Sep 18 2011
By: hakumen_wins Lombax Warrior 97 posts

PS Vita Battery Solution too easy...

23 replies 229 views Edited Sep 18, 2011

Why isn't anyone at Sony smart enough to figure out how to expand the battery life?! Why don't we have solar pannels on the PSV?! If their was a solar pannel on the PSV that acted as backup to slowly charge your system when your not near an outlet, you could drastically increase the life on the system's power! Honestly, I'd rather have a solar pannel oon the back of my system to charge my device while I play it/ solar pannels on top/ sides etc, than 3-5 hrs of play time! Or take out the back touch screen. Motion controls suck and dirtying my PSV screen on such a beautiful device makes no sense to me. I'll only use the buttons. Sony seems to be working backwards. Why would you EVER want nintendo's battery life?

http://soundcloud.com/hakumen001/

@hakumen001 on Twitter
Please use plain text.
Message 1 of 24 (229 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
524 posts

Re: PS Vita Battery Solution too easy...

Sep 18, 2011

Lol, do you honestly think any handheld would incorporate solar panels? Prices would go through the bloody roof. And, some people actually don't complain about 3-5. It's quite enough.

Buuuut if you want to go all trolling about crap battery and comparing with Nintendo, here you go.

http://www.psvitahub.com/2011/09/details-about-ps-vita-external-battery.html

Pro skill. Definition: Being too sexy at something for your own good.
Please use plain text.
Message 2 of 24 (229 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
5189 posts

Sep 18, 2011

hakumen_wins wrote:

Why isn't anyone at Sony smart enough to figure out how to expand the battery life?! Why don't we have solar pannels on the PSV?! If their was a solar pannel on the PSV that acted as backup to slowly charge your system when your not near an outlet, you could drastically increase the life on the system's power! Honestly, I'd rather have a solar pannel oon the back of my system to charge my device while I play it/ solar pannels on top/ sides etc, than 3-5 hrs of play time! Or take out the back touch screen. Motion controls suck and dirtying my PSV screen on such a beautiful device makes no sense to me. I'll only use the buttons. Sony seems to be working backwards. Why would you EVER want nintendo's battery life?

http://soundcloud.com/hakumen001/ @hakumen001 on Twitter

You say you will only use the buttons but what happens when a game you buy requires you to use the touch screen for something or the six axis? Why would you buy the PSVita if all you want really is a PSP?

Sony is not working backwards, they have introduced a much more powerful machine and kept the battery life the same rather than it decreasing, I can't see that as going backwards.

Please use plain text.
Message 3 of 24 (229 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
456 posts

Sep 18, 2011

lol solar panels? It would cost too much and if your not near light they would be useless. Solar panels would be just another way of charging it. Just so  you know the back touch panel is actually a good idea, because it adds L2 and R2 options so you can play ps3 games through remote play, and play other games that require it. The back touch is another thing that separates it from other systems. I personnally like the battery life. because if im leaving my house, I dont think ill be playing games for more than 5 hrs and when im at home i can charge it. If your aat work you can just plug it into an outlet somewhere or usb charge it in a computer. Solar panels would take away from the experience and would make the psvita look ugly.

Please use plain text.
Message 4 of 24 (229 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
456 posts

Sep 18, 2011

Thanks delkata for letting me know about the external battery. Now I have to save more money for the psvita cause im getting a 32gb card and now this -_- but its worth it

Please use plain text.
Message 5 of 24 (229 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1306 posts

Sep 18, 2011

Having read about this subject sometime ago, the technology for integrated solar panels on things like PS Vita or smartphones is not as efficient as can be but, some very energy efficient technology has been proven (in theory). One specific scientific study was produced by a Taiwanese group that engineered solar panel technology into OLED displays. The technology the scientists created managed to power both the ambient light from out side of the device and the light and the light from the OLED itself to generate energy for the solar panel layers on the display.

http://spie.org/documents/Newsroom/Imported/0772/0772-2007-06-15.pdf

I am not sure what (if anything) has been produced from the study since it was conducted (reportedly 2007).

