Treasure Hunter
4902 posts

Re: All PS+ Items to date (3/1/11 update, #25)...$409.07 of free items thus far ($16.36 free per update, $40.90 per month), $339.34 saved from discounts!

Mar 10, 2011

I understand but I wouldn't call it the "pr0d1gy disclaimer" either lol. A simpler disclaimer that just says the content rotates and to check the store for current offers is probably a better way to say it.

Message 10 of 17 (57 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
5 posts

Re: All PS+ Items to date (3/1/11 update, #25)...$409.07 of free items thus far ($16.36 free per update, $40.90 per month), $339.34 saved from discounts!

Mar 11, 2011

The one thing I fail to see in your post is the fact that while there are "free items", although you are paying for the privilege to receive these "free items", the odds of these "free items" being something truly worth while are slim to none. Granted, some people will be please with what is offered. People like me, however, will never justify the cost of membership so we can have PS1 titles, one hour game demos, avatars, or themes. The value of these "free items" can never be justified unless you wanted these items to begin with.

Message 11 of 17 (57 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3183 posts

Mar 11, 2011

eu i think has better stuff at least for me. they got 17 count'em 17 avatars for free we have 4 for right now,  they also have a space for ps home as well as some other stuff for it. we got burn zombie burn masks that are in the mall for 2.99, free for what a week or 2. im paying for this so why dont we have access to all this stuff, i can under stand if it was a eu only thing but if its stuff like kz3 thats in every region then why isnt in are's as well

Message 12 of 17 (57 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
298 posts

Mar 11, 2011

mcchurd wrote:

The one thing I fail to see in your post is the fact that while there are "free items", although you are paying for the privilege to receive these "free items", the odds of these "free items" being something truly worth while are slim to none. Granted, some people will be please with what is offered. People like me, however, will never justify the cost of membership so we can have PS1 titles, one hour game demos, avatars, or themes. The value of these "free items" can never be justified unless you wanted these items to begin with.

mcchurd,

Very true, when you purchase PS+ you do take a chance that you will not recover your $50 investment. But I find the chances of that happening to be really small or slim to none. At the current averages, PS+ members will have received a potential of over $600 in free content and over $500 in savings throughout the 15 month subscription. With a potential of $1100 in value, you would only have to like less than 5% of the items offered (in terms of value) to break even. I think that its safe to say that for me personally, I have enjoyed about 40-60% of the items offered (this is based upon what I played, what discounts I have used and subtracting for games I had all ready purchased). On PSN games alone you would only need to like about 25% of the offerings to break even. With that said, should you dislike/not want a large group of items offered (say you only want PSN games) then your chances of not getting your money back increases. I would be interested though to see an honestly complied list of PS+ items offered that you would have an interest in to see what your PS+ value would be if you joined day 1.

Silver,

Since PS+ has been offered, there has been 16 avatars offered for free in the US so it would seem like we are right on par with them. While I can't remember the source for sure (I'm thinking a comment in the PS blog), I do remember hearing that they are working on bringing to the US the PS+ home space along with some of their custom themes (I think the PS+ dynamic theme was the one offered in the fall to EU PS+ members)

Message 13 of 17 (57 Views)
0 Likes
Monster Hunter
33 posts

Mar 11, 2011

Just a quick note...

With PS+ you are renting the games, once your paid subscriptions runs out the games no longer function, so you are not getting anything for free , you are renting...

Message 14 of 17 (57 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
7 posts

Mar 15, 2011

Mark,

While I don't have many posts here (not sure how much posts = influence here) but your spreadsheet is easy to understand to anyone who uses an iota of reading and comprehension ability.  It would be stupid for Sony to keep these things up for free constantly, if they did nobody would buy them and just wait until they are free on PS+.  Anyway just wanted to reverse the trend of making it seem like you are intentionally misleading people.

As for the claim that we are just renting the games and don't own them, guess what?  According to EULA's we are just buying a license that loows us to play the games as long as the companies let us anyway.  Imagine if Valve dropped Steam, millions of dollars lost to customers who rented games.

Message 15 of 17 (57 Views)
0 Likes
Monster Hunter
33 posts

Mar 22, 2011

^Not really the samething, with PS+ the games are rented, not owned or bought...

Many of Sony's rented games are single player not online play.

Message 16 of 17 (57 Views)
0 Likes