Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Feb 10 2014
By: ZombiesKilledJFK Splicer 52 posts
Accepted Solution

PS One Classics on the PS Vita

[ Edited ]
14 replies 792 views Edited Feb 12, 2014

I've been with Playstation since the classic console. I've owned every variation of every console excluding the Vita and the PS4. The Playstation 4 is the only console I don't plan on buying (at least for a few years). I want to purchase the Vita Slim when it is released in the US. From what I've read it's significantly better than the first one being smaller, more aesthetic, and more comfortable. The only downside being the transition from OLED to LCD screen, which is fine with me considering the extended battery life. Here's what I want to know:

• Supposedly you can purchase PSOne Classics and play them on the Vita. However, most of the reading I've found is from 2012 and some people mention transferring the game to the Vita through an external source. So I want to clarify. Can I go to the Playstation Store, purchase a PSOne Classic, and play it - all on my Vita?

670px-0,1025,0,768-Moon_CG.jpg

• The PSOne had a 4:3 Aspect Ratio, while the Vita sports a 16:9. I'm sure there will be some black bars on either side of my screen and I'm fine with that. From what I understand, though, the PSOne Classics play off of a PSP emulator, which emulates the PSOne. If this is true, it's kind of like Inception: An emulator within and emulator. So I have to ask. Does the video and audio sync correctly and fluently while emulating PSOne Classics on the Vita? Also: Are there any common video or audio bugs while emulating PSOne Classics?

final-fantasy-vii-hd.jpg

• Branching from my last question, I'd like to know how the game runs mechanically as well. Do the controls respond quickly? For example, you press the X button and it takes 10ms to respond rather than 60ms.

I'm also up for good Vita games suggestions. I like RPGs, Adventure Games, and games with great stories to tell, bonus points if they're Indie games. I'm planning on getting Assassins Creed III: Liberation, Persona 4 Golden, Unit 13, Resistance: Burning Skies, and Gravity Rush. Plus some cool looking Indie games.

Edit: Updated label. Please click here to learn more about Labels.

The Legend of Dragoon was released by SCEJ in June of 2000. Sony released the game for the PS1 although the PS2 had been announced in the US and had been released in Japan. As a result, the game received little attention. SCEJ dropped production of the sequel for unknown reasons, but some speculate it was because of the low sales of the original. Over the years the game has rendered a cult-like following and hundreds of petitions have been created to either remaster the game or develop a sequel. Santa Montica Studios dropped production of the main character, Dart, who was to be offered in a Playstation All-Stars DLC pack - due to low sales of previous DLC released for the game. This franchise is still marketable. After all, it did make the Top 5 Best Selling PSOne Classics list 9 times following its PSN release. [1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] If you haven't played the game I urge you to buy the digial copy on the playstation store. It's only $5.99. If you like it, urge SCE to do something with the franchise in the life of the PS4.

Message 1 of 15 (792 Views)
0 Likes
Welcoming Committee
8958 posts

Re: PSOne Classics on the PS Vita

[ Edited ]
Feb 10, 2014

Some require you to transfer it to a PS3 before getting it on the Vita. So you'll have to purchase some of the PS1 classics on the PS3 first. (Which isn't of any use for those who choose not to have a PS3 and only like handheld gaming)

A list of said games

Disclaimer: from cheapassgamer.com

Message 2 of 15 (785 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
4696 posts

Message 3 of 15 (769 Views)
Splicer
52 posts

Feb 10, 2014

I suppose that's good news for me since I still have my PS3 lying around. Unfortunate for the mobile gamers, though. What about my other questions? I'd hate to buy the games to play them excusively on the Vita to find out they run poorly on the Vita.

