Mar 03 2009
By: MudMonkey13 Fender Bender 4606 posts

Official Bluetooth Headset Mute Beep

18 replies 1802 views Edited Mar 3, 2009
What the hell was Sony thinking when they made it so that the headset beeps every 10 seconds while muted?  This is a horrible and annoying function.  It makes so that the mute function is completely useless to me.  Is it so you don't forget that you are muted?  We are not all idiots.  There should be some sort of option to turn it off.  I've been playing Killzone 2 lately which uses an open mic system (I hate open mics) and would like to mute myself from time to time, but I can't stand that beeping.  Makes me want to not even bother with any of this. 
Message 1 of 19 (1,802 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1460 posts

Re: Official Bluetooth Headset Mute Beep

Mar 3, 2009
Photobucket
Message 2 of 19 (1,802 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
4606 posts

Mar 3, 2009

Tay6108 wrote:

Explain yourself please.  Are you saying you like the mute beeping?

Message 3 of 19 (1,802 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1460 posts

Mar 3, 2009
Dude, it's simple. If the beeping bothers you then don't use it (common sense). You can always get a USB headset with a mute button. If I'm playing an open mic game there are times where I'll use the USB mic so I don't have to hear the beeping of the official one. But it's rare now because I'm so used to the beeping that it doesn't bother me anymore.
Photobucket
Message 4 of 19 (1,802 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3790 posts

Mar 3, 2009

Hey monkey, I guess you would already think about this but I turn my mic on sometimes, mute it, and set it on the table so I don't hear the voices talking and no one can hear me just for the sake of gaming in peace. I hope you tried this. Otherwise I can only assume that you want to be able to not let others hear you but listen to what others are saying, if that is the case, you might just want to change the input device to something not connected and then you can hear what others say without the beep and they cant hear you.

P.S. Beeping does not annoy me.

Underground Member Since: 04/07/1998
Message 5 of 19 (1,802 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
4606 posts

Mar 3, 2009

Tay6108 wrote:
Dude, it's simple. If the beeping bothers you then don't use it (common sense). You can always get a USB headset with a mute button. If I'm playing an open mic game there are times where I'll use the USB mic so I don't have to hear the beeping of the official one. But it's rare now because I'm so used to the beeping that it doesn't bother me anymore.

Don't tell me that it's simple and common sense.  It's not.  I have the USB mic.  Getting a bluetooth mic should be an upgrade.  Right?   I wanted the Official mic because it has a mute button.  I just can't get used to that beeping.  It simply grates on my nerves too much.  I just don't understand why they had to make it beep like that.

Message 6 of 19 (1,802 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1320 posts

Mar 3, 2009
I think adding the beeping reminder was a bad idea too. I hate it. but if they're just absolutely hell bent on keeping a function that reminds you you're muted maybe they can take that beep crap off and maybe flash a short message somewhere on the screen. a better idea would be to leave it up to the player to remember his mic is muted. every time you press a button on the headset a message pops up in response to what your input was now anyway so why not just leave it at that? if you're not sure or dont' remember if you're muted press one of the buttons realy quick and SEE. yep, truly a bad idea.
Message 7 of 19 (1,802 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
4606 posts

Mar 3, 2009

Viprdude wrote:

Hey monkey, I guess you would already think about this but I turn my mic on sometimes, mute it, and set it on the table so I don't hear the voices talking and no one can hear me just for the sake of gaming in peace. I hope you tried this. Otherwise I can only assume that you want to be able to not let others hear you but listen to what others are saying, if that is the case, you might just want to change the input device to something not connected and then you can hear what others say without the beep and they cant hear you.

P.S. Beeping does not annoy me.

The thing is that sometimes there are other people in the room with conversations going on.  They don't want to hear the voices coming out of the TV and I don't want the other players to hear them and myself talking.  I could change the input.  But then if I do have something to say to my team then I won't be able to.  I guess the other solution would be if the freaking game had a push to talk option.  I much prefer that.

P.s.  I guess it's just me then.  

Message 8 of 19 (1,802 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
4606 posts

Mar 3, 2009

BiggRapp313 wrote:
I think adding the beeping reminder was a bad idea too. I hate it. but if they're just absolutely hell bent on keeping a function that reminds you you're muted maybe they can take that beep crap off and maybe flash a short message somewhere on the screen. a better idea would be to leave it up to the player to remember his mic is muted. every time you press a button on the headset a message pops up in response to what your input was now anyway so why not just leave it at that? if you're not sure or dont' remember if you're muted press one of the buttons realy quick and SEE. yep, truly a bad idea.

This. 

Message 9 of 19 (1,802 Views)
0 Likes
Monster Hunter
43 posts

Mar 3, 2009

Funny you sohuld bring this up.  Completely unrelated to the PS3, I just hooked up a Jabra headset to my home office (I work from home).   Got the same thing -- stupid thing beeps every 10 seconds when muted, not to mention there's a big red light on the base that also lights up when muted.  I called Jabra and ... nope, no way to turn it off.    I probably spend 15 hours a week on the phone, and probably 2/3 of that is me being muted.  I can't use the damn thing if it's going to beep like that. 

Their explanation was that it would cause too many customer calls thinking their unit is broken ... not sure I buy that.  

Maybe Sony's headset is made by Jabra?

Message 10 of 19 (1,802 Views)
0 Likes