Dec 28 2012
By: JamesGammans First Son 4 posts

PS 3 Super Slim Flickering Issues

[ Edited ]
3 replies 114 views Edited Dec 28, 2012

I got a new super slim (250gb) a couple of weeks ago and it started to have some graphical issues. At first I started to see some weird white boxes in Uncharted 3, I read that only happened to the very first ps3. After this graphical glitch in UC3 my XMB started to freak out as well. The default theme started to have flickering blue spots and dynamic themes like the uncharted 3 and the heavy rain themes started to have their assets flicker.( the smoke from the plane, nathan himself, and many others.)

I have tried several TVs and several HDMI cables and it is still there.

Is there any solution to this issue? Should I take it back and try to have it changed? Any help would be appreciated.

Message 1 of 4 (114 Views)
0 Likes
Shinra Executive
33360 posts

Re: PS 3 Super Slim Flickering Issues

Dec 28, 2012

You could do a video/audio reset by holding down the power/on/off button to see if that helps, but I have a sneaky feeling it won't, so my advice would be to return it for a refund or replacement.

Message 2 of 4 (84 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
4 posts

Dec 28, 2012

I tried that, rebuilding database, and formatting it. It is now flickering in GoW III, I am definitely taking it back now, they are going to try to fix it and if they can't they will replace it with a new one.

Message 3 of 4 (79 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
20 posts

Dec 28, 2012

Unfortunately, the reason that's happening, is because of Sony. I heard that they did a VERY poor job with putting thermal paste on the GPU. Sp when I got mine for Christmas, I opened it up a day later or so to see what was going on. I was honestly shocked. I know that stock paste isn't supposed to be VERY good but at least decent. But what they did... There was literally, little to no paste on the GPU at all. I was able to see the info on the chip itself and it took less than 5 seconds to get off... The CPU was okay but there were too many air pocked and they "spread" the paste on instead of putting a dot on so I did that too. My PS3 runs a LOT better now, if you know how to do this, I suggest you do it. I didn't really know how to take it apart to be honest, more of a trial and error on my part. Lol But there may be a guide online if this is something you want to do. Also, this WILL void the warrenty. But if you can fix the PS3 yourself, you don't really need Sony. Lol

Message 4 of 4 (69 Views)
0 Likes