The Legend of Dragoon was released by SCEJ in June of 2000. Sony released the game for the PS1 although the PS2 had been announced in the US and had been released in Japan. As a result, the game received little attention. SCEJ dropped production of the sequel for unknown reasons, but some speculate it was because of the low sales of the original. Over the years the game has rendered a cult-like following and hundreds of petitions have been created to either remaster the game or develop a sequel. Santa Montica Studios dropped production of the main character, Dart, who was to be offered in a Playstation All-Stars DLC pack - due to low sales of previous DLC released for the game. This franchise is still marketable. After all, it did make the Top 5 Best Selling PSOne Classics list 9 times following its PSN release. [1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] If you haven't played the game I urge you to buy the digial copy on the playstation store. It's only $5.99. If you like it, urge SCE to do something with the franchise in the life of the PS4.

Message 4 of 15 (759 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
2558 posts

Feb 10, 2014
That makes no sense that you have to buy them off of the ps3 first.
But box is the only one I know of that only has the vita
Message 5 of 15 (752 Views)
0 Likes
Welcoming Committee
8958 posts

Feb 10, 2014

Pinktoe_ wrote:
That makes no sense that you have to buy them off of the ps3 first.
But box is the only one I know of that only has the vita

Yea it doesn't. I don't know why they wouldn't make them available either way. Heck Nintendo does a good job in terms of some of their console games. They have them available via 3ds and you don't have to go onto the Wii or Wii U to get them onto the handheld itself. It's a lot more convienent. I do plan on probably getting a PS3 someday, but it will probably be awhile before I do. 

Message 6 of 15 (748 Views)
0 Likes
Welcoming Committee
8958 posts

Feb 10, 2014

da1writer wrote:

You can check out my list for the titles you can purchase through the Vita Store front here. I'm slowly updating it (icons).

http://community.us.playstation.com/t5/PlayStation-General/146-PSOne-Classics-on-Vita-so-far-US-05-0...

Here's a thread with the titles that are able to be transferred from a PS3 to Vita.

http://community.us.playstation.com/t5/PlayStation-General/Confirmed-PSOne-Games-That-Transfer-To-Th...

Thanks for linking to your Vita thread, da1writer.  Glad that the FF games are available straight from it. Since I don't have access to a PS3 at this time. I have a friend who has one, but I don't see him all that often :smileysad:.

Message 7 of 15 (744 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
2558 posts

Feb 10, 2014
Box I am still amazed that you only own a vita.....

I mean there are countless people that would never even think about buying the vita.
Who here only has a ps4?
Who here only has a ps2?

99% of everyone here has a ps3 or ps3 and ps4.

I am not dissing you it's just strange that someone would love handheld gaming over a consol
Message 8 of 15 (739 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
52 posts

Feb 10, 2014

The Vita offers a unique on-the-go experience that allows you to play virtually anywhere. This is great for people who don't like cramming themselves in the house all of the time. If it weren't for the fact that I need the PS3 for the PSOne Classics I'd probably sell my PS3 to curb the cost of the Vita.

Also, gaming consoles dont have 30% of my computer's gaming quality and capacity, and they're much further down the line when it comes to entertainment and productivity. Prefer a controller over a mouse and keyboard? So do I, thats why I hook my PC up to my TV and use a computer controller to play my large games like GTA and Fable.

Message 9 of 15 (735 Views)
Welcoming Committee
8958 posts

Feb 10, 2014

Pinktoe_ wrote:
Box I am still amazed that you only own a vita.....

I mean there are countless people that would never even think about buying the vita.
Who here only has a ps4?
Who here only has a ps2?

99% of everyone here has a ps3 or ps3 and ps4.

I am not dissing you it's just strange that someone would love handheld gaming over a consol

It comes down to quality, Pinktoe. It seems to be made better than the PS3. I haven't run into any issues with it and it runs nicely.

I have a PS2 as well (an old fat model). Still works like it was when it was new. Love it to bits.

It's not strange either. Everyone has their favorite system, handheld or console.

As for consoles, heck I'd get a PS3 in a heartbeat if it were made better, quality wise. That's what's been putting me off of them. It can have all of the games in the world, but it doesn't make up for system quality. 

Message 10 of 15 (733 Views)
0 Likes