Jun 22 2011
By: Aragys First Son 6 posts

PS Vita GPS??

47 replies 8656 views Edited Jun 22, 2011

So the GPS is available with the 3G version only.

Is the GPS usable without a 3g subscription?

Message 1 of 48 (8,656 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
5189 posts

Re: PS Vita GPS??

Jun 22, 2011

Aragys wrote:

I would expect so but the 3G is needed for the assisted part of aGPS, it will download the latest table for the GPS satellites so you would get a faster and more accurate lock (it probably uses the the 3G system clock for more accuracy also).

The thing is I doubt you will be able to buy the 3G version without a subscription as it will probably only be available from AT&T stores.

Message 2 of 48 (8,656 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1344 posts

Jun 22, 2011

GPS is only for 3G users. While you can still have a Map Application on the Wi-Fi only version, It won't give your location like the 3G Version. When you connect to a Wi-Fi Hotspot, the location will be found.

And no, you don't need a subscription to use the GPS, but you do need it because maps don't load offline unless you cache It. The main reason why GPS is still available w/o 3G Subscription is because every cell tower calculates your location. I have an iPhone and I can turn off my Cellular Data and still use the GPS. Like I said, maps don't load offline and you need to have an Internet connection to load the rest of the map.

Message 3 of 48 (8,656 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
5189 posts

Jun 22, 2011

Ix_DarkDragon_ wrote:

GPS is only for 3G users. While you can still have a Map Application on the Wi-Fi only version, It won't give your location like the 3G Version. When you connect to a Wi-Fi Hotspot, the location will be found.

And no, you don't need a subscription to use the GPS, but you do need it because maps don't load offline unless you cache It. The main reason why GPS is still available w/o 3G Subscription is because every cell tower calculates your location. I have an iPhone and I can turn off my Cellular Data and still use the GPS. Like I said, maps don't load offline and you need to have an Internet connection to load the rest of the map.

Do you know this for a fact? The datails have not been announced and yet you state it as if you know.

Also you contradict yourself saying that the map aplication can be used on the sifi only model but you need to downlaod it via 3G for the 3G model, could it not be downloaded via wifi as well? I believe the maps will be available offline, it is only the location data that is streamed to you when you view the map, cutting down on the data that you tranfer when you use the 3G version.

Cell towers do not fully calculate your location, only as much as a wifi hotspot can do, but if you have enough cell tower coverage your location can be triangulated using your recieved signal strength from 3 or more cell towers. But the 3G model will be using the GPS reciever that recieves its signal from the GPS satellites not cellphone towers (that is why your iphone works) and is far more accurate than cell tower triangulation or else why include it? The 3G part is for data transfer.

Message 4 of 48 (8,656 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
5911 posts

Jun 22, 2011

Aragys wrote:

We dont' know that for sure. There are conflicting specs, depending on where you look.

Everyone thinks I'm psychotic (except my friends deep inside the earth).
Message 5 of 48 (8,656 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
13 posts

Jun 22, 2011

I am concerned about how much it will cost to use the Vita thru AT & T.  Can the games be played without charges or will a charge be levied everytime the Vita is turned on?

Message 6 of 48 (8,656 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
5189 posts

Jun 22, 2011

doddie64 wrote:

I am concerned about how much it will cost to use the Vita thru AT & T.  Can the games be played without charges or will a charge be levied everytime the Vita is turned on?

You will normally pay a monthly fee depending on how much data allowance your plan caters for. So it does not matter if you turn it on or not, only if you go over your plans quota will you get charged extra.

Message 7 of 48 (8,656 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
13577 posts

Jun 22, 2011

CaptainHuggyface wrote:

doddie64 wrote:

You will normally pay a monthly fee depending on how much data allowance your plan caters for. So it does not matter if you turn it on or not, only if you go over your plans quota will you get charged extra.

I believe what he's trying to get at is:

When you turn on your Vita, does it automatically connect to the 3G network and use up data? If that were the case, then even playing an offline game could somehow take up data if there's information being transferred (which would mean you'd have to shut the 3G off).

I assume there will be some auto-connecting thing on the Vita. And that you can turn it off.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Message 8 of 48 (8,656 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1306 posts

Jun 22, 2011

Aragys wrote:

If by GPS you mean maps than, it probably should be. There should be some level of offline map which is on the PS Vita for stuff like Near to work all the time. The location UI should work with either GPS satelite feeds and/or Skyhooks (WPS) feed for geeting all its information.

It would be wise to wait and see what Sony officially have to say about these kind of features.

Message 9 of 48 (8,656 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
13 posts

Jun 22, 2011

Thanks for the replies.  The PS Vita really interests me but i would like the feature of playing offline.  I guess it is wait and see

Message 10 of 48 (8,656 Views)
0 Likes