May 25 2007
By: TOMBSTONE4U Umbrella Scientist 14053 posts

PS 3 compatibility issues for Socom

28 replies 21 views Edited May 25, 2007
  When buying the PS 3 one of the coolest things i looked forward to was being able to use it for the PS 2 Socom franchise.I figured with the faster process speed maybe it would help with lag online some and with the hard drive space i could download any add on map packs without having to use some other storage device as was the case with the PS 2 Slim.Well the first time i tried to download a map pack on Combined asaault it tells me i need to connect an extra storage device.Considering the tons of empty space on my hard drive that poretty much enraged me to see that message.I thought i found the answer when i looked at my system settings and found the option to split my hard drive so that half is used for PS 3 content and the other half is used for alternate downloads such as downloading things online,etc.It told me i have to delete everything stored which was annoying cause it should have just moved the saved game files to the PS 3 half without erasing them.With some reluctance i finally said oh well I'll have to just start my games over but at least i will have the ability to download my Socom map packs or so I thought.Nope,same message that i need to have an extra storage device to download it.All my saved PS 2 and PS 3 game files erased for nothing.At this point I am now opening my window and contemplating firing my PS 3 out it to the concrete below.

Another issue,It allows me to download the update and play Combined Assault online but when i try to download the update for Socom 3 to play on there it doesn't download the update.it goes to the screen saying "downloading update" but the progress bar never starts to fill and the PS 3 goes silent with the loading light not flashing at all.I wanted to try Socom 3 since i don't like the Combined Assault maps online so i could play wiht blood again but no dice.I didn't even bother trying Socom 2 cause i assume if the newer Socom 3 won't wor then Socom 2 will probably not either.I already downloaded that patch from the Sony store to make all PS 2 games funtional so i don't know what else i can do to enhance total compatibility.If its just going to work for newer PS 2 games online its a waste of money for me.With a library of 400+ PS 2 games full backwards compatibility was a huge selling point for me and now that I am seeing its not quite true I am regretting even buying this thing.Does anyone have any suggestions maybe I am doing something wrong here? If i can't use my Socom games on here and download map packs I'd rather just get the Xbox 360 since they have the better next gen online games.I was willing to sacrafice and use it for PS 2 online games till better PS 3 online titles come out but since compatibility is limited to Combined Assault online thats not enough to keep me entertained till the better PS 3 onlines start coming.I'd rather go play some gears of war online or Halo online when that comes out if this issue can't be fixed.
Sig: Socom 1 and 2 best games I've played on any console.
Message 1 of 29 (21 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
4619 posts

Re: PS 3 compatibility issues for Socom

May 25, 2007
i was interested in helping until i got
to the dreaded "im just gonna get a 360" part.
have fun playing socom4.. oh wait...
Image Hosted by ImageShack.us
Message 2 of 29 (21 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1580 posts

May 25, 2007

Nexus_7 wrote:
i was interested in helping until i got
to the dreaded "im just gonna get a 360" part.
have fun playing socom4.. oh wait...

HAHA, Love it!

------------

COD:BLACK OPS = 15% luck ... 15% skill ... 70% connection to host.
Message 3 of 29 (21 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
4293 posts

May 25, 2007
As far as the updates not working thats somthing wrong with your PS3 because mine downloaded it just fine.

In all honesty how much longer are people going to be playing PS2 games? I played PS1 on PS2 for a few months and never touched them again. It's not going to be some long term annoyance.
Message 4 of 29 (21 Views)
0 Likes
Umbrella Scientist
14053 posts

May 25, 2007
If your not interested in hellping don't even bother responding nexus.Don't be such a Sony fanboy that you have to feel all insulted cause i pointed out the fact that 360 has the better online games for next gen and that I'd rather have that if my PS 2 online games aren't going to be compatible with PS 3.Just stating the facts.I am not a Sony hater,i wouldn't have fattened their pockets with the purchase of 400+ ps 2 games all new i never buy used games.Most at full price to not greatest hits or bargain bins.All I am saying is if i can't get the issue addressed then i would prefer to play the system that at least has the best next gen online games.There's no fan boyism here.I juat wnat to go with the best.If i can play both PS 2 and PS 3 games online that makes up for the 360 online advantage,if i can't,then it don't make up for it,thats my point.
Message 5 of 29 (21 Views)
0 Likes
Umbrella Scientist
14053 posts

May 25, 2007
rez you got both socom 3 and socom 2 working online for ps 3? I can only get combined assault,and did you try downloading map packs on PS 3?
Message 6 of 29 (21 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3471 posts

May 25, 2007
All my socom's 1 2 3 and ca work online on my ps3.
Message 7 of 29 (21 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
4293 posts

May 25, 2007

dansw4 wrote:
rez you got both socom 3 and socom 2 working online for ps 3? I can only get combined assault,and did you try downloading map packs on PS 3?

No I wasnt too interested in the downloaded maps I was in it for X-roads and Desert Glory.

But the updates did work for S2 and S3. In S3 I had to redownload it a few times though, DId that to me on PS2 as well.
Message 8 of 29 (21 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
4619 posts

May 25, 2007

dansw4 wrote:
If your not interested in hellping don't even bother responding nexus.Don't be such a Sony fanboy that you have to feel all insulted cause i pointed out the fact that 360 has the better online games for next gen and that I'd rather have that if my PS 2 online games aren't going to be compatible with PS 3.Just stating the facts.I am not a Sony hater,i wouldn't have fattened their pockets with the purchase of 400+ ps 2 games all new i never buy used games.Most at full price to not greatest hits or bargain bins.All I am saying is if i can't get the issue addressed then i would prefer to play the system that at least has the best next gen online games.There's no fan boyism here.I juat wnat to go with the best.If i can play both PS 2 and PS 3 games online that makes up for the 360 online advantage,if i can't,then it don't make up for it,thats my point.

sorry to anger up your blood.
just tired of people coming on here complaining,
and every one of them ends their post the same way:
im getting an xbox, wha!
well... go get it.
it will be cheaper than buying the 400+ PS2 games your said you were gonna buy lol
Image Hosted by ImageShack.us
Message 9 of 29 (21 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1027 posts

May 25, 2007
Socom 3 works great on my PS3, Played it last night right after I downloaded the Update. And it looks fantastic now with the upscaling. When you upscale it just remember to turn OFF 480p in the Socom options menu. And leave the picture on Widescreen in the options menu. The you will have a perfect widescreen HD picture. The PS3 does all the upscaling now so remember to not have 480p turned on. I was playing at 1080i.
Message 10 of 29 (21 Views)
0 Likes