Gaming Beast
2115 posts

Re: PSOne Classics on the PS Vita

[ Edited ]
Feb 10, 2014

Yes they do play very good on the vita. I have played more ps1 and psp games than vita games on mine. You can map out the buttons and joy sticks on ps1 games the way you want them. The screen can be customized any way you like it. I leave a small amount of black line on each side so it does not look stretched. I have played ff7, ff8 ,ff9. Chrono Cross, Legend of Deagoon ( have to transfer from ps3 ) and several others. They all have played very well. Playing Vagerent Story now. Real fun game. Kind of hard, but lots of fun. 

The gameplay and story lines on these old games are better then most out now. And once you start playing you have so much fun you do not even pay attention to the older style graphics. The graphics and gameplay are better than most up to date indie games now. Plus the screen makes them look upgraded also.

Have fun playing and if you are like me see how much of the story you have forgotten as the years have gone by. I played all these games when they first come out. It is like watching a old movie again. It puts a smile on your face.

Message 11 of 15 (344 Views)
Splicer
52 posts

Feb 10, 2014

Thanks for the answer fantasyplayer. I am looking forward to playing the JRPGs of my childhood. Mostly The Legend of Dragoon. I have tried playing my old games on the PS3 and PC in the last few years but they're so long and I'm normally so busy I didn't have time to finish them. Being able to play them anywhere will be a treat.

I agree with you on storylines and gameplay. Some people bashed the turn-based combat system in JRPGs for being to easy and boring. Yet in games like Call of Duty you're told where to shoot, what to shoot with, and everything you need to know about your objective is readily available at all times. To me, thats boring and easy. And the plots are usually even more dry. Old games draw you in with puzzles (Shrine of Shirley - LOD), hidden loot and side adventures, and the ability to backtrack and access things you werent able to get before (like Kongols DSpirit). Modern game's storylines are usually kill bad guy - encounter problems - intense cinematics - kill bad guy. It's fun, just nothing like the 1990-2005 gaming experience.

Back to the Vita, though, how difficult is the transfer process? Will I just plug it in and start the transfer? Or do I need special cables/LAN?

The Legend of Dragoon was released by SCEJ in June of 2000. Sony released the game for the PS1 although the PS2 had been announced in the US and had been released in Japan. As a result, the game received little attention. SCEJ dropped production of the sequel for unknown reasons, but some speculate it was because of the low sales of the original. Over the years the game has rendered a cult-like following and hundreds of petitions have been created to either remaster the game or develop a sequel. Santa Montica Studios dropped production of the main character, Dart, who was to be offered in a Playstation All-Stars DLC pack - due to low sales of previous DLC released for the game. This franchise is still marketable. After all, it did make the Top 5 Best Selling PSOne Classics list 9 times following its PSN release. [1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] If you haven't played the game I urge you to buy the digial copy on the playstation store. It's only $5.99. If you like it, urge SCE to do something with the franchise in the life of the PS4.

Message 12 of 15 (338 Views)
0 Likes
Gaming Beast
2115 posts

Feb 10, 2014

The vita cable is all you need. Download the game on the ps3 and leave it as a icon. Do not open it up for the ps3. Plug in your vita and go to content manager. From there just look at the selections you have to choose from until you get to the download to vita section and it is yours to play. It is easy. You will not have any problem doing it. Does not take long eather. They download from ps3 faster then from psn on the vita. At lest for me anyway.

Have fun. I sure have enjoyed replaying all mine. Something I miss from the older rpgs is the ability to fly in something over the whole world as it is and land on different continents to fight different things for the loot and after that go back to the story play of the game. Now days the screen goes black and poof you are there. It is just not the same.

Message 13 of 15 (330 Views)
0 Likes
Gaming Beast
2115 posts

Feb 10, 2014

Also the old rpgs worlds and areas are so vast that it can take hours to know where or what to do next. So now you can go to like gamefaqs.com or any other on the vita web and take screen snap shots of the walkthrough. I go lost once or twice in Vagerent Story with the walkthrough and had to find my way back. It would have taking a lot longer without it.

I wish they would make it where you can save the web page for off line reading like the phones do but at lest they did finally get it to where you could take snap shots of the web page in sections.

Message 14 of 15 (325 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
52 posts

Feb 10, 2014

Thanks for the all the info. I'm looking forward to using the internet on the Vita. From what I've seen it's quite the step up from the PS3.

The Legend of Dragoon was released by SCEJ in June of 2000. Sony released the game for the PS1 although the PS2 had been announced in the US and had been released in Japan. As a result, the game received little attention. SCEJ dropped production of the sequel for unknown reasons, but some speculate it was because of the low sales of the original. Over the years the game has rendered a cult-like following and hundreds of petitions have been created to either remaster the game or develop a sequel. Santa Montica Studios dropped production of the main character, Dart, who was to be offered in a Playstation All-Stars DLC pack - due to low sales of previous DLC released for the game. This franchise is still marketable. After all, it did make the Top 5 Best Selling PSOne Classics list 9 times following its PSN release. [1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] If you haven't played the game I urge you to buy the digial copy on the playstation store. It's only $5.99. If you like it, urge SCE to do something with the franchise in the life of the PS4.

Message 15 of 15 (323 Views)
0 Likes