Uncharted Territory
2185 posts

Re: No more updates.

Oct 25, 2012

That's what needs to change. No more updates, the voice of many. Sony has no legal right to force this stuff on my either. You know that BS that nobody reads when signing up for things? It holds no meaning. I agree to nothing and drop the controller just so I can skip it and get to what I paid for. Sorry Sony, my word trumps yours and these updates are unwanted. I don't care who else does it, doesn't make it right. My 3DS hasn't asked me since the ambassador program. My PC has flashed a few messages for the last month or two but that goes away in a second.

Pssh, security. If they didn't release so many pointless updates the hackers would have grown bored and moved on by now. Technically everything is Sony's fault.

It's common sense, trust me. I've been gaming for years and know what works best and what doesn't. It's no coincidence that previous gens have done better.

I'm me and I'm speaking up to educate the clowns holding us back. If you want to update go DL something on your PC.

Yeah, when Sony fails to support their hardware and allow access to PSN that's when we have to request the help of third parties. I wonder if their plan of overupdating is to force everyone over to hacking? The same way DRM drove people from PC gaming, Sony is shooting themselves with these stupid ideas. 

Too many games, too little time.
Message 31 of 58 (104 Views)
VP of Gaming
28826 posts

[ Edited ]
Oct 25, 2012

DPsx7 wrote:

That's what needs to change. No more updates, the voice of many. Sony has no legal right to force this stuff on my either. You know that BS that nobody reads when signing up for things? It holds no meaning. I agree to nothing and drop the controller just so I can skip it and get to what I paid for. Sorry Sony, my word trumps yours and these updates are unwanted. I don't care who else does it, doesn't make it right. My 3DS hasn't asked me since the ambassador program. My PC has flashed a few messages for the last month or two but that goes away in a second.

Pssh, security. If they didn't release so many pointless updates the hackers would have grown bored and moved on by now. Technically everything is Sony's fault.

It's common sense, trust me. I've been gaming for years and know what works best and what doesn't. It's no coincidence that previous gens have done better.

I'm me and I'm speaking up to educate the clowns holding us back. If you want to update go DL something on your PC.

Yeah, when Sony fails to support their hardware and allow access to PSN that's when we have to request the help of third parties. I wonder if their plan of overupdating is to force everyone over to hacking? The same way DRM drove people from PC gaming, Sony is shooting themselves with these stupid ideas. 

Evidently you didn't either. You agreed to their terms and conditions, and now you're so narcisistic you think that you know better, and want to take it upon yourself and speak for the rest of us. That's what's called "self importance", and it's not a flattering personality trait. That's what a "contract" is, and unbreakable bond between two parties. The whole gamer logic idea of "it no it doesn't because I said it doesn't" holds no water.

Complain all you want, as Shakespeare said, its' full of sound and fury, signifying nothing. So come down off the cross, take the wood, build a bridge, and get over it. 

Message 32 of 58 (99 Views)
Fender Bender
3105 posts

Oct 25, 2012

that is exactly what its going to do..the honest playing PSN days are coming to a end very rapidly now especially since those keys where cracked and now theres nothing sony can ever do to prevent it again...i actually see this putting a delay on the release of the ps4 now because it probably used the same or very close to the same security as the ps3 and now they know that system of protection no longer works..and just like you said their TOS goes out the window when they sabotage consoles like this and gives the end user all rights to make what they paid for work again no matter how they do it....this is one war that sony would lose,even their billions of dollars won't help them here..they screwed up and people are not going to stand for it..

gta5 photo: GTAV banner gta5_banner.jpg
Message 33 of 58 (95 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
2185 posts

Oct 25, 2012

I got news for ya, I agreed to nothing and will be held to nothing. PSN access was implied with my purchase regardless what Sony said then or since. We're proving that the right is ours to retain our access. It's only illegal if we're stealing games and we're not. We're merely using the hardware we bought and highly prefer Sony stops screwing it up. So then tell me why the fools who want to update matter more than my request that updates stop?

It's unfortunate that the less knowledgeable assume that hacking only leads to piracy. Most gamers know that buying games supports future games. Piracy is a minor issue these days. Need proof? The Wii and DS were hacked yet had record sales. Hacking is our way of telling Sony what we want when they aren't listening. Homebrew can be valuable. Granted I couldn't care less about any non-gaming features but I'll not be quiet while Sony says "move your trophy icon or you can't use PSN". That's a heap of BS. Honestly the sooner companies stop wasting time and resources on DRM, malware, or FW that will be cracked in short order (nothing is unbeatable), the better off we'll be. Hackers will get bored. Companies save money. Updates won't annoy the community and break consoles. There's nothing negative about stopping updates except in the case of critical errors, which is very rare. Who can argue with that?

Message 34 of 58 (87 Views)
Ghost of Sparta
11942 posts

Oct 25, 2012
Boom. The boot drops. The troll shows his true colors.
Message 35 of 58 (83 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
2185 posts

Oct 25, 2012

*facepalm* It's not trolling if I'm right, get a clue you dope. Why even bother posting if you can't prove me wrong or offer something intellectual? Nope, the sign of a weak mind on the internet is to come in and flame me for something you're too ignorant to refuse.

