has a Genre selection.

Near - Yeah i sorta agree, I use it a couple times a day to see if any gifts are found but thats it. Im hoping they'll expand on its functionality at some point. I still think its Neat, but "Neat" really isnt a term Sony should be aspireing to achieve. And Yes i think it would Be AWESOME to have trophies for Near just like foursquare has Badges for certain things. I think Sony should try and incorporate some more fouresquare like features into Near.

Less Minor issues:

Browser - Yeah i Agree it would have been nice, but one thing im glas about is that it at least supported CSS 2.1 out of the gate. That in and of itself makes the Vitas Web Browser at least better then Internet Explorer. CSS Rounded corners For the Win!

20MB download cap on items via 3G - Yeah its the 3G carriers that are doing it. M question is it just the vita they are doing it to or is it the same for all their Data Devices. Never managed to get an iPad, I had the choice of iPad vs Vita and was like, Uh no brainer Vita! (Not that i dont want an iPad, I totally do buit i can wait for that till later)

Limitation on the number of songs you can store on the PSV - Hmm, im going to have to look into this more cause thats Crazy to limit the number of files. Im not sure i's put ALL my songs on the Vita but i have well over 3000 MP3's and id like to know that if i had the storage capacity to do so i could carry my entire catalog with me. Yeah i have complaints with the music player myself(Actualy with the Multimedia apps in general) I don't know why in the world anyone would think it a good idea to segment the multimedia apps the way they did, I would have prefered there to be some kind of Unified File Browser as part of the Base OS (Swipe Right from the Home Page or Swipe up from the MultiPage view screen i dunno) And have the media browser part of the Base OS instead of being an App. Its just a minor gripe, and i'll get used to it, its not like i can influence Son to change it anyway.

Large Issues:

Circle, Square, Triangle, X/Cross buttons - I dont know if the way they feel to me is that they dont have a long life expectancy, but they definitely have a different feal when i use them, especially the D-Pad. It kinda feels Floaty. Probably because its now a solid peice instead of being 4 separate buttons. It still feels infinitely better then the D-Pad on an xbox controller. That thing's an abomination IMHO. and jeah i remember the original Square button on the PSP-1000's were resting on this bar thing and would wear out quickly. Never had it happen to me though. I dont tend to Mash down on buttons. But comming off of the PS2's Analog Buttons i think people got used to being able to apply extra pressure on the buttons with no ill effect. Just the psp buttons weren't built to stand up to that kind of use.

The thing im having to train myself to do is to resist the urge to try and click in on the analog sticks as if they had R3 and L3 buttons. Im so used to Analog sticks being buttons that i find myself trying just by instinct.

-------------------
Sorry again guys for the massive wall of text, but I hope some, if any of this helps, (Spud, incase you didnt notice, I added some "information" on the song problem I faced, if that helps you in any way)

Walls of text for the Win

Please use plain text.
Message 8 of 19 (1,528 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
10 posts

Mar 21, 2012

lol , i try click the analogue sticks as well.

the dpad on the psp (1000s at any rate) were also a solid piece, the solid piece was just behind the shell. i like the dpad on the vita however, its a bit smaller, but its easier to use (less force needed to click it), it may or may not wear out faster than a psp 1000's dpad, but it doesnt matter that much, considering now we have 2 joysticks, and most games would probly just be using the dpad for a quick-access thing to change weapons/spells and whatnot.

PSV store: nope, I use the EU PSN store. i have no idea why, but when i was writing this thread, i had aimed to get onto oceania forums, but it redirected me here somehow. ahwell, more people in the US have psvitas than therres people in Australia haha- seriously though, as theres more users in america, this thread may as well stay here, considering theres a larger chance of getting useful feedback/helping someone else out.

media player: it kind of is integrated with the OS of the PSV, considering if you hold the PS button, it pops up with brightness/music volume/microphone quick info, which you can alter in game - which is another good thing about the vita - your own music in game (which admittedly, ive been waiting for since the first week of the PSPs release)

Please use plain text.
Message 9 of 19 (1,528 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1243 posts

Mar 21, 2012

MattxAus wrote:

lol , i try click the analogue sticks as well.

the dpad on the psp (1000s at any rate) were also a solid piece, the solid piece was just behind the shell. i like the dpad on the vita however, its a bit smaller, but its easier to use (less force needed to click it), it may or may not wear out faster than a psp 1000's dpad, but it doesnt matter that much, considering now we have 2 joysticks, and most games would probly just be using the dpad for a quick-access thing to change weapons/spells and whatnot.

PSV store: nope, I use the EU PSN store. i have no idea why, but when i was writing this thread, i had aimed to get onto oceania forums, but it redirected me here somehow. ahwell, more people in the US have psvitas than therres people in Australia haha- seriously though, as theres more users in america, this thread may as well stay here, considering theres a larger chance of getting useful feedback/helping someone else out.

media player: it kind of is integrated with the OS of the PSV, considering if you hold the PS button, it pops up with brightness/music volume/microphone quick info, which you can alter in game - which is another good thing about the vita - your own music in game (which admittedly, ive been waiting for since the first week of the PSPs release)

PSV Store: Ah that explains it then. It surprises me that the EU store wouldnt have a Genre selection when the US does. I've always thought the PS3's EU Store was a little better then ours (The US PSN Store is a convoluted Mess). Hopefully They'll fix that for you guys.

Media Player: Yeah theres controls in the system menu but they are disabled if the Music app isnt running. and if its running and you close it, te controls all get disabled again. But what we gonna do right?

Side note: Its funny that you get sent over here cause if I just type in www.playstation.com instead of us.playstation.com it throws me over to the EU website. lol!

Please use plain text.
Message 10 of 19 (1,528 Views)
0 Likes