Apr 15 2017
By: MightyUnclean First Son 5 posts

Old man looking for RPG/JRPG options!

43 replies 381 views Edited 2 weeks ago

Hey folks,

I'm considering getting a PS4, mainly for RPG and JRPG games.  I haven't had a console since the PS2.  I'm afraid I've gotten kind of old and slow.  Are there any of these kinds of games that are still turn-based, or have action combat that isn't too twitchy and difficult?  I understand that even Final Fantasy has action combat now!

Thanks for any advice!

Message 1 of 44 (381 Views)
Hekseville Citizen
278 posts

Re: Old man looking for RPG/JRPG options!

2 weeks ago
PS3 has even more of these games in this game type and PS4 is even worth it for RPG games as well.I also play these games without being online to PSN servers.
Message 2 of 44 (374 Views)
0 Likes
Last Guardian
9438 posts

2 weeks ago

Before the resident naysayers get here and put you off with their biased and ignorant comments, I'll give you an honest and unbiased answer - yes. There are numerous turn-based rpgs for the PS4 and they're great. The last 2 I've played and recommend are World of Final Fantasy and Persona 5. 

If you actually enjoy games and variety, you'll enjoy a PS4. If you decide to venture outside of turn-based rpgs, there's plenty of other games just as great as the rpgs I mentioned.

If you made this thread year 1 after PS4 released, I'd tell you to save your money but those of us that weathered the drought, were rewarded with a large library of great games and sweet exclusives. Ignore anyone that tells you otherwise. They're out of touch and stuck in a whiney pit that they can't see out of and they choose to stay there, totally ignoring that the games they whine about not having, have been releasing month after month for at least 2 years now. 

photo Qull-1-1.jpg
Message 3 of 44 (367 Views)
Hekseville Citizen
357 posts

[ Edited ]
2 weeks ago

Here are my suggestions for RPG games available on the PS4

• Witcher 3
    • This game is the best "western" RPG out right now. If the game is too tough (it does have action combat) you can tone the difficulty down. I'm not kidding when I say that the writing, voice acting, animation, and thinking that it makes you do is Grade-A. The main quest is good but most of the side quests are as good if not better, the game deals with some very serious topics and handles them well. The game is based off of a book series and revolves around old Polish mythology. (It's the pride of Poland too, they gave a gift copy of the previous game in the series to President Obama.) I personally don't own it because I don't have the time to invest in it but I'm confident in saying that it's a good game.
  • Final Fantasy XV
    • The game does have an easy mode if that's any consolation. Right now the game is still getting content added to it because at launch the story was mildly incomplete, so I'm holding off on buying it until they're selling the complete edition. It's a slow burning game where the adventuring is the key part of the adventure. Careful that you don't run out of gas in your car! It's you and your boy band-esque crew as you go fishing, go camping, see the sights, and save your kingdom from the war!
  • Persona 5
    • You don't need to own any previous games in this series to start. Because this game is fairly new and there were some restrictions on video content I have not seen many reviews for it. I strongly suggest keeping an eye on this one as it may be a real shining gem, just like 3 & 4. I can't say more because I don't know much more.

Here are games I don't (DO NOT) suggest:

