Nov 09 2011
By: VodkAdvokat First Son 10 posts

North American PSP Colours

3 replies 64 views Edited Nov 9, 2011

Over the course of the PSP since the 1000 series, there have been many limited edition and coloured PSPs. The limited editions, however, were the only ones that were coloured. I'm just wondering why there aren't any standard PSP systems that are coloured in North America. Japan has the carnival colours, Australia and Europe have some variation, but the only way to get a colored PSP is by getting a special or limited edition bundle - most of which are not sold anymore or cost beyond the what it really costs. What are your thoughts and reasons?

Message 1 of 4 (64 Views)
0 Likes
PIayStation MVP
12905 posts

Re: North American PSP Colours

Nov 9, 2011

IMO it has just been SCEA's attitude just to primarily make one color of PSP. I think limited editions entice some people to buy one (or buy another) PSP, but the LE color doesn't appeal to everyone like the classic black. SCEA really doesn't like making different colored PS3s in the US. I guess it is felt it doesn't really matter over here (price is the most important factor) but it appeals more in other territories. Sony once did a custom colored PS3 (Gunmetal Grey MS4 PS3), it was overpriced and sold poorly. Because of that I don't think a custom PS3 color is coming out again anytime soon.

Microsoft certainly doesn't take this approach with their X360, not only doing elaborate designs but going as far as customizing the sounds the system makes when turning on and ejecting a disc...

Message 2 of 4 (64 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
10 posts

Nov 10, 2011

I meant the colours for the PSP, not PS3. There are special editions, like the God of War: Ghost of Sparta red and black coloured PSP and it sold for only $170 (before the PSP price went down). I don't see why there aren't any more coloured PSPs other than the special editions ones.

Message 3 of 4 (64 Views)
0 Likes
Highlighted
PIayStation MVP
12905 posts

Nov 10, 2011

Like I said before, I believe the because the different colors are attached to limited editions, it may attract sales from people that might not normally buy a PSP or those who might buy an extra PSP simply because of the color. If is any color other than black or white, it probably won't sell very well in the long term. In this country Sony tends to like to make one color. I think the multi colored PSPs get a better reception in Asia than it does here. He other colors sell better if they are limited, because it makes them seem special to American consumers...

Message 4 of 4 (64 Views)
0 Likes