Highlighted
Jun 11 2013
By: Gadirok Wastelander 742 posts

No more free online, but PS+ is still amazing.

6 replies 260 views Edited Jun 11, 2013

I have mixed feelings about this.

In case some of you don't know me well enough but I have always been a critic of Xbox Live gold membership and it serving no value. With this blow, I just can't defend it.

I love PS+ for the fact that it remained an optional service. It was simply a plus. but the fact that PS+ is required for online gaming is a major blow to me.

I own PS+ because it has great value. This makes no difference to all hardcore gamers like me, but I still feel I should complain about the changes.

Yes it costs money to make these servers and maintain them. But with the business model of free online taken away since the PS3, I am disappointed.

From now on, I probably won't participate in Live VS PS+ debates. Personally Sony won me over with tonight's PS4 conference. But as a critic of live for the past 2-3 years and the main reason why I avoided an Xbox 360, I have really mixed feelings.

On one side, PS+ has demonstrated itself as a beautiful business model. On the other hand its become mandatory unless you want half an experience.

I've seen people saying "You are paying for an internet connection for $20, you can pay $5 for PS+". Of course I can, but it doesn't mean others can.

I just don't know what to think anymore. I'll still get a PS4 over the Xbox One but it feels like I was wrong. I can't defend PS+ anymore and PSN to Xbox Live by losing a valuable arguement. I still love Playstation but something inside me died today, it feels like those years of winning over people with PS+ went to nothing.

I think this probably means I will just stick to posting on Playstation General from now on and avoid discussion on Neogaf and /v/. As a outspoken critic of live I think I've just sort of lost the right to complain about it and feel like I'm being laughed at.

Message 1 of 7 (260 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
11164 posts

Re: No more free online, but PS+ is still amazing.

Jun 11, 2013
Online gaming is still free on PS3 and PS Vita.

The only thing this changes is that Online Multiplayer on the PS4 is 'hidden' behind PS+, which offers benefits that outweigh the fact that it costs about the price of a game for several hundred dollars in discounts and 'free' games over the course of a year.  That is one thing that M$ simply cannot match.

You get DriveClub (approx $60 value) right out of the gate when the PS4 launches, plus access to the existing instant game collections for both the PS3 and PS Vita (which combine for at least 18 games).  Where PS+ really excels, though, are the discounts, often on brand new and recently released titles.

So, for the price of the XBox One and a single year of XBLG ($559), you can buy a PS4 and THREE years of PS+ ($549).

Message 2 of 7 (244 Views)
Wastelander
742 posts

Jun 11, 2013

BBurgSteve wrote:
Online gaming is still free on PS3 and PS Vita.

The only thing this changes is that Online Multiplayer on the PS4 is 'hidden' behind PS+, which offers benefits that outweigh the fact that it costs about the price of a game for several hundred dollars in discounts and 'free' games over the course of a year.  That is one thing that M$ simply cannot match.

You get DriveClub (approx $60 value) right out of the gate when the PS4 launches, plus access to the existing instant game collections for both the PS3 and PS Vita (which combine for at least 18 games).  Where PS+ really excels, though, are the discounts, often on brand new and recently released titles.

So, for the price of the XBox One and a single year of XBLG ($559), you can buy a PS4 and THREE years of PS+ ($549).

You don't understand it. I have no problem PAYING for PS+ I always have and continue to. Driveclub PS+ edition convinced me that theres still good.

Its just that I have been an MAJOR critic of Xbox live and have used it as a basis of my arguement for years to why I would never own a 360 and compared it to PS+ and the Free PSN since.

I feel like I have been wrong and am unable to grasp words, because for all the **bleep**posting I did I should probably apologize. Now I'm just biting my tongue, it just gives away that I continue to pay for PS+ because I'm a fanboy.

In all honesty I don't care. I'm a fan of PS+ because it gave me amazing value. It won't make a difference to me to not pay the sum but I am disappointed with the direction next-gen consoles took.

I expected MS to eliminate the gold membership even though it was their swiss bank. Not Sony to move in the same direction.

Message 3 of 7 (224 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
2032 posts

Jun 11, 2013
since they are continuing the services the PS+ currently offers, its worth it. This month's PS+'s IGC contains about $250+ of games. For less than $5 a month. Its a steal. honestly, whoever thought of this idea is a genius.
Message 4 of 7 (214 Views)
0 Likes
Limit Breaker
18676 posts

Jun 11, 2013

old games I wouldnt play in the first place doesnt = benifits of a now mandatory service.

RE-THINK SALAD

Message 5 of 7 (214 Views)
Fender Bender
3209 posts

Jun 11, 2013
Yup every time they offer something its a game I already own that has been out for a few months.
PSN: Deaofly
60 GIG Ps3 Owner Since January 21, 2007
500GB Ps4 Owner Since November 22, 2014
1000 Model PSP Owner, PSP Go Owner and PS Vita Owner
PS1 and PS2, Both Original Systems.
Message 6 of 7 (201 Views)
0 Likes
VP of Gaming
31044 posts

[ Edited ]
Jun 11, 2013

To be honest, I kind of saw it coming for reasons I can't explain. It takes one advantage away from PS in the PS/MS argument but it's cheaper and doesn't have restrictive DRM so it really doesn't need that advantage anymore Smiley Very Happy

To be honest, I think the only reason PSN was free was because coming into this generation online gaming was a new experience for Sony. They really didn't have a plan for PSN. Back then, they figured "Free Online Gaming" was a significant advantage they could use while the PS3 struggled early in its lifecycle.

Message 7 of 7 (189 Views)
0 Likes