For now, there are external solar battery packs which might work with the PS Vita's multi-use port. These currently range from approx. $30 to $200 USD,

http://www.amazon.com/External-Universal-Charging-Motorola-Smartphones/dp/B004GVIZC4/ref=sr_1_1?s=el...

http://www.amazon.com/Premium-Solar-Charger-Built--Windshield/dp/B00449U3K0/ref=sr_1_5?s=electronics...

http://www.amazon.com/Powertraveller-Extreme-9000mAh-Charger-Playbook/dp/B004XNLLQM/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UT...

There are also car adaptors for the PS Vita (at least one being developed by Sony internally). Draining a car battery in exchange for extra battery life to a portable device is always a tricky situation but, if a situation arises it might come in handy to buy a car adaptor (but, still use something like an external solar power battery pack as the main source of recoverable energy).

Also, do not use a lot of whites on the OLED because that drains battery and try not to use backlighting (OLED's are plenty bright enough when away from ambient light reflection). There are things like Wi-fi, BT, 3G, etc which can all be turned off as well but, the energy effieciency of the PS Vita's OLED is going to be one of the main reasons why a battery gets drained (along with the processors, of course).

Please use plain text.
Message 6 of 24 (229 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
524 posts

Sep 18, 2011

D-Roy12 wrote:

Thanks delkata for letting me know about the external battery. Now I have to save more money for the psvita cause im getting a 32gb card and now this -_- but its worth it

No problem Looks like we're both going to have to dig a little deeper in our pockets to get it... With all the stuff I'm going to have to get, it'll be a wonder if I don't go bankrupt...

Pro skill. Definition: Being too sexy at something for your own good.
Please use plain text.
Message 7 of 24 (229 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
11316 posts

Sep 18, 2011

Seeing as the charge time is over 2 hours using an actual cable, imagine how long it'd take to charge through solar energy (considering the solar panels would be super small). The energy taken while playing would be more than the amount you're restoring. You wouldn't elongate life by any significant amount.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Please use plain text.
Message 8 of 24 (229 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
7474 posts

Sep 18, 2011

Solar panels? Lol...

THIS solar panel is the one sitting on my desk right now. It cranks out 12V@125mA and it's physically very big to be a portable. I could place two PSPs side by side on the solar panel and the panel would still be bigger.

And, while this solar panel does charge my Blackberry and PSP, the panel HAS to be under direct sunlight on a bright sunny day with no clouds. And even then, you have to let the PSP sit for five hours powered OFF for it to charge.

Very impractical.

And a smaller panel won't cut it: because Photovoltaic power is dependent on surface area, you will have less voltage and amps to do anything if you use smaller cells.

Best recourse of action? I would head down to XSCargo and buy one of their 3Ah Lithium Ion USB Battery Boosts for $10.

FIVE YEARS ON PLAYSTATION FORUMS

YOUTUBE REVIEWS ~ TROPHIES ~ GAMING YOUTUBE ~ LITTLEBIGPLANET

Bitcoin is nice: 16SVoaaAfWtywpQ9GDqqzfoyGvt21XCB6M
Dogecoin is nice too: DU6DPv41zfqbSwvFz8LKYhVcgLsX85B3My
Please use plain text.
Message 9 of 24 (229 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1847 posts

Sep 18, 2011

CaptainHuggyface wrote:

You say you will only use the buttons but what happens when a game you buy requires you to use the touch screen for something or the six axis? Why would you buy the PSVita if all you want really is a PSP?

Sony is not working backwards, they have introduced a much more powerful machine and kept the battery life the same rather than it decreasing, I can't see that as going backwards.

i think you are missing the fact that the vita has alot of things over teh psp besides all the touch and motion crap, and that is dual analogs, higher res screen and a larger powerhouse. i think the inclusion of motion sensors is a nice touch but i think havinga  touch screen and what looks to be pushing it into every vita game is a bit to much. nut i dont agree with the op, as solar panels would raise to price to unimaginable hieghts. but i also i agree that 2-5 is plenty enough time.

Free userbars

Free userbars

Free userbars

Free userbars

Free userbars

Free userbars

Free userbars

Free userbars
Please use plain text.
Message 10 of 24 (229 Views)
0 Likes