Feb 23 2013
By: METALPUNKS Hekseville Citizen 295 posts

No more discs/ps4

18 replies 421 views Edited Feb 23, 2013
I was thinking about this and it looks Sony is making the ps4 to be very digital download friendly. Owning a disc will be something of the past. What do you think? Do you like the idea of not owning a hard copy of your games?
Message 1 of 19 (421 Views)
0 Likes
Highlighted
Lombax Warrior
108 posts

Re: No more discs/ps4

Feb 23, 2013

It will have a disk drive.

Message 2 of 19 (415 Views)
Fender Bender
4292 posts

Feb 23, 2013

A thing of the past? Not quite yet. I personally prefer owning a hard copy instead of digital download. Also in case I want to sell it but that's not the main reason. I just like having a library of great games in a rack.

Message 3 of 19 (414 Views)
Lombax Warrior
85 posