Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Mar 09 2011
By: Jag_Stilvecchio PlayStation MVP 8171 posts

Online Storage Make PS+ Worth It?

40 replies 369 views Edited Mar 9, 2011

This thread is mostly geared toward non-PS+ subscribers (obviously) but anyone who does subscribe please feel free to chime in.

That said, all of you non-subscribers - does Sony's recent announcement that FW3.60 will bring 150mb of server storage for PS3 save files make PS+ more desirable? Is it enough to tip the scales in favor of purchasing a subscription?

Personally (I do not currently subscribe to PS+) I'm moving closer to buying a year-long subscription. This announment is huge for anyone who has experienced a PS3 failure and lost precious save files - copy protected ones especially. My original 80gb MS bundle PS3 died just over 2yrs into it's life taking many save files with it. The ability to back-up even copy-protected save file data is hugely attractive to me.

That said though, I feel that the back-up feature is what's most attractive and ultimately I'd be paying premium dollars for what amounts to very little server space. Of course there are other benefits to consider.

Please use plain text.
Message 1 of 41 (369 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
9 posts

Re: Online Storage Make PS+ Worth It?

Mar 10, 2011

Has no effect on me getting me any closer to a PS+ membership and 150mb is nothing.  Until the 'free' stuff is actually free to keep after membership, count me out.

Please use plain text.
Message 2 of 41 (369 Views)
0 Likes
Keyblade Wielder
9918 posts

Mar 10, 2011

Nope. 150mb ain't much and I'm not liking having to continue paying the subscription or lose it all.

Please use plain text.
Message 3 of 41 (369 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
586 posts

Mar 10, 2011

LOL a flash drive could do the same thing as "The Cloud" service XD(well maybe not the PS3 copyrighted data).I have a PS+ subscription(not on this account)and I see no real use for it due to the fact the Free games are just Rentals.I personnaly don't care for the early demos & betas but like the free games.I just get w/e trophies i can get and stop playing...unless the game is fun.

Get your Portable ID!Made You Read This...MIND FREAK! IM NOT ALWAYS A RACIST BUT WHEN I AM IT'S ON XBOX LIVE. Raptor Jesus....He went Extinct for our sins http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a196/Aragon101/RaptorJesus-vs-FSM2.jpg?t=1259971737 http://lee.org/blog/wp-content/uploads/2007/06/raptor-jesus.jpg
Please use plain text.
Message 4 of 41 (369 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
281 posts

Mar 10, 2011

how big is a game save to deem a 150megs as not enough?

Please use plain text.
Message 5 of 41 (369 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
9 posts

Mar 10, 2011

Which of course is the real catch.  Keep paying if you want it...forever and ever.  Or *poof* gone, no matter how loyal you've been to Sony otherwise.  They are likely going to keep releasing features that will seems beneficial, as long as you keep the membership (like the storage), so you feel like you're going to lose alot if you don't renew your membership.  Nice hook.

*just wishes people would be smarter consumers*

Please use plain text.
Message 6 of 41 (369 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
236 posts

Mar 10, 2011

This was the tipping point for me. I just purchased a year of PS+ and I got the 3 additional months. Honestly all the content coming soon especially, MK demo, Socom 4 beta, and this cloud saving feature has made me really want to get it, and I did. I guess it is a matter of getting the content for game you are interested in, because honestly I wasn't going to get it untill all these games I was interested in were getting early access to demos and betas.

Please use plain text.
Message 7 of 41 (369 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
6 posts

Mar 10, 2011

Sony said they haven't announced the Cloud would be free for non-Plus members, but that doesn't mean it won't be free soon.  Personally, I'm going to stop buying anything for my PS3 or Go until this is free for everyone.  This is the exact reason I dumpped my 360, because I didn't think I should have to pay for services that should be included with the system,  I know, it's pathetic and my personal boycot won't do anything, but it's the principal of the thing.

Please use plain text.
Message 8 of 41 (369 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1139 posts

Mar 10, 2011

The largest save file that I saw in my saves was about 2.5 mb. The average save file is about 700kb. Unless you buy EVERY game on the market, you are more than likely going to take years to come close the the 150mb limit.

PS4 / PS3 Slim / 60gb PS3 / PS Vita FEB / Big Boss PSP-3000 / PSP-1000 / PS2 / PS1 / Day 1 PS+ / WwLclan[dot]com
Please use plain text.
Message 9 of 41 (369 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1547 posts

Mar 10, 2011

While I think this is a great idea, I some how feel it's wrong that you have to be a Playstation+ member to get this. We already pay for the game as it is, now they want use to pay on top of it for something we should get in the first place.

Hell I can buy a 4gig flash drive or a external HDD 500gigs. Flash drive you can't backup because of some of the games are protected. All I see is PS+ is another way to rip off the consumer. We already pay for the game, why should we have to pay for something we should get already? LOL. Make sense?

Please use plain text.
Message 10 of 41 (369 Views)
0 Likes