Jul 11 2010
By: LostCorrectly First Son 4 posts

Old 80GB Backwards-Compatible PS3 is doomed.

25 replies 5440 views Edited Jul 11, 2010

I preface this by saying that I know there's nothing that can be done for my PS3.  The only thing to do is send it in for repairs which should cost, I believe, roughly $150, which I don't have the money for.  I just thought that the official Playstation forums should be aware of the blasphemy that has caused my respect for Sony to spiral down the drain. 

In November of 2009 I bought a used 80GB PS3, one of the originals that was fully backwards compatible with PS2 games as well as PS1 games.  I would like to state that one of my main motivations for buying the PS3 instead of the Wii was Final Fantasy XIII, as well as Versus XIII (I'm a Final Fantasy fanboy).  The hard drive had been completely reformatted, as is GameStop's policy on used game consoles.  Christmas of '09, I got a couple of games, one of them being Call of Duty Modern Warfare 2.  I experienced a problem that apparently a lot of people on the older PS3 models experienced: after every online match in CoD: MW2, the entire system would freeze upon re-entering the lobby.  Not just the game, the entire system.  The PS3 controller would be completely unresponsive.  After I realized that this was not a one time fluk due to overheating, or some other condition that could've been accidently caused by me, I decided to simply not play the game at all.  Then something weird happened all in the same day that this took place: my PS3's ability to read Blu-Ray movies (I tried multiple ones) became destroyed.  Not a single Blu-Ray movie would be recognized when I put the disc in the PS3.  The icon simply wouldn't show up.  Still doesn't.  That didn't really bother me that much because I'm perfectly satisfied with the quality that DVD's put out. 

However, within less than a week of said day, my PS3 started having trouble reading LittleBigPlanet.  It would only read it sometimes, even though the disc was spotless.  It read Assassin's Creed 2, Killzone 2, and Marvel Ultimate Alliance 2 all just fine.  Along with CoD: MW2, I received a copy of Metal Gear Solid 4 for Christmas.  I hadn't yet tried this game before, so I put it in, and to this day, July 2010, my PS3 has never been able to read this (or any) brand new copy of Metal Gear Solid 4.  Batman: Arkham Asylum (another game received in Chrstmas of '09) is sometimes not recognized, but even when it is, there are certain specific character upgrades that consistently cause the entire system to freeze (meaning that nothing responds and the only option is to manually switch the power off). 

Now all of the above are issues that I've dealt with since December 25 of last year.  I've bit my tongue because the PS2 is the all time best selling console of all time, and the PS3 is a far more capable machine than any game console on the market.  Recently, however, I started a GameFly account.  What was the first game on my list?  Final Fantasy XIII.  Booyah, right?  Nope, it's just like Metal Gear Solid 4, my PS3 absolutely will not read/recognize this game ever under any circumstances.  I've tried deleting all of my game data, resetting the PS3 back to factory defaults, and completely reformatting the hard drive.  Nothing works. Final Fantasy XIII, as well as Metal Gear Solid 4 won't read.  I have to use my friend's newer PS3 to play the game. 

This is ridiculous.  After I beat Final Fantasy XIII, the next game on my GameFly list is God of War 3.  I thought I'd replay the first two God of War games for PS2 since I own both and it's a good break from Final Fantasy while getting me syched up for the third God of War.  Well, whaddya know, the first God of War refuses to be recognized by my PS3.  God of War 2 is recognized, however, after getting at least three fourths into the game (right before the fight with the sisters of fate), my save file will not load.  The game will still be recognized and will boot up fine.  I go to load my save file, aaaand it just loads and loads for over 10 minutes.  It would probably go longer if I had any more patience left in me.  But still, I thought to myself, "It's OK, I'll just start a new game, blast through it again and just not save at that part."  Well, not even one fourth into the game, at the exact spot where an essential boss fight is supposed to be initiated, it does not.

I understand that the God of War 2 issues could be a software issue, but this is the point where I have to make a complaint on the forums.  I really feel that Sony originally released faulty game consoles for the express purpose to get their die-hard fans, the ones with the original PS3s, to buy their new, slim PS3 which isn't backwards compatible and is, in general, not nearly as awesome as the original PS3.  Although I guess that's not true, because I bet the new PS3s read all PS3 games.  I'm just amazed.  Sony, my respect has completely gone down the drain, and I don't plan on getting a new slim PS3.  I'll get a Wii next time. 

Please use plain text.
Message 1 of 26 (5,440 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3552 posts

Re: Old 80GB Backwards-Compatible PS3 is doomed.

Jul 11, 2010
This is what you get for buying used from GameStop. The blu-ray is dead and has a harder time reading FFXIII as it is a dual layer disc vs. a game such as Rock Band which uses very little space.

Please use plain text.
Message 2 of 26 (5,440 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
4933 posts

Jul 11, 2010

LostCorrectly wrote:

I preface this by saying that I know there's nothing that can be done for my PS3.  The only thing to do is send it in for repairs which should cost, I believe, roughly $150, which I don't have the money for.  I just thought that the official Playstation forums should be aware of the blasphemy that has caused my respect for Sony to spiral down the drain. 

In November of 2009 I bought a used 80GB PS3

theres your biggest mistake surprised it lasted this long

Please use plain text.
Message 3 of 26 (5,440 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1120 posts

Jul 11, 2010

I have to agree, you bought a used console-why would you expect it to be perfect-it was something that someone else was having problems with and  they wanted to get rid of. I have the same unit and don't have any problems with it.

Please use plain text.
Message 4 of 26 (5,440 Views)
0 Likes
Gaming Beast
2530 posts

Jul 11, 2010

You might try gophermods they are cheaper in their PS3 repairs

Please use plain text.
Message 5 of 26 (5,440 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
63 posts

Jul 11, 2010

I stopped reading at the "In November of 2009 I bought a used 80GB PS3" part because I don't bother to read paragraphs of text. I was warned of purchasing used consoles for the risk of having the problems that you stated above. I guess that serves as a lesson to think twice about buying used systems. Blaming Sony for a malfunctioning PS3 that you bought used from a store is not going to help anyways. Enjoy your Nintendo Wii.

Please use plain text.
Message 6 of 26 (5,440 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
48 posts

Jul 11, 2010

Yea, I learned the same lesson when I got a used gamecube from gamestop. The question of why was this system sold in the first place should pop up in your head. Plus, I know a decent amount of people who do things like sell their broken systems to stores to get money for it so it always makes me suspicious.

Please use plain text.
Message 7 of 26 (5,440 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
26 posts

Jul 11, 2010

Used  -_- , there you go, problem fixed.    Under no circumstances, buy a SYSTEM, used.  It'll be your downfall. Plain and simple.

No handlebars........no handlebars
Please use plain text.
Message 8 of 26 (5,440 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
4933 posts

Jul 11, 2010

gamestop will take anything that works when they get it. my friends other system rrod he did the towel trick got it working and turned it in and got store credit which he put towards a new system. how long you think that lasted the poor kid who bought it. always buy new especially consoles.

Please use plain text.
Message 9 of 26 (5,440 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
2001 posts

Jul 11, 2010

That's what you get. Should have instead bought a brand new slim and a brand new ps2 and you woun't have this issue.

Please use plain text.
Message 10 of 26 (5,440 Views)