Ok, let's deal with facts.
What Sony does with after warranty repairs:
1) They don't repair. They send you a refurb.
2) Refurb doesn't have your saved games, may have been treated worse than yours. Who knows. If you treat your crap right, then you should feel robbed any time someone offers you a refurb as a "repair"
3) They take the ones you send them and some that can be salvaged they repair and offer to another person as a refurb.
4) As a manufacturer, if they do fix YLOD problems, they cannot reball it with lead. It's law that prevents them from using it in the first place. At best they may reflow.
5) We all know reflow is a temporary fix.
6) 90 days is about long enough for a reflow to fail.
If you have a unit out of warranty, what a professional third party repair show will do:
1) Actually identify the problem and give you an estimate for a repair OF YOUR UNIT. This is an important distinction.
2) If YLOD, they will be able to reball it.
3) Many of these shops do that and still charge less than Sony.
4) Many of these shops offer longer warranty on the repair than Sony.
So I'd say whether you believe the "stories" or not, objectively you can't say Sony is the best out of warranty repair option. You can, but you aren't saying it based on factual information.