Search instead for 
Do you mean 
PlayStation MVP
11176 posts

Re: PS Plus May Preview - Sleeping Dogs Coming Soon

May 7, 2013

xClayMeow wrote:

GrayGargoyle wrote:

If Germinator were free for PlayStation 3 users then this month might actually have something to talk about. Instead, zero and zip are the only things North American Plus users have to rely on. Sleeping Dogs can go back to the pound. Knytt Underground should have stayed buried. Pinball Arcade gives new meaning the word generic. Please wake me up when the terribly drowsy state of May is over. :smileywink:

Sleeping Dogs is a well-reviewed AAA title released within the last year and you get DLC along with it. Not sure what else you could possibly hope for from PS+. If it's simply not the type of genre you enjoy, so be it, but don't act like NA PS+ users get squat this month.

And from what I've played on an in-store demo of Knytt Underground, it seemed like a rather solid side-scrolling, Metroidvania platformer. Not your genre again? Well then if you don't have a broad taste in genres, maybe PS+ isn't for you.

I'm not going to depend on the opinions of others for this one, as my own view on the demo I've played and the trailers I've seen for Sleeping Dogs all lie in fault. What I hope for from Plus are games that I'd actually like to play. Ni no Kuni: Wrath of the White Witch and Tomb Raider are two examples of games I've picked up for the PlayStation 3 this year. Had those games been made available for free in Plus much sooner than eight or twelve months after the fact, then I could have saved the money instead of spending it right off the bat. Instead, my money spent on Plus continues to be mostly reliant on freebies that don't meet with the board of my approval ratings. Ever since the Instant Game Collection launched, the service has gotten much worse in regards to its selections of free games.

Sure, I like open-world action-adventures like Grand Theft Auto and Red Dead Redemption. I like them when they impress me. Having played the demo to Sleeping Dogs did no such thing. It's more in the vein of the Yakuza series, which has an equally inept demo. An open-world martial arts game could be cool if done correctly, but from what I've seen of these games so far in action the combat systems, the stories, and the general gameplay come off as completely mediocre (or worse) in practice. And people give these games high marks? Bah! I too have played the demo for Knytt, which did not please me. It's nothing to do with the genre though. It all has to do with the game, for which the game itself did not influence me at all for the purchase. When Knytt was on sale a month or two ago I could have gotten it then had I wanted it. I didn't want it, so I did not pay. Now that it's free I tell it to go away and bring me something else that I'd rather play. Unfortunately, like most months I sit and wait for when Plus actually brings us something that I do want.

Message 31 of 111 (365 Views)
0 Likes
Gaming Beast
1916 posts

May 7, 2013

GrayGargoyle wrote:

xClayMeow wrote:

GrayGargoyle wrote:

If Germinator were free for PlayStation 3 users then this month might actually have something to talk about. Instead, zero and zip are the only things North American Plus users have to rely on. Sleeping Dogs can go back to the pound. Knytt Underground should have stayed buried. Pinball Arcade gives new meaning the word generic. Please wake me up when the terribly drowsy state of May is over. :smileywink:

Sleeping Dogs is a well-reviewed AAA title released within the last year and you get DLC along with it. Not sure what else you could possibly hope for from PS+. If it's simply not the type of genre you enjoy, so be it, but don't act like NA PS+ users get squat this month.

And from what I've played on an in-store demo of Knytt Underground, it seemed like a rather solid side-scrolling, Metroidvania platformer. Not your genre again? Well then if you don't have a broad taste in genres, maybe PS+ isn't for you.

What I hope for from Plus are games that I'd actually like to play. Ni no Kuni: Wrath of the White Witch and Tomb Raider are two examples of games I've picked up for the PlayStation 3 this year. Had those games been made available for free in Plus much sooner than eight or twelve months after the fact, then I could have saved the money instead of spending it right off the bat.

So you were hoping for AAA titles that released four months ago and two months ago, respectively??? Come on, you can't actually have those expectations with a straight face. If you're subscribed to PS+ to get "free" games you absolutely must play then you're subscribed for the wrong reason. There are two main customers that are the ideal candidates for PS+:

1) Those that buy a ton of games and thus can take advantage of the numerous PS+ discounts.

