Survivor
2374 posts

Re: Nvidia crying over AMD Console deal, downplays PS4 like it's nothing...

Sep 27, 2013
Yeah they have been on a console bashing spree lately.

Just nod and enjoy your console games and let them continue crying.
Message 11 of 28 (142 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3105 posts

Sep 27, 2013

Just have to hope they got a handle on the cooling situation or it will be worse than the PS3 as many of the AMD's tend to run much hotter than the Nvidias of the same specs.

gta5 photo: GTAV banner gta5_banner.jpg
Message 12 of 28 (138 Views)
0 Likes
Big Daddy
16918 posts

[ Edited ]
Sep 27, 2013

kythunder wrote:

Just have to hope they got a handle on the cooling situation or it will be worse than the PS3 as many of the AMD's tend to run much hotter than the Nvidias of the same specs.

I have the opposite experience. 

My old crossfire 7950's OC'd ran MUCH cooler compared to my standard clocked Titan's (2 in SLI). Both of them use a single GPU each, and were both water cooled.

My Titans, at idle are consistently 5*C higher. Under load, when running SolidWorks, they run the same temps within about 5% of each other.

Nvidia is the one that needs to get their crap together with their drivers..... I spent $1600 on my Titans, and a single 780 is VERY comparable to a Titan. And the scaling in games does not bode well for the future of these cards. But I'm sure that has more to do with the games themselves

I primarily use my PC for CAD work which both SolidWorks and Inventor both take advantage of CUDA, so CUDA cores is what determines what GPU I get, and Nvidia cards tend to have the highest count of CUDA cores, and the difference between the 780 and Titan is less than 10% in terms of CUDA core count. 

If the 800series cards have only slightly more CUDA cores than either the 780 or Titan, I'm selling my Titans and just going 4-way SLI with the 780's as I figure the performance benefit is about 60% better for about 40% less money.

Furiously Chaosing
Message 13 of 28 (129 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
2546 posts

Sep 27, 2013

kythunder wrote:

Why are people making a big deal out of this?

when the PS5 comes out and they switch back to Nvidia are all you same people going to say"SCREW AMD".?

they both make decent products,who gives a crap what they say,it's all hot air anyway,and every company does it.

Its not AMD VS Nividia, I could care less who supplys the graphics for the PS4 or PS5, its when they act like childish idiots that is the bad part.

Message 14 of 28 (121 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
2546 posts

Sep 27, 2013

kythunder wrote:

I remember this being talked about over six months ago and analysts where saying that Nvidia stocks will drop and everything else,yet their stock has did nothing but go up and still worth way more than AMD....yea they will lose a little money by not having the consoles but their is plenty of PC gamers and they are not going to hurt one bit.

Its not about them being hurt b/c they did not make the deal, its the fact that its the huge loss in potential profit. They will do fine w/ PC sales but they would be doing even better w/  all the PS4 / XB1 sales and now they cant reep those benifits.

Message 15 of 28 (120 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3105 posts

Sep 27, 2013

gR3yGh051 wrote:

kythunder wrote:

My old crossfire 7950's OC'd ran MUCH cooler compared to my standard clocked Titan's (2 in SLI). Both of them use a single GPU each, and were both water cooled.

My Titans, at idle are consistently 5*C higher. Under load, when running SolidWorks, they run the same temps within about 5% of each other.

Nvidia is the one that needs to get their crap together with their drivers..... I spent $1600 on my Titans, and a single 780 is VERY comparable to a Titan. And the scaling in games does not bode well for the future of these cards. But I'm sure that has more to do with the games themselves

I primarily use my PC for CAD work which both SolidWorks and Inventor both take advantage of CUDA, so CUDA cores is what determines what GPU I get, and Nvidia cards tend to have the highest count of CUDA cores, and the difference between the 780 and Titan is less than 10% in terms of CUDA core count. 

If the 800series cards have only slightly more CUDA cores than either the 780 or Titan, I'm selling my Titans and just going 4-way SLI with the 780's as I figure the performance benefit is about 60% better for about 40% less money.

