Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Treasure Hunter
9575 posts

Re: PLAYSTATION Store Hacked, Thief Caught and BANNED!!

Apr 3, 2008

So I can actually Hack other peoples accounts ??

great ill give it a try

thanks for the heads up

Photobucket
Message 71 of 122 (8 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
7540 posts

Apr 3, 2008

SHANE23 wrote:

choochie wrote:

All Sony had to do is a reverse search of the persons IP address an his days were numbered after that... Not to ention the legal problems thisperson has brought upon himself...

Nice job Sony

I's not that easy. Chances are the IP address to the end user is a block of addresses registered to the ISP. So Sony would have to file a complaint and police report, then they would have to get a warrant to get the info from the ISP of the user of that IP address during the time block that is given by Sony. Then the ISP would report the end user at that point but it still takes a lot of paper work and time. 
 Now I am glad that the punk got busted and banned but I still think there should be legal action taken. In a way I hope it is a kid and his parents get hit and this is my reasoning. I would want something like this to happen and get the news out so that MORE parents pay more attention to what these kids are doing! If I caught my kids glitching or cheating there would be NO online play for them on top of grounding from any game!
 For those of you that are hammering on the OP about sueing you OBVIOUSLY have never had something stolen from you! I don't care if it is a $10 pair of sunglasses, you have been violated! After an incident when I was younger EVERY car I have owned has an alarm installed in it. I also have my house protected and a lesson from my stepdad about how to load my weapon. If the 1st one doesn't stop you the 2nd one will. For those that don't get it, first one is copper you can guess what the 2nd one is.  

The problem with suing is that it needs to be a civil case and in the situation of theft, it is strictly a criminal case.  I suppose you could sue, but by the time you hired a lawyer, you would already be out more money than was lost in this case.

People are waaaaay too sue happy these days.

Message 72 of 122 (8 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
4469 posts

Apr 3, 2008

Shefpan wrote:

The problem with suing is that it needs to be a civil case and in the situation of theft, it is strictly a criminal case.  I suppose you could sue, but by the time you hired a lawyer, you would already be out more money than was lost in this case.

I don't like the way people are sue happy either, especially for stuff like spilling hot coffee! This Politicaly Correctness HAS TO STOP!
But in this case if the law really does nothing, especially seeing that it should be a federal case, the victim should be entitled to some sort of compensation. Now should they get $1 million, of course not, but something to compensate for the grief and DEFINATLEY something to stop the next a55 from doing the same thing. Even if it is $5000 it would stop the next person from stealing a PS3 account to download a game.
Message 73 of 122 (8 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
7540 posts

Apr 3, 2008

SHANE23 wrote:

Shefpan wrote:

I don't like the way people are sue happy either, especially for stuff like spilling hot coffee! This Politicaly Correctness HAS TO STOP!
But in this case if the law really does nothing, especially seeing that it should be a federal case, the victim should be entitled to some sort of compensation. Now should they get $1 million, of course not, but something to compensate for the grief and DEFINATLEY something to stop the next a55 from doing the same thing. Even if it is $5000 it would stop the next person from stealing a PS3 account to download a game.

I just don't know what ground you'd have.  For $5000 you would have to go to small claims court (in US anyway) and even if the ruling is in the plaitiff's favor, there is nothing to enforce the payment in many cases.  Unless a person has lost a job, house, etc. I don't think that there is any money to be made that makes it worth the time of getting a lawsuit together.
Message 74 of 122 (8 Views)
0 Likes
Monster Hunter
44 posts

Apr 3, 2008
Sony FTW!
Message 75 of 122 (8 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
4469 posts

Apr 3, 2008

Shefpan wrote:

SHANE23 wrote:

Shefpan wrote:

I just don't know what ground you'd have.  For $5000 you would have to go to small claims court (in US anyway) and even if the ruling is in the plaitiff's favor, there is nothing to enforce the payment in many cases.  Unless a person has lost a job, house, etc. I don't think that there is any money to be made that makes it worth the time of getting a lawsuit together.
Identity theft is identity theft, doesn't matter how large the amount. Usually things are based on a dollar amount but in this case it isn't, it is a federal crime.
He might not see a dollar amount BUT knowing they have to server community service, work release or some other punishment just might be satisfaction enough. They have to do SOMETHING to deter the next person from doing the same thing.
Message 76 of 122 (8 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
7540 posts

Apr 3, 2008

SHANE23 wrote:

Shefpan wrote:

SHANE23 wrote:

Shefpan wrote:

Identity theft is identity theft, doesn't matter how large the amount. Usually things are based on a dollar amount but in this case it isn't, it is a federal crime.
He might not see a dollar amount BUT knowing they have to server community service, work release or some other punishment just might be satisfaction enough. They have to do SOMETHING to deter the next person from doing the same thing.

I agree 100% that he should press charges if given the opportunity to do so.  I'm just saying, and have said all along, that suing, in this case doesn't seem rational/reasonable or even doable.  There is a difference between criminal and civil charges.

Message 77 of 122 (8 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
126 posts

Apr 3, 2008

FireMan wrote:

Vicx wrote:

SOOPERGOOMAN187 wrote:

I AM PRESSING CHARGES and am GOING TO SUE YOU AND TAKE YOUR MONEY from your wallet.(seems justified)

geez, only in America eh..

Shut up, I am starting to hate other countries because they criticize Americans for everything and think all Americans are the same(greedy and stupid). RIGHT?!?!

I was only talking about the suing, everyone knows that. Even in GTA San Andreas they made a joke about it on the radio, it went something like "you can sue anyone for just about anything, and you'll probably win"
Message 78 of 122 (8 Views)
0 Likes
Gaming Beast
2426 posts

Apr 3, 2008
thanksfully he got caught..
Photobucket
Message 79 of 122 (8 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
3168 posts

Apr 3, 2008

you can actually bring a "trespass to chattels" claim in civil court. Essentially, it means that they prevented you from enjoying your property as you wanted. You can bring a civil suit alongside a criminal suit; however, the city, state, or feds would have to bring the criminal action, which to be honest is highly unlikely. The civil damages are not just for the $$ spent from the wallet but also the cost of not being able to enjoy the property that is rightfully yours and the flustration in getting things resolved, along with the work power it cost sony to research, fix, and file a report on the issue. then there would most likely be punitive damages.

Not saying you would win, but there are prospectively more claims than that of the $7.

NOTE: THIS IS NOT INTENDED TO BE LEGAL ADVICE. Consult your own lawyer for that. (Sorry, but you know... gotta throw that fine print in).

Message 80 of 122 (8 Views)
0 Likes