Dec 15 2010
By: gravity_decides Monster Hunter 45 posts

Obscure PSOne Games

10 replies 1653 views Edited Dec 15, 2010

It seems like the PSOne is known for by games like Tekken, Twisted Metal, Metal Gear Solid, Crash Bandicoot, Jet Moto, Spyro, Resident Evil, Final Fantasy 7, etc...this list could go on with successful and recognizable games.

However, there were a lot of great PSOne games that flew under the radar during the systems heyday. I thought I'd share this list of games that fit that bill:

Shadow Master: This was an FPS except you rolled around in a badass vehicle. The enemies exploded into pieces when killed and the graphics were decent for it's time.

Forsaken: A 360 degree shooter like Descent, however this one had great graphics and gameplay. Weapons were cool and multiplayer was addicting as hell.

Darklight Conflict: My favorite space shooter for the system. Had a ton of fun completing the various missions in the game.

Star Gladiator: An early sci-fi fighter from Capcom that had interesting characters to play and fun combat.

Powerslave: A FPS Doom clone set in Ancient Egypt. I remember this one having kickass weapons and lots of mummies and scorpions to kill. Fun Romp!

Akuji the Heartless: This was my favorite (next to Tomb Raider) 3rd person game. Dark world and Akuji has plenty of voodoo powers to unleash. Doesn't get any better than that.

Thousand Arms: This is such a good RPG. The graphics still hold up.

Kingsley's Adventure: A great Zelda-like platformer. Story is very good and the gameplay is a blast.

Juggernaut: A Myst-style game where you must venture to hell to save your possessed girlfriend.

Omega Boost: Very fun mech space shooter. The environments in bosses in this one were well done.

Martian Gothic: A survival horror set in a base on Mars. Had some interesting ideas and gameplay.

Koudelka: A gothic-style RPG. Very dark, cool monsters.

Those are just a few of the obscure titles I can think of at this time. What are your favorite obscure PSOne games?

Message 1 of 11 (1,653 Views)
Fender Bender
3627 posts

Re: Obscure PSOne Games

Jan 8, 2011

Oh god yes! You just listed Thousand Arms. My favorite rpg of all time! Truly recommend that game to anyone who likes rpgs.

Hmmm how about Tomba? One of the most original and most entertaining platformers of all time. It even had rpg elements in where you interacted with villagers and other characters and were asked to do/find things for them.

There are more great rare games, I will list them later on or when I remember more of them.

The great thing 'bout ps1 is the fact that most games got a lot of love so it's rare to find good games that weren't successful.

Photobucket
Message 2 of 11 (1,654 Views)
First Son
8 posts

Feb 6, 2011

Future Cop L.A.P.D. is my favourite game of all time. Nothing has come close to being as great as that game was for me. Unfortunately I lost my only copy a few years ago & in its obscurity no where has it for me to buy it again, so now I wait to see if it will ever be released in NA PSN store...

Message 3 of 11 (1,654 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
548 posts

Feb 6, 2011

i'd add Heart of Darkness to this list, such an awesome adventure game

Message 4 of 11 (1,654 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
8502 posts

Feb 9, 2011

a couple of less known ones... i don't know which are obscure which are not anymore...

Dragon valor

Katia: The world of Fate

Khamrai

Vanguard bandits

Brigandine

Message 5 of 11 (1,654 Views)
0 Likes
Gaming Beast
2260 posts

Feb 16, 2011

One of my favorite games is apparently obscure.. Populous.

Marcus

W3R1
Message 6 of 11 (1,654 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
30 posts

Mar 3, 2011

LSD: Dream Emulator

Tecmo's Deception

Intelligent Qube

MTV Music Generator

Message 7 of 11 (1,654 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
8 posts

Jul 25, 2012

I would love for Koudelka, Brigandine, and Thousand Arms to come to the PSN.

Message 8 of 11 (1,634 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
20 posts

Jul 26, 2012

Some that I grew up playing and still have that I'd like to see on the PSN (mainly so I can put them on my PSP without the hassle of an emulator):

Shadow Madness

Jade Cocoon (Japan has it on their PSN)

Star Ocean: The Second Story (not the PSP version)

Final Fantasy IV (I have the updated PSP version though lol)

Other than that, as of now, regarding the PSOne section, most of my wishes have been granted.

Now about the PS2 section....... 

Get your Portable ID!

PS1 - PS2 - PSP - PS3 - DSi XL - 3DS XL - Wii - PC
Message 9 of 11 (1,625 Views)
Lombax Warrior
121 posts

Jul 28, 2012

Nothing could be more obsure than these 2 games

Discworld  the sometimes boring, but often very silly adventure game

Q Bert   The PS1 version is incredibly unique. As you jump on more squares to complete the levels the more the game opens to reveal more and some pretty fun levels.

Message 10 of 11 (1,613 Views)
0 Likes