Wastelander
883 posts

Re: Old gaming systems are the most reliable.

May 27, 2010

Doppelgangergang wrote:

Yeah, as if your old system is a supercomputer in a box.

nobody said any sinlg eone of the prior systems are supercomputers. thats actually more the point, older systems lasted longer due to the lacking of powerful technology. i dont dislike new tech, or i wouldnt buy it. but i can accept that its not going to last as long as something that only does 1/100th of what it could do

Message 11 of 17 (10 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
916 posts

May 28, 2010

The older systems did only 1 thing, play games. No need for updates and crap. If the systems of today only played games, no one would by them. Now adays everything electronic we buy has to multi-task. Even tvs are hooking up to the internet now.

Message 12 of 17 (10 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1798 posts

May 28, 2010

I wonder if in the early years the NES and SNES, N64, Sega, all had issues similar to the ones today... And over time they were ironed out. I have a NES that is still playable, my PS1 is still playable. My PS2 died after 8 great years... And if I don't replace my thermal paste on my PS3 within the next month, it won't even make it to 2 1/2 years... It's all the different things we have been offered with todays electronics. Companies are pushing things out before even taking the slightest look at them is another reason why.

Message 13 of 17 (10 Views)
0 Likes
PIayStation MVP
12905 posts

May 28, 2010
This is the first generation that Sony had to contend with using a cooling system, thermal grease, and lead-free soldier. Hopefully Sony will keep this in mind when designing future PS3 models & the PS4...
Message 14 of 17 (10 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
5269 posts

May 28, 2010

t112233 wrote:

all i'm saying here is that why are the new game systems so high in failure rates and always keep troubling people. most of my cousins still have the first ps2 models out and never had a problem and still work fine. now the newer systems won't even last 3 years. why is technology crapping out like that. isn't it supposed to be more reliable? to me it seems its not.

More moving parts = More room for error.

Message 15 of 17 (10 Views)
0 Likes
VP of Gaming
30083 posts

May 28, 2010

Other Platforms
This is first and foremost a PlayStation community. As such, discussions on our gaming forums should be PlayStation-oriented. Topics related to other gaming platforms may be deemed off-topic and removed at our discretion. Furthermore, platform vs. platform threads never end well, often resulting in a flame war. Please refrain from creating such threads on the forums.

Other Platforms

Fastest Grandma In GT
Message 16 of 17 (10 Views)
0 Likes
Highlighted
First Son
1 posts

Jan 24, 2012

I know this thread is roughly 2 years old, but I might as well give my 2 cents. As most people have said, its due to the simplicity of how the older generation of consoles where designed and manufactured. All you did was put the game in and turn the power on and that was it. You didn't have to worry about firmware updates *shivers*, or online access or any of that because the BIOS and everything was completely hardwired. They were true embedded systems back in those days. Now they're trying to make consoles act like general purpose PCs, which does allow them to do more, but at the cost of reliability. I'd also like to add that the older generation of games were more reliable and less prone to crashing due to the simplicity in programming.

Remember folks. Simpler is just better.

Later

Message 17 of 17 (10 Views)
0 Likes