Nov 09 2013
By: KID_TITLEIST First Son 13 posts

Now or later?

5 replies 152 views Edited Nov 9, 2013

Hi guys and gals!

First time poster.

Without getting too long winded because i can do that, i just wanted to say that i've come back to Playstation.  I bought my first PS1 in '97and bought the PS2 at a midnight launch in 2000.  I still own my PS2 and i have a modest library of PS1 & PS2 games today!  Even with the new systems upon us, in my opinion - from like 1993 to about '05 - i believe those were the best years of gaming, at least with my experience.

Anyway, when Star Wars Knights of the Old Republic was released in 2003, i purchased the Xbox and have been with them (xbox) ever since.  Throughout the last 7 years, though, I've always wished i had a ps3 because of the great exclusives i was missing out on.  And because of that, since this summer, it seems every thing has come full circle.  Like many others, i've come back to Playstation and am highly looking forward to the PS4.

Here's my question: In September I just recently got my hands on a ps3 and last week downloaded two PSone games off the Network.   I would like to download about four or five more but i was thinking----  Should i wait till next week to buy those classic PSone games and download them to my PS4 or should i just buy them now and play them on my PS3 because - can you even, or are you able to purchase and download PSone games off the PSN onto the PS4 just like you can on PS3?  Has Sony said anything concerning this?  I'd like to purchase and play them on my new PS4 next week but if we're not able to do that on PS4 i'll just buy them now and play them on PS3.

thanks!

Message 1 of 6 (152 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
71 posts

Re: Now or later?

Nov 9, 2013

The thing is, I don't think that the PS4 will have any older games on it. You will have access to a streaming service called Gaikai, but that's not until sometime next year, and it wasn't stated what games would actually appear on the service. 

Message 2 of 6 (143 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
9473 posts

Nov 9, 2013

KID_TITLEIST wrote:

Hi guys and gals!

First time poster.

Without getting too long winded because i can do that, i just wanted to say that i've come back to Playstation.  I bought my first PS1 in '97and bought the PS2 at a midnight launch in 2000.  I still own my PS2 and i have a modest library of PS1 & PS2 games today!  Even with the new systems upon us, in my opinion - from like 1993 to about '05 - i believe those were the best years of gaming, at least with my experience.

Anyway, when Star Wars Knights of the Old Republic was released in 2003, i purchased the Xbox and have been with them (xbox) ever since.  Throughout the last 7 years, though, I've always wished i had a ps3 because of the great exclusives i was missing out on.  And because of that, since this summer, it seems every thing has come full circle.  Like many others, i've come back to Playstation and am highly looking forward to the PS4.

Here's my question: In September I just recently got my hands on a ps3 and last week downloaded two PSone games off the Network.   I would like to download about four or five more but i was thinking----  Should i wait till next week to buy those classic PSone games and download them to my PS4 or should i just buy them now and play them on my PS3 because - can you even, or are you able to purchase and download PSone games off the PSN onto the PS4 just like you can on PS3?  Has Sony said anything concerning this?  I'd like to purchase and play them on my new PS4 next week but if we're not able to do that on PS4 i'll just buy them now and play them on PS3.

thanks!

Welcome to the forum and the answer is no.The games you buy on the PS3 like PS1 classics can only be played on the PS3.You will be able to play some PS3 games on the PS4 sometime in the 2014 when Sony releases their cloud service Gaikai.

Message 3 of 6 (141 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
2785 posts

Nov 9, 2013

The PS4 won't be able to play PSone, PS2 and PS3 game right now, but they plan on making them available through the cloud.

Message 4 of 6 (131 Views)
0 Likes
Welcoming Committee
4403 posts

[ Edited ]
Nov 9, 2013

KID_TITLEIST wrote:

Hi guys and gals!

First time poster.

thanks!

Just download them now and enjoy them on your PS3. PSN title on the PS3 (or discs) will not be backwards compatible on your PS4.

As the poster above said, Gaikai will be introduced next year, but nobody knows which games will be available at first. how often the catalog will be updated, or the price plan.

Welcome to the forums Smiley Happy

"You must make a friend of horror. Horror and moral terror are your friends. If they are not then they are enemies to be feared."

Message 5 of 6 (129 Views)
0 Likes
Highlighted
First Son
13 posts

Nov 9, 2013

Thank you so much for the quick replies!  I appreciate it.  I'll go ahead with downloading them to the PS3!

Can't wait till 11-15-2013!!

Message 6 of 6 (126 Views)
0 Likes