• Mass Effect: Andromeda
    • Oh boy, this one is a stinker. Made by a mostly-new Paris team on a mostly-new engine, the animations, script, and gameplay are all either buggy or lackluster. While the shooting mechanics in this one are the best out of the series, the RPG part of this game manages to be the worst in the series. It's terrible. It's really, really bad and it's still being patched but it's unlikely that Bioware will fix most of the problems. Your crew mates make idle conversation about events that have not happened in the story yet, the lead characters make stupid almost-smirks when faced with serious news (Assuming anything but their eyes and mouth moved at the same time; talk about uncanny valley!), and the writing is adolescent in some sections. I wish I wasn't kidding when I say that closing your eyes during a cutscene might improve the game. The overarching story completely sidesteps the serious topic of colonialism and the bad guys are very flat characters. I wish I was over-exaggerating but sadly I could go on. It's mediocre and has rare sparks of greatness.
  • I Am Setsuna
    • This game is actually alright overall. I'm mentioning it here because going in with too high of an expectation could ruin it for you. The marketing compared this game to Chrono Trigger but despite imitating it a lot this game still doesn't shine as bright as that older star. I Am Setsuna is an old school style JRPG through and through but unfortunately its only improvements are the 3D graphics and an upgrade shop.
  • The Last of Us (in my opinion)
    • It's a good game, but I can't recommend it. I think you'll enjoy it even with your lack of skill by turning the difficulty down, so don't worry about getting swamped by the action segments, but the game's somber tone just made me not want to play it. The music is good, the set pieces are good, and the characters are good; but the motifs of "every kill is a struggle of life and death" and "humans are a greater evil than zombies" made me stop playing the game. The characters are all acted well (all motion capture) and the game's writing is good despite playing almost every zombie trope straight. But it's going to be one sad event after another and some of the side stories tell tales of a loving family killed for no good reason. My enthusiasm waned and I never finished it.
  • Grand Theft Auto V (in my opinion)
    • Similar to GTA4 where the arcade gameplay of GTA3 was abandoned in favor of a more standard big budget AAA game with a story. Full of crude things, including a torture scene this time, and crude people, this action romp is very cynical and too full of realistic violence for my tastes. It has plenty more mini-games this time around and lots of humor sprinkled throughout the city. The driving alone is going to be a blast. Unfortunately the RPG elements introduced don't add much fun... Hope you like not having enough money to buy a car or more ammo. You have three characters to play as and explore their falling-apart lives. Watch out for the police as they will actively spawn near you once you rack up stars meaning they don't behave like the previous games. The online multiplayer is a microtransaction-fueled grind where you have to level up before you can fly the awesome jets. If the core gameplay loop of going around and causing mayhem is fun for you then you'll like it. Not many choices to make overall though so it's not much of an RPG at heart.

Now if this was for the PC I could recommend some budget titles that don't take much processing power to run. Games like OFF, LISA, Undertale, Oneshot, Suits, Mother 3/Earthbound 2, Dropsy, and maybe even Mogeko Castle. These are all good games I could elaborate on.

Message 4 of 44 (358 Views)
Hekseville Citizen
366 posts

2 weeks ago

Old timer here also, who almost exclusively plays rpgs.  Unfortunately the industry has moved away from turn based rpgs, though there are a handful out there.  That being said there are a plenty of rpgs on the PS4 that will keep you busy for hours.  This is my current collection and will pick up more when find them at a reasonable price.

197.jpg

Message 5 of 44 (318 Views)
Treasure Hunter
5756 posts

2 weeks ago

IF you like JRPG get Kingdom Hearts 1.5+ 2.5 ReMIX if you like Disney and Finaly Fantasy gaming over 150+ hours of gaming content to not have you bored. Plus its DISNEY ! I'm going to be buying it.. How old are you? I'm 32

photo yank10954_zpsvywwavr9.jpg
Message 6 of 44 (295 Views)
Treasure Hunter
4592 posts

2 weeks ago

Games also have difficulty settings, there is no shame in setting it to easy if you need it to progress in a game. Uncharted Collection and Uncharted 4 are GREAT!

I Enjoy Gaming I don't hate anything about it! Elite Dangerous is coming soon to PS4
Message 7 of 44 (285 Views)
MVP Support
11518 posts

2 weeks ago

There is an upcoming indie RPG, that looks pretty good called Soul Saga, it uses a turn based style. (actual turn based, not ATB like World of Final Fantasy)

It's supposed to be out later this year.

Message 8 of 44 (245 Views)
Ghost of Sparta
14249 posts

[ Edited ]
2 weeks ago

Fairy fencer F advent dark force

rainbowmoon

Atelier Firis

Soon as Tales of berseria goes on sale i'm buying it!!!

Own any of the sword art games?

touhou: scarlet curiousity

atelier sophie the alchemist of the mysters book

I know there more just can't think of them? PS4 store has many digital only games to explore as well plus it's always fun hunting down new games that I've never seen nor heard of that pop up here and there in the PS storeSmiley Very Happy

Genre: Action role-playing game

Message 9 of 44 (239 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
708 posts

2 weeks ago

This won't be the most popular answer, But If you want the widest verity of RPG/JRPG You will want to emulate on a good pc.   The reason for this is not that the pc is the master race or anything like that, It's just, once you consider how many systems you can emulate on a modest pc,   Nes, Snes, Genesis, Tg16. Psone, ps2, Gamecube,  And all of these work great on a very modest pc with a decent video card.  Don't get me wrong, I am a console fan. But only a fool wouldn't realize the potential gaming fun to be had with a pc connected to one's Tv and a good gamepad. 

I'm not trying to upset the forums,  Or the mods or the gaming community or anything. I'm just speaking the gospel Truth.

SP.

Please Check out my Youtube channel
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UClkYHT2i4leN2sULZhNcRyA
Message 10 of 44 (222 Views)
0 Likes