I've explained why it's beneficial to not update. There aren't any negatives. I want to support Sony for offering better games than the 360 but it gets increasingly tough when they feel like screwing with all their customers without good reason. Moving the trophy icon should have been optional.

Message 36 of 58 (73 Views)
0 Likes
Ghost of Sparta
11942 posts

Oct 25, 2012
Put your money where your mouth is: actually try and PROVE anything you've been rambling on about for the last few pages. This is your thread, your argument. Now defend it.
Message 37 of 58 (71 Views)
0 Likes
Last Guardian
11697 posts

Oct 25, 2012

DPsx7 wrote:

I got news for ya, I agreed to nothing and will be held to nothing. PSN access was implied with my purchase regardless what Sony said then or since. We're proving that the right is ours to retain our access. It's only illegal if we're stealing games and we're not. We're merely using the hardware we bought and highly prefer Sony stops screwing it up. So then tell me why the fools who want to update matter more than my request that updates stop?

It's unfortunate that the less knowledgeable assume that hacking only leads to piracy. Most gamers know that buying games supports future games. Piracy is a minor issue these days. Need proof? The Wii and DS were hacked yet had record sales. Hacking is our way of telling Sony what we want when they aren't listening. Homebrew can be valuable. Granted I couldn't care less about any non-gaming features but I'll not be quiet while Sony says "move your trophy icon or you can't use PSN". That's a heap of BS. Honestly the sooner companies stop wasting time and resources on DRM, malware, or FW that will be cracked in short order (nothing is unbeatable), the better off we'll be. Hackers will get bored. Companies save money. Updates won't annoy the community and break consoles. There's nothing negative about stopping updates except in the case of critical errors, which is very rare. Who can argue with that?

it doesn't matter if you actually took the time to read the agreement when you signed up for psn...   the fact is you have to agree to it in order to continue on in the process of setting up the account. and guess what its all in there...  including acknoledging the fact that sony reserves the right to add or remove features using updates!!!  and you agreed to it... 

>

Message 38 of 58 (50 Views)
0 Likes
Last Guardian
11697 posts

Oct 25, 2012

kythunder wrote:

sorry to tell you but when i bought my ps3 i didn't sign or agree to anything,the only TOS i agreed to was for PSN...i payed good money for a console that does not operate like it is supposed to now due to 4.30...their software has ruined my console so yes i do retain the right to do as i please with my console and im not going to destroy it or sell it...i am going to make it work again like it's supposed to and yes i have every legal right to do so...and so does anyone else with a destroyed console because Sony obviously don't do much testing before these are put out and the responsibility lays on them actually but we all know they aren't going to do anything..i stand by what i say and nobody can change that..get over it..

im sorry but its all in the TOS, yo agreed to the fact that sony reserves the right to make changes to the ps3 either to add or remove features...  and remember the whole thing about geohotz?  he lost the battle with sony in court over what he did to get otheros back on the ps3..  you may own the hardware,  however you only hold a license to use the software that it contains... you have to accept everything that sony wants to do to it or you cant get on psn... and that is unfortunatly their right to do so... as you agreed to the tos.. 

this is the reality of it..  and you gor no choice but to accept it.. besides if you dont agree to the tos it won't allow you to create the account

>

Message 39 of 58 (48 Views)
I Only Post Everything
1022 posts

Oct 25, 2012

DPsx7 wrote:

We asked nicely. We strongly encouraged it. Why must Sony keep making these mistakes? Changes were not requested or wanted. Updating is pointless, wasting our time and HDD space. Updating ruined the PSP, caused my Vita to pester me with a message EVERY DAY that I have to cancel, is hurting the PS3, and has broken the store. I hope the store update gets scrapped. I just want the PS3 to play games and use PSN, nothing else. We shouldn't be forced to DL this garbage literally every other week. It's too often and nothing of value is offered.

If you want more, go buy a PC. Your desire for this fluff doesn't outweigh my desire that this remain a gaming system. Hardware that focuses on doing one thing well rather than a ton of things half-assed. I'm part of a somewhat silent majority, it's time the updates end. Honestly that's the only reason I want the next gen to start, I certainly don't need new hardware yet. It's just nice to know that when I start a game I won't need to waste an hour for more BS.

The PS1 and PS2 didn't update and look how well they did when focused on games alone. Take the hint Sony...

System updates do not waste any HDD space.  The new firmware replaces the old, using the same amount of space, and the firmware is NOT on your hard drive.

Updates are to prevent hacking, fix errors and provide new features.  The PS1 had NO Online connectivity at all, and the PS2 had very, very little.  Comparing old systems to new systems is like comparing apples and oranges.  It's a different game now. 

Updates also don't take THAT much time to download and install.  The worst is buying an old game because you have to download and install every previous update, but that's a one time deal. You do it, get over it and move on.  If your time is so precious that you can't handle an extra 2-10 minutes before playing a game, on a one time basis, maybe you shouldn't be playing games to begin with.

Message 40 of 58 (46 Views)