Mar 22 2011
By: Cyrlck First Son 1 posts

PC to TV using PS3

7 replies 7869 views Edited Mar 22, 2011

I'm trying to get my PC to play on my HDTV using my PS3

My TV has DVI-D and RGB

My ps3 is connected to my tv using the HD red, blue, and green cables. There is another red and a white connected to speakers that play when my ps3 is playing.

My computer has an hdmi connecter.

I would like to use a hdmi cable to connect my pc to the ps3 so that it plays on my tv.

Is this possible?

If not what is the best way to connect a pc to a tv?

My tv does NOT have hdmi --- that would be too simple.

I've thought of Hdmi to dvi cable, but I'm told that won't play sound. Sound is important as I would like to watch movies.

Please help!

Thanks

Message 1 of 8 (7,869 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
8540 posts

Re: PC to TV using PS3

Mar 22, 2011

just install the ps3 media server on your pc, then you can stream movies from your pc through the ps3 to your tv wirelessly.

get the ps3mediaserver from here-> http://code.google.com/p/ps3mediaserver/

Photobucket
Message 2 of 8 (7,869 Views)
0 Likes
Big Daddy
19370 posts

Mar 22, 2011

Cyrlck wrote:

My TV has DVI-D and RGB

My ps3 is connected to my tv using the HD red, blue, and green cables. There is another red and a white connected to speakers that play when my ps3 is playing.

I would like to use a hdmi cable to connect my pc to the ps3 so that it plays on my tv.

Is this possible?

I've thought of Hdmi to dvi cable, but I'm told that won't play sound. Sound is important as I would like to watch movies.

Please help!

Thanks

The PS3 has no inputs for video/sound that way. So that's just not possible at all.

If you want your PC on your TV you need to connect it directly.

If you have media you want to play on your TV you can do what was suggested above: install a media server on your PC and use your PS3 to access it.

Message 3 of 8 (7,869 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
103 posts

Mar 22, 2011

Another option is you could use a HDMI to DVI cable directly to the TV for video.

Not all HDMI to DVI Connections will work though. Your computer and TV must be HDCP-certified. Most TV's after 2008 are.

See here for more info

http://tv.about.com/od/hdtv/p/whatisHDCP.htm

If your TV and computer have VGA you could use that for video too.

For Stereo audio you can use a 3.5 male (headphone plug) to RCA (Red/White) Y adaptor directly to the TV or AV Receiver.

Here's what the audio cable looks like..

http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=102&cp_id=10218&cs_id=1021804&p_id=5598&seq=1&for...

If your computer and TV or AV receiver have optical audio plugs you could use an optical cable to pass Dolby Digital audio.

Message 4 of 8 (7,869 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1847 posts

Mar 22, 2011

Cyrlck wrote:

My TV has DVI-D and RGB

Is this possible?

Please help!

Thanks

not sure if i should cry or laugh out of stupidity, but im quite interested in where or who told you that what you tried doing was possible or even made the slightest bit of sense. and i also find it quite hard to believe that your pc has an hdmi, but no dvi or rgb.

Free userbars

Free userbars

Free userbars

Free userbars

Free userbars

Free userbars

Free userbars

Free userbars
Message 5 of 8 (7,869 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
136 posts

Mar 22, 2011

to connect pc to tv you need a vga cable vga.jpgit should look like this , but you need to find out which is compatible with your tv !!

Message 6 of 8 (7,869 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
1 posts

Mar 27, 2011

Don't bother trying to connect through the PS3, bypass it and go directly from the pc to the computer.  A cable that goes from VGA to DVI or an adapter with either cable would be the best bet for video.  For audio I'd recommend a cable that has a 1/8" headphone plug on one end and red/white rca plugs on the other.

Message 7 of 8 (7,869 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
9 posts

[ Edited ]
Dec 20, 2012

SkySniper920 wrote:

not sure if i should cry or laugh out of stupidity, but im quite interested in where or who told you that what you tried doing was possible or even made the slightest bit of sense. and i also find it quite hard to believe that your pc has an hdmi, but no dvi or rgb.

My laptop has a HDMI connection without DVI or RGB connections. However, it does have a VGA. I think you're confusing the two.

Acer Aspire 5552

"The ignorance of Mankind is no excuse for that of the Individual." ~Sean Reeves
Message 8 of 8 (6,804 Views)
0 Likes