2) Those that use the IGC to play games they would otherwise never buy.

If you don't fall into one of those categories, then PS+ is just not for you.

Message 32 of 111 (362 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
3652 posts

[ Edited ]
May 7, 2013

GrayGargoyle wrote:

xClayMeow wrote:

GrayGargoyle wrote:

I'm not going to depend on the opinions of others for this one, as my own view on the demo I've played and the trailers I've seen for Sleeping Dogs all lie in fault. What I hope for from Plus are games that I'd actually like to play. Ni no Kuni: Wrath of the White Witch and Tomb Raider are two examples of games I've picked up for the PlayStation 3 this year. Had those games been made available for free in Plus much sooner than eight or twelve months after the fact, then I could have saved the money instead of spending it right off the bat. Instead, my money spent on Plus continues to be mostly reliant on freebies that don't meet with the board of my approval ratings. Ever since the Instant Game Collection launched, the service has gotten much worse in regards to its selections of free games.

Sure, I like open-world action-adventures like Grand Theft Auto and Red Dead Redemption. I like them when they impress me. Having played the demo to Sleeping Dogs did no such thing. It's more in the vein of the Yakuza series, which has an equally inept demo. An open-world martial arts game could be cool if done correctly, but from what I've seen of these games so far in action the combat systems, the stories, and the general gameplay come off as completely mediocre (or worse) in practice. And people give these games high marks? Bah! I too have played the demo for Knytt, which did not please me. It's nothing to do with the genre though. It all has to do with the game, for which the game itself did not influence me at all for the purchase. When Knytt was on sale a month or two ago I could have gotten it then had I wanted it. I didn't want it, so I did not pay. Now that it's free I tell it to go away and bring me something else that I'd rather play. Unfortunately, like most months I sit and wait for when Plus actually brings us something that I do want.

Gray it's fine to have your own complaints with the service but you shouldn't make your opinion sound like your talking for everyone. I also don't see how you think Plus has gotten worse games since the IGC. Before you were getting about 1 new game a month. Either it was a PSN title or very rarely it was a full PS3 title and then you got some minis and ps one games. I'm sorry but Plus has gotten way better since the IGC.

Message 33 of 111 (339 Views)
Hekseville Citizen
336 posts

May 7, 2013

I will certainly be checking out Sleeping Dogs. 

Message 34 of 111 (334 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
1 posts

May 7, 2013

nice logo.. BTW so when is sleeping dogs being out i herd it was today but no :smileysad:

Message 35 of 111 (316 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
8695 posts

May 7, 2013

GrayGargoyle wrote:

It's more in the vein of the Yakuza series, which has an equally inept demo. 

Off topic...

Gray.  If your only experience into the Yakuza series is based off a demo (3 or 4?)  then you are seriously missing out !

I think Sleeping Dogs is a great addition to + and you should try it out if you like GTA & RDR series in my opinion.

~Fighting the Good Fight~
Message 36 of 111 (254 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
2 posts

May 7, 2013

Off topic but I have Psn Plus and Sleeping dogs is listed under the free games but its telling me that I have to pay 49.99. The other games this month are saying the same thing.

Any idea whats up?

Message 37 of 111 (245 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
13 posts

May 7, 2013

Well I guess ill finally be giving Sleeping Dogs a try. Been thinking about buying it but dont have to now. WooWoo. oh yea xbox fan here so far loving the ps+. So much more value compared to live Gold.

Message 38 of 111 (237 Views)
0 Likes
Last Guardian
11119 posts

May 7, 2013
Yeah... it says i have to pay 49,99, what kind of **bleep** is that? :smileyvery-happy:
Message 39 of 111 (229 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
1 posts

May 7, 2013

Sleeping Dogs is in your free section under Playstation Plus but it is not free.. you're asking 50 bucks for it.  I love my Playstation Plus, but this is a tease of massive proportions and my feelings are hurt...

Message 40 of 111 (224 Views)
0 Likes