Sep 20 2012
By: Doppelgangergang Treasure Hunter 8189 posts

Out, damned spot!

13 replies 251 views Edited Sep 20, 2012

I tried to install a new screen protector.

Spoiler Alert: I failed.

I removed the old screen protector, then wiped the surfaces down with a "lint free" (or at least the packaging said that) cloth sprayed with a light amount of Alcohol to remove fingerprint and smudges. When the alcohol evaporated, lint was ALL OVER the screen. I had no other cloths to test (I was afraid the others would scratch the screen) so I resorted to getting the lint roller and then rolling it around the screen. The lint was mostly gone, so I then took some clear packing tape, then stuck it on the screen, pulled it off and it got most of the lint.

Everything was good until I decided to try the sticker paper because the adhesive is weaker than the packing tape. The adhesive was weaker, and it decided to detach from the paper. The adhesive stuck to the screen. I sighed, and then I, with my typical attention lapse, grabbed the lint free full cloth and then put lint back on the screen. So now, I have nasty adhesive spots that seems to be gummed up good on the screen, and full of lint.

So.... How do you guys clean your screens? Smiley Indifferent

Spoiler
"Out, damned spot! out, I say! One; two: why, then, ’tis time to do ’t. Hell is murky!" - Lady Macbeth
Message 1 of 14 (251 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
2922 posts

Re: Out, damned spot!

Sep 20, 2012

Dang, that sucks.

I don't use screen protectors on my Vita anymore. After months of having it, no scratch was found and to this day still no scratches have been found. I usually just clean my screen with a micro-fiber cloth, just to take off the grease and whatnot off it.

Metallica Pinball Sig photo LONG-LIVE-PLAY-METALLICA-PINBALL_zps397a82cb.jpg
Gameplay -> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gzxc59Y6GcA
Message 2 of 14 (234 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
152 posts

Sep 20, 2012
i keep a screen protector on. i bought a IPAD screen protector for 1 dollar and just cut it to size. so i just use my shirt to wipe it down.
Message 3 of 14 (225 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1532 posts

Sep 20, 2012
I use a portable vaccum to suck all the dust particle out,for the screen, just some of them cleaning water and towel
I love Adam Levine
"One more ******* Love song and I well be sick......"
Message 4 of 14 (220 Views)
0 Likes
Ghost of Sparta
11942 posts

Sep 20, 2012
Sorry, no help from me, but outstanding thread title.

*Standing ovation*
Message 5 of 14 (218 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
2090 posts

Sep 20, 2012

um wow.... I clean my screen with a microfiber cloth.  with water or with rubbing alcohol.  just alittle on the side of it. then i wet it down then rub it off with the dry side of the cloth. after that it is clean no nothing.

http://share.blog.us.playstation.com/ideas/2012/07/21/option-to-buy-avatars-on-my-playstation-vita/
Message 6 of 14 (201 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
116 posts

Sep 20, 2012

I always use screen protectors cause I don't know what the future holds and accidents can happen anytime. I use Windex electronic cleaner and wipes. I never spray the screen directly though. Always spray the cloth and then wipe the screen. At first I was using alcohol and water to clean all my LCD screens then they had this Windex Electronics Value Pack on sale at Amazon for cheap. It gets all my LCD screen spotless. I love it.

Message 7 of 14 (181 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
4 posts

Sep 20, 2012

I use windex electronic wipes for my laptop and vita, they work great. For lint i just use comepressed air can while dusting lightly with a cloth.

Message 8 of 14 (174 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
293 posts

Sep 20, 2012

Incagneto wrote:

um wow.... I clean my screen with a microfiber cloth.  with water or with rubbing alcohol.  just alittle on the side of it. then i wet it down then rub it off with the dry side of the cloth. after that it is clean no nothing.

u should not use rubbing alcohol to clean electronics. it's not neccisarily unsafe for the glass creen, but it's bad for the other plastics even tho it's such a trace amount... over time it can degrade the quality and look scuffed or faded.

that said, i do not use screen protectors. i'm pretty strict about keeping my vita in the launch bundle case that came with it when it's not in use. it never goes in my pocket or loose in a bag. when i want to get all my greasy fingerprints off, i use special screen cleaner kit that i bought for my HDTV. i imagine any microfiber jawns are safe too.

Message 9 of 14 (155 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
1 posts

Sep 20, 2012

I use one of thoe cloths that you use to clean specs to clean the screen - it grabs the dust perfectly. Also I have this screen protector attached:

http://www.barrierchief.com/ps-vita-screen-protector

Its fantastic and invisible - actually in bright sunlight you can see two very small bubbles under the screen but considering I can't actually play the vita with bright sunlight on it, I can't tell there is anything there at all. It just gives me peace of mind.

I just intend to add a Decalgirl skin now, a custom one and Im set Smiley Happy

Message 10 of 14 (146 Views)
0 Likes