12905 posts

Re: Opinion: It's time for Sony to consider a Vita price cut

Nov 19, 2012

bronxz32 wrote:

Logical_Dolphin wrote:

bronxz32 wrote:

Logical_Dolphin wrote:

I don't agree.

The PS1, PS2, and PSP all required memory cards that sold at a simular pricepoints to most of Vita memory cards. A $20-$50 add-on for a memory card has been standard pretty much all along for Sony products, except for the PS3 of course.

The memory cards were needed to Save the games, you didn't need it in order to play the game. It wasn't required.  Also some games you could use Passwords or Cheat codes and skip levels. Also there were cheap 3rd party Memory Cards, little lower than the official memory cards. By the time Many great Multi-Disc games came out such as FF VII and MGS, the cards were very cheap.  You can also beat FF VII without the memory card but that is INSANE.  It's a great advantage to have the Memory Card. Most Vita games so far Require the Memory Cards.  

3rd party memory cards for the PS1 & PS2 were not available right away, probably midway into their lifecycle. There is still a chance that Sony will allow Sandisk or Lexar to make a 3rd party alternative, just like with Sony memory stick products.

I consider the 8GB Vita memory card to be of a decent size and price ($30), and that is the same pricepoint as the PS1 & PS2 memory cards were early in the lifecycle... 

Not entirely true. Mad Catz sold PS2 memory cards pretty much from the start. They even had the PS logo and the MagicGate logo on the Memory Card.  They were one of the few who got the License from Sony, i think that Interact also had a Memory card available from the start when the PS2 launched.  There were versions of GameSharks that had a Virtual Memory card, which allowed you to save your games as well as play backups and give you obviously the codes, that was not available from the start.

That is not the way I remember it at all. What I remember is that there weren't any 3rd party memory cards at all during the first year are or so of the PS2's launch. I am certain that the Interact version was not available right away, it was unlicenced and used compression to double the storage size, but you had to use a boot CD to use. It wasn't very late in the PS2's lifecycle that I saw a officially licenced expanded memory card sold for the PS2 by Katana: http://www.cduniverse.com/productinfo.asp?pid=7526741

Compared to the PS1 the PS2 had realitively few licenced memory cards. I personally have the yellow Nyko one. 

Message 471 of 527 (95 Views)
0 Likes
Limit Breaker
22603 posts

Nov 19, 2012

Logical_Dolphin wrote:
GameStop and Best Buy will always give you store credit for the game and/or memory card you don't need, even more if you trade in during one of their promotions, so this shouldn't be an issue. If you trade in the game and memory card, you might be able to get at least another $20 off.

At Costco, like I said they aren't carrying any systems at all (except for that Halo 4 X360 online). I don't know what it has to do with, but Costco seems to undergo these cycles every now and then. It is certainly not a Sony issue...

:/  never bought anything from Gamestop since i started to play games..

I buy the system at costco and the games on amazon or newegg.

I don't believe in buying used or trade in   after selling all my PSone games to Gamecrazy for the first time..

as for costco and playstation system.. i dont' know..  it's like with apple itouch/ipad, i phone.. etc.. there's no apple products at costco..

the return policy at costco is too lenient.. maybe that's why apple decided to end the business deals.

i think it's the same with playstation game system now.. since it's been 8-9 months??  no system at all. in any of the costco stores in my area...

What Are Internet TROLLS ?
To QUOTE- TOP RIGHT of the reply box - To MULTI-QUOTE
PSP and PS3 owner..YES...i still play the LAST GEN systems
****still waiting for The LAST GUARDIAN****
Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Message 472 of 527 (88 Views)
0 Likes
Limit Breaker
22603 posts

Nov 19, 2012

Logical_Dolphin wrote:
I consider the 8GB Vita memory card to be of a decent size and price ($30), and that is the same pricepoint as the PS1 & PS2 memory cards were early in the lifecycle... 

LOL Smiley Happy  but PS2  memory card is 8MB for $25??    buy two at a time  (2x 8MB)  for $40 ??

i have a few of them in the closet right now.. i have like 6 already in use in 1 packge of two spares.. i think..

Message 473 of 527 (87 Views)
0 Likes
PIayStation MVP
12905 posts

Nov 19, 2012

dulun18 wrote:

Logical_Dolphin wrote:
GameStop and Best Buy will always give you store credit for the game and/or memory card you don't need, even more if you trade in during one of their promotions, so this shouldn't be an issue. If you trade in the game and memory card, you might be able to get at least another $20 off.

At Costco, like I said they aren't carrying any systems at all (except for that Halo 4 X360 online). I don't know what it has to do with, but Costco seems to undergo these cycles every now and then. It is certainly not a Sony issue...

:/  never bought anything from Gamestop since i started to play games..

I buy the system at costco and the games on amazon or newegg.

