Jun 10 2014
By: ck2875 Fender Bender 3346 posts

[PS@E3] PlayStation TV announced for North America

[ Edited ]
41 replies 617 views Edited Jun 11, 2014
PlayStation TV

Sony has officially introduced PlayStation TV for the North American market.

Beginning this holiday season, you’ll be able to use PlayStation TV to play PS4 games via Remote Play, play PS3 games available in PS Now and, of course, play select PS Vita titles, PSP titles and PS One classics. The suggested retail price will be $99.

____

http://www.playstation.com/en-us/explore/playstationtv

PlayStation®TV system is a sleek and compact console with a universe of PlayStation games available for you to stream, download and play. Whether as a second console for your bedroom or the primary gaming system in your living room, PlayStation TV is an easy way for gamers of all ages and skill levels to enjoy playing games together.

Big family fun in a small console.

PlayStation TV Black

Play Fun PlayStation Games Together

Hundreds of titles to download and play, including many PlayStation Vita games, classic games from PSone® and PSP® systems, and more.

PS4™ Games in Another Room

If you own a PS4 system, PlayStation TV can act as a second console to play your PS4 games in your bedroom via Remote Play**. **Over wi-fi or a local wired network

PlayStation™Now READY

Available later this year, PlayStation Now* will give gamers access to an expanding library of PS3® games to stream directly to the PlayStation TV system. 

*Service may not be available in all areas. For details, see http://us.playstation.com/playstationnow

Movies, TV Shows, and Music

Download, rent, or stream movies, TV shows and music from PlayStation Store, Music Unlimited and other entertainment apps.

PlayStation Game Controllers

With PlayStation TV you can use the DUALSHOCK®3 or DUALSHOCK®4 controller to play games. Learn more about the features.

Ready, Set, Play!

The PlayStation TV system’s small, sleek, and simple design makes it incredibly easy for anyone to jump right in and play on almost any TV in your home.

Specifications / Key Features 
Product Name

PlayStation®TV

Color

Black

External Dimensions

Approx. 65.0 × 105.0 × 13.6 mm (length ×  height × thickness)

Mass

Approx. 110g

CPU

ARM® Cortex™-A9 core (4core)

GPU

IMG SGX543MP4+

Main Slots and Connectors

・PlayStation®Vita card slot
・Memory card slot
・USB connector (USB 2.0 Type A)
・HDMI output port (HDMI-CEC)
・LAN port (10BASE-T, 100BASE-TX)

Wireless Communications

・IEEE 802.11b/g/n (n=1×1)  (Wi-Fi)
・Bluetooth® 2.1+EDR (A2DP,AVRCP,HSP,HID)

Internal Memory Card

1GB

AV Output

720p, 1080i, 480p

Sound Output

LPCM 2ch

Power

AC adaptor: DC 5V

Maximum Rated Power Consumption

Approx. 2.8W

PlayStation®TV

The PlayStation TV system can be used as a second console in your bedroom for PS4™ Remote Play* and streaming PS3™ games from PlayStation™Now**. PlayStation TV is an easy way for gamers of all ages and skill levels to enjoy playing games together. The PlayStation TV system*** includes the following for $99.99 (MSRP):
•    1 PlayStation TV System
•    1 HDMI Cable

*Over wi-fi or a wired local network
** Service may not be available in all areas. For details, seehttp://us.playstation.com/playstationnow
***A DUALSHOCK 3 or 4 (sold separately) is required

PlayStation®TV Bundle

Packed with a DUALSHOCK®3 controller, an 8GB memory card and a digital voucher of the blockbuster hit The LEGO® Movie Videogame, the PlayStation TV bundle has all you need to join the exciting world of PlayStation. PlayStation TV is an easy way for gamers of all ages and skill levels to enjoy playing games together. Everything you need in one box the PlayStation TV bundle includes the following for $139.99 (MSRP):
•    1 PlayStation TV System
•    1 DUALSHOCK®3 Controller
•    1 The LEGO® Movie Videogame
•    1 8GB Memory Card
•    1 HDMI Cable
•    1 USB Cable

___

Anyway, what do you guys think? Will you be picking one of these up? I think it's a really cool option if you want to play your PS4 on more then one screen in your house.

Message 1 of 42 (617 Views)
Uncharted Territory
1564 posts

Re: [PS@E3] PlayStation TV announced for North America

[ Edited ]
Jun 10, 2014
Message 2 of 42 (615 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3346 posts

Jun 10, 2014

Thanks for the image link. I've updated my original post with it. 

Also, I think it's interesting that they dropped "Vita" from the name compared to the Japanese version, which is called "PlayStation Vita TV"

Message 3 of 42 (604 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1462 posts

Jun 10, 2014

I don't really understand the point of Playstation TV.  Why do I need that when if I can just play my PS4, PS3 or PS Vita????

Message 4 of 42 (577 Views)
0 Likes
Welcoming Committee
5014 posts

Jun 10, 2014

ThrowupdaX88 wrote:

I don't really understand the point of Playstation TV.  Why do I need that when if I can just play my PS4, PS3 or PS Vita????

You can put the PlayStation TV in a second room and use remote play to access your ps4 games, this way you don't have to move your system to the other room, and with remote play you could always just take this to a friends house and leave the ps4 at home. 

Message 5 of 42 (569 Views)
Hekseville Citizen
354 posts

Jun 10, 2014

Exactly, with my PS4 in the main living area of the house, I don't alwsy have access to it.  Other people want to play xbox or watch that TV.  This way I can just go to my bedroom and play my PS4 through remote play.  Also instead of buying my son a PS4, He can just get a Vita TV for his room, then he can play the PS4 or any game on PS NOW.

Message 6 of 42 (548 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
811 posts

Jun 10, 2014

As illustrated already, remote play your PS4 in another room. You can stream all of the PS available Video Services such as Netflix, Amazon, Hulu etc for $99. Also you have access to Vita, PSP, PSone and PS Now titles. I am all over this. The Vita has several titles I'd love to play on the big screen. 

Please, no blank friend requests - let me know who you are!

Playstation MVP Terms & Conditions
Message 7 of 42 (540 Views)
Hekseville Citizen
391 posts

Jun 10, 2014
This is pretty awesome. I'll probably pick one up for when my kids are having yo gabba gabba marathons in the living room and playing in bed before I fall asleep. Ahh it sounds great. Is the vita required to use it? Mines broke Smiley Sad
Message 8 of 42 (519 Views)
Fender Bender
3346 posts

[ Edited ]
Jun 10, 2014

aperfectstranger wrote:
 Is the vita required to use it? Mines broke Smiley Sad

Nope. This is basically a PS Vita without a screen so you'll be able to play all some of your existing Vita titles on it, as well.

Message 9 of 42 (509 Views)
MVP Support
1433 posts

Jun 10, 2014

ck2875 wrote:

aperfectstranger wrote:
 Is the vita required to use it? Mines broke Smiley Sad

Nope. This is basically a PS Vita without a screen so you'll be able to play all your existing Vita titles on it, as well.

U cant play games that need the touchpad touchscreen or gyro

Playstation Mvp
Message 10 of 42 (501 Views)