I can't say for sure as i have never done any real world tests myself but going by just many things i have read on other sites and it seems a lot of people say they run hot,i have ran both brands myself in my PC's but have never compared 2 with the same specs.

gta5 photo: GTAV banner gta5_banner.jpg
Message 16 of 28 (116 Views)
0 Likes
Big Daddy
16918 posts

[ Edited ]
Sep 28, 2013

kythunder wrote:

gR3yGh051 wrote:

kythunder wrote:

I can't say for sure as i have never done any real world tests myself but going by just many things i have read on other sites and it seems a lot of people say they run hot,i have ran both brands myself in my PC's but have never compared 2 with the same specs.

Might be something to do with people also upgrading to the Haswell CPU's as those run quite toasty. 

I run an Ivy-Bridge i7 6-core oc'd to 4.3Ghz and the temps on that are no where near the temps of a watercooled Haswell.

Furiously Chaosing
Message 17 of 28 (98 Views)
MVP Support
6033 posts

Sep 28, 2013

gR3yGh051 wrote:

kythunder wrote:

gR3yGh051 wrote:

kythunder wrote:

Might be something to do with people also upgrading to the Haswell CPU's as those run quite toasty. 

I run an Ivy-Bridge i7 6-core oc'd to 4.3Ghz and the temps on that are no where near the temps of a watercooled Haswell.

We are now going off the beaten path here but here is a good article that sums up how each console generation since the PS3 and now the PS4 soon.

http://whatisplaystation4.com/uncertain-future-ps4/

Here's a qoute how thing's usually pan out...

"

All I’m saying is patience. Those of us who have been in gaming for decades know the dance.

• New consoles are revealed.
  • PC elitist come out of their caves bragging about graphics and frame rates.
  • Launch titles aren’t mind-blowing.
  • People complain about no significant leap in graphical fidelity.
  • Then some developer like Naughty Dog or Sony Santa Monica reveals their next-gen game they’ve been working on for years, everyone is blown away and the floodgates of true next generation gaming is opened and the PC elitist return to hibernation.
  • For years everyone says PC gaming is dead while next gen consoles thrive for years.
  • Then when consoles again start to show their age, PC elitist come out and begin the cycle anew.

Sound familiar?"

Message 18 of 28 (92 Views)
I Only Post Everything
1050 posts

Sep 28, 2013

All I’m saying is patience. Those of us who have been in gaming for decades know the dance.

• New consoles are revealed.
  • PC elitist come out of their caves bragging about graphics and frame rates.
  • Launch titles aren’t mind-blowing.
  • People complain about no significant leap in graphical fidelity.
  • Then some developer like Naughty Dog or Sony Santa Monica reveals their next-gen game they’ve been working on for years, everyone is blown away and the floodgates of true next generation gaming is opened and the PC elitist return to hibernation.
  • For years everyone says PC gaming is dead while next gen consoles thrive for years.
  • Then when consoles again start to show their age, PC elitist come out and begin the cycle anew.

Sound familiar?"

Yes, You are correct.

I'll also add the age of comparison. The thing I can also guarantee is graphic comparison between PS4 and XB1.

Youtube will be flooded with videos. What we have seen with the PS3 and XB360 is going to pale in comparison.

Then we will have the whole Sony and MS sales lead. Look the >>> is outselling the >>>.

Finally the thing that I really don't want to happen. The hardware failure problems. Oh how they fuel the fanboy

wars. Probably more than anything else. Please no YLOD or RROD this time.

Courage is saddling up, even though your scared to death.

Atari 2600, ColecoVision, NES, Genesis, Saturn, Sega CD, PS1, PS2, PS3 (2), DS, PSP, 360, PS4, VITA
Message 19 of 28 (88 Views)
Uncharted Territory
1873 posts

Sep 28, 2013

I think this is hillarious. Nvidia deserves this. Yes, they do make great products.  However the company itself is starting to get an attitude and it is rather annoying.  AMD really needs it's hardware in these consoles because right now they aren't doing so well. I just find it funny that Nvidia is going out of their way lol..

PSN: Deadly_Rabbit123
XBL: BruteForce94

Proud Owner of Xbox One and PS4
Message 20 of 28 (79 Views)
0 Likes