I don't believe in buying used or trade in   after selling all my PSone games to Gamecrazy for the first time..

as for costco and playstation system.. i dont' know..  it's like with apple itouch/ipad, i phone.. etc.. there's no apple products at costco..

the return policy at costco is too lenient.. maybe that's why apple decided to end the business deals.

i think it's the same with playstation game system now.. since it's been 8-9 months??  no system at all. in any of the costco stores in my area...

Normally one doesn't get a lot of credit trading stuff into GameStop, but if you take advantage of their trade in promotions you can make out pretty well. 

Recently GameStop had a double trade in credit for console trade ins. I was able to trade my 160GB PS3 Slim under this promotion for $180 in credit. I am going to use that credit to buy the $200 BF PS3 250GB superslim PS3 bundle, so at most I am going to pay only around $20 to upgrade.

You can also trade many games into Amazon for store credit if you like.

Regarding Costco, it has been the same story for all the game consoles, so I don't think it is just a Sony issue. I think eventually it will come back, but as many Costco things you never know what they are going to carry or when...

Message 474 of 527 (84 Views)
0 Likes
PIayStation MVP
12905 posts

Nov 19, 2012

dulun18 wrote:

Logical_Dolphin wrote:

LOL Smiley Happy  but PS2  memory card is 8MB for $25??    buy two at a time  (2x 8MB)  for $40 ??

i have a few of them in the closet right now.. i have like 6 already in use in 1 packge of two spares.. i think..

IMO if there weren't much cheaper alternatives out there (SD cards), people probably wouldn't be complaining that much. I think that a 8GB memory card is big enough for plenty of users...

Message 475 of 527 (83 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
7074 posts

Nov 20, 2012

Logical_Dolphin wrote:

IMO if there weren't much cheaper alternatives out there (SD cards), people probably wouldn't be complaining that much. I think that a 8GB memory card is big enough for plenty of users...

I agree, I think that's exactly the problem.  There are plenty of choices for cheap, portable memory that Sony could have used instead.  8 GB is enough for me though (came with the bundle).

Message 476 of 527 (62 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
215 posts

Nov 20, 2012

dulun18 wrote:

Logical_Dolphin wrote:

With ps2 there were always 3rd party alternatives...Vita has none. And the situation stinks.

Message 477 of 527 (54 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
838 posts

Nov 20, 2012

Logical_Dolphin wrote: 

That is not the way I remember it at all. What I remember is that there weren't any 3rd party memory cards at all during the first year are or so of the PS2's launch. I am certain that the Interact version was not available right away, it was unlicenced and used compression to double the storage size, but you had to use a boot CD to use. It wasn't very late in the PS2's lifecycle that I saw a officially licenced expanded memory card sold for the PS2 by Katana: http://www.cduniverse.com/productinfo.asp?pid=7526741

Compared to the PS1 the PS2 had realitively few licenced memory cards. I personally have the yellow Nyko one. 

Trust me, it was available much earlier than a year or so. Mad Catz stopped selling the PS2 Memory Cards in North America(the ones with the PS and Magic Gate Logo) near the end of 2001, when Sony didn't renew their license after it expired.  Here are some articles regarding Interact, the dates are not 100% on the money that it was available from the start but, it's very close. And i'm pretty sure they were.

http://ca.ign.com/articles/2001/05/10/new-beefed-up-memory-cards-from-interact

http://ca.ign.com/articles/2000/03/11/gdc-2000-interact-gears-up-for-ps2

Message 478 of 527 (44 Views)
0 Likes
PIayStation MVP
12905 posts

Nov 20, 2012

bronxz32 wrote:

Logical_Dolphin wrote: 

Trust me, it was available much earlier than a year or so. Mad Catz stopped selling the PS2 Memory Cards in North America(the ones with the PS and Magic Gate Logo) near the end of 2001, when Sony didn't renew their license after it expired.  Here are some articles regarding Interact, the dates are not 100% on the money that it was available from the start but, it's very close. And i'm pretty sure they were.

http://ca.ign.com/articles/2001/05/10/new-beefed-up-memory-cards-from-interact

http://ca.ign.com/articles/2000/03/11/gdc-2000-interact-gears-up-for-ps2

I think you are correct there were some alternative memory card sources available within the first year the PS2 was released. The first one I noticed was the unlicenced Interact ones. But there is no doubt that Sony was very stringent on whom they allowed to make an officially licenced card...

Message 479 of 527 (119 Views)
0 Likes
Highlighted
Limit Breaker
22603 posts

Dec 2, 2012

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2012/11/29/new-ps-vita-ps-plus-bundle-available-next-week/

maybe this bundle will help

this 4GB included with every bundle    reminded me of  the 1GB MS that included with the psp bundles from way back..  LOL Smiley Happy

I'm using 32GB  (via adapter with 2 Micro SD)  at the moment..

Message 480 of 527 (101 Views)
0 Likes