Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Sep 07 2012
By: UnrealButcher Uncharted Territory 1508 posts

Old school 6DOF goodness that needs to grace the Vita, please.

3 replies 122 views Edited Sep 7, 2012

So back many a moon ago, when I only had one son. I got this little gem for Fathers Day from him on the PSone. It's name was Descent, and it had a freedom about it that I had never seen in a console game. You could go forward and backwards like DOOM, but unlike DOOM you had to aim up and down (put those cross hairs on your enemies).

Your enemies were mining bots, and the came in a variety of packages. From tanks that would get in your face to stealthy little bugger's that would cloak and come in behind you and beat you with an jack hammer. There were environmental hazards in the later stages like navigating a low ceiling with lava liking at your undercarriage or roof top if you liked to fly that way (since you weren't committed to flying right side up). My Wife would saw, "This game is making me sick", when I'd come into a room upside down, or when trying to escape after blowing up the Reactor Core (lights flashing as you try to find the escape route, you better plan ahead as you're ambushed by security bots). lol.

Then there were upgrades to you miniguns, lasers, and rockets. Here's a video of the intro and first map.

Anyway some of the producers behind Descent and Red Faction: Guerrilla are working on a new project Miner Wars 2081, that from what I've seen is coming to Windows and XBLA. I learned about it when on Steam this past weekend. This needs to come to the Vita if the Vita is capable of running it, and if not it should at least come to the PS3. I personally don't have a PS3, but I'm sure there are fans of the original 3 that were on PSone that would want Sony to do this.

Their Official Site

You should watch on your Vita. Very beautiful

Message 1 of 4 (122 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
293 posts

Re: Old school 6DOF goodness that needs to grace the Vita, please.

Sep 7, 2012

i had that game on PC in the early 90's when i was just a tyke myself. loads of fun. i also enjoyed terminal velocity, kinda similar for it's time. i bet there is some online gaming service where u could play this again...

a game that is a more abstract but a little similar is jumpin jack flash. that is available on the ps store. not quite the same but u might get ur fix for a few dollars. i have not played them in over a decade so i can't attest if they held up but i used to love to love all these games around the same time.

thanks for theads up on miner wars i had not heard of this before but now its on my radar.

Message 2 of 4 (118 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
293 posts

Sep 7, 2012

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Interplay_Productions

also interesting: descent 4 is in development (according to wikipedia? lol cant say how legit) and a wiiware version of descent.

Message 3 of 4 (116 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1508 posts

Sep 11, 2012

alien_jew_420 wrote:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Interplay_Productions

also interesting: descent 4 is in development (according to wikipedia? lol cant say how legit) and a wiiware version of descent.

Funny I read in that or one of the links that Red Faction had been rumored to be Descent 4, because of the main character being named Parker. Then you look at whose working on Miner Wars 2081 and see it's people from Descent and Red Faction. Hmm.

Message 4 of 4 (74 Views)
0 Likes