Highlighted
First Son
22 posts

Re: Now's the time to buy a PS VITA.

[ Edited ]
Nov 4, 2012

For all those one the fence about getting a Vita, now is a good time to buy one, but in my opinion when buying a system there has to be that one feature of something that you need. For me, it was a special edition white AC Vita as well as a JRPG (Ragnarok Odyssey) with an amazing pre-order bonus. For you, that being anyone reading this without a Vita, however, it might be something different. Here's what got me to buy my Vita:

Special Edition White AC Vita Bundle: I am not sure if the white Vita is going to be exclusive to this holiday bundle forever, but for now it is and it got me to buy one. I needed a bundle with something special, and a different colored Vita, free game (AC nonetheless (not a big fan personally, but that story is for another time)), and free memory card (all Vitas come with a memory card, but just in case anyone was wondering if it did) was just the thing.

Ragnarok Odyssey: Though not 100% perfect, this is a great game and is great for anyone looking to use the multiplayer capabilities of the Vita. It really can be compared to Monster Hunter, but it is still unique in it's own way of course. I can't really say much besides I am enjoying it and $40 was worth it, so I reccomend looking at gameplay footage of it to see for yourself if you like it. 

Party (Pre-Installed App): Though I have not been able to try this out myself just yet, if you have friends (or add people to your PSN friend's list) that have their own Vita, you can chat with them using the Vita's built-in microphone even if you are playing different games. It's a good feature to have in multiplayer games. 

Of course I wouldn't buy the system for just 3 things, but those are the things that I was most excited about. I will be buying more things for my Vita later on though and they don't seem like they'll be disappointing me soonafter. 

Gravity Rush: This would be in my Top 3 reasons if I hadn't restricted it to 3. I've played the demo inside a store and I know this will be my first retail Vita game besides my first items. Don't know what to say besides it uses the front and rear touch features of the Vita in a nice way, and that you should try the demo inside a store if you have a chance. Gamestop stores usually have a Vita out for game demos and this is the (if not from a selection (I forget if there are multiple)) game they have demoing out there, so take a look when you have a chance.

Playstation All-Stars Battle Royale: Ok, maybe Gravity Rush won't be my first retail if I have to buy this first for the pre-order bonus due to money, but this game is one I will be getting as well. A look at gameplay footage should pretty much sum up what this game is about. For those of you who don't have access to youtube or have somehow not heard about this, however, it's a mash up of Sony's game mascots pitted against each other in a giant battle to face off against each other. 

Super Monkey Ball: Banana Splitz: I didn't even know this game exsisted until recently, but now that I do it's on my wish list. For those who do not know, Super Monkey Ball is a game where you tilt you monkey, who is enclosed inside a ball, through mind boggoling mazes, all the while making sure not to fall off the unwalled twisty pathways while collecting bananas. That's not all though as there's a a collection of minigames you and your friends can play together as well. The best part, in my opinion, is that it is possible to use the Vita's gyroscope controls to control the area and tilt your monkey to the victory goal.  

PS1 and PSP Games: Though not all are available, there are multitude of PS1 and PSP games on the PSN store that are compatiable with the Vita, all of which can be viewed on the PS3 PSN store as they are the same. Note: The games take up various amounts of memory, depending on the game. Memory sizes can range from below 200MB to over 1GB (quick reference for people who don't know: 1000MB = 1GB), so if you plan to get a bunch of older games (let alone Vita games digitally) research the amount of memory it will take up on your memory card to see if you're willing to use that much space.

There are more games I will be buying later on, but for now these will hold me, and hopefully other people, over for some time. If your looking for a unique gaming experience, the PS Vita would be a nice choice if you want to experience something new. There are only a few minor things that are downsides to getting a Vita, and by minor I mean you won't even care. One of those things is the extremely expensive memory cards. I just typed a good amount of positives above, but this can't be emphasized enough, the memory cards are extremely expensive. Your packaged-in 4GB memory card will hold you over if you plan to just save game data on it, but for those you are looking to go digital, you will need to upgrade. The US retail prices are as follows:

4GB: $24.99 | 8GB: $34.99 | 16GB: $59.99 | 32GB: $99.99

They do not come in any other sizes either, so you'd be stuck with these rates (at retail at least). For people who did not know this and looking to buy one, just giving you an important heads up.

Truth be told, that's the only problem you will face with the Vita other than the touchscreen getting fingerprints, but that can be solved with a simple screen protector. Although, anyone who has attempted to apply one of those things to anything can agree that that's a problem in itself, so...

Another thing I would also like to add is that the super awesome amazing remote play functionality of the innovatitive Playstation Vita is not all it's cooked up to be, so don't go buying this if you're planning to use your PS3 on the go. First off, the library of PS3 games that support this feature is extremely limited. I have not tried this feature on games, but from a youtube video showing God of War Saga using it without using wifi and my experience just using the PS3 menu, don't set your expectations too high. Now, I admit I might be a bit harsh here, so if people who have had there Vita longer than me enjoy this feature don't hesitate to correct me as I want this feature to be enjoyable, and I'd get some games to use this function is it's possible.

Again, those are really minor things I decided to elaborate on since potential owners might want to know the details, but really it can be summed up in a sentence or two; The memory cards are expensive, the touchscreen will show fingerprints just as any touchscreen would, and the remote play feature isn't too good. You won't even have to worry about them. Except digital only people as they may have a problem on their hands, but correct me if I'm wrong as I buy physical copies of games.

When I was listing the positives, those were things that were appealing to me (but still positives nonetheless), but each person has their own taste in games, and the Vita has a good selection. I personally look on Gamestop's Vita Page where (currently) all the retail games, with the exception of Super Monkey Ball (correct me if I'm wrong), are listed to find games I want, so that's one way to look for games real quick.

That should pretty much sum up my take on the PS Vita and why someone should buy it. Seeing as how this is a forum for the Playstation Vita, I won't do an either/or comparison of a certain compeiting handheld on the market, but if the Vita does interest you I hope that I have given you enough answers to influence your buying decision. And again, I have only had my Vita for a little while, but I am happy with my purchase and these are the reasons why.

Photobucket

Message 11 of 20 (198 Views)
First Son
14 posts

Nov 5, 2012

I bought mine yesterday, and I love it so far. I'm going to be broke with all the Vita and Xbox games I want.

U.S. Air Force
Message 12 of 20 (159 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
7388 posts

Nov 5, 2012

mattesty wrote:

I bought mine yesterday, and I love it so far. I'm going to be broke with all the Vita and Xbox games I want.

what psvita games do you have?

Message 13 of 20 (156 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
14 posts

Nov 5, 2012

remanutd5 wrote:

mattesty wrote:

Right now all I have is Madden 13. I do want to get NFS and possibly Black Ops.

U.S. Air Force
Message 14 of 20 (153 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
7388 posts

Nov 5, 2012

mattesty wrote:

remanutd5 wrote:

mattesty wrote:

ah ok i dont have Madden 13, i will be getting NFS very soon though maybe we can race online, are you planning to get Playstation All Stars Battle Royale? 

Message 15 of 20 (151 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
14 posts

Nov 5, 2012

remanutd5 wrote:

mattesty wrote:

remanutd5 wrote:

mattesty wrote:

ah ok i dont have Madden 13, i will be getting NFS very soon though maybe we can race online, are you planning to get Playstation All Stars Battle Royale? 

Yes I am, it looks really good.

U.S. Air Force
Message 16 of 20 (149 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
138 posts

Nov 11, 2012
Cosmic I got super monkey ball banana splitz and its alot of fun plus it has online multiplayer (the first MB game to have Online MP) and it has a bunch of minigames and lots of singleplayer levels. lots of fun and for only 29$ its a great choice for puzzle lovers Smiley Happy
Message 17 of 20 (95 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
16 posts

Nov 11, 2012

Thank's for the info on the game sale.Smiley Wink

Play games to " RELAX "
Message 18 of 20 (91 Views)
0 Likes
Survivor
2536 posts

Nov 11, 2012
Just as a comment, don't buy memory cards at retail stores, sellers on Ebay / Amazon can offer better deals. You can usually get 32GB cards for as low as $80. Just make sure to investigate the seller in order to not be buying from a crook~.
Message 19 of 20 (88 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
6439 posts

Nov 11, 2012
After Tuesday, probably after Playstation Plus would be the best time.
Check out my PlayStation dedicated blog, PlayStation Persuasion! playstationpersuasion.tumblr.com

PSN: ScreamAimFire999
Message 20 of 20 (80 Views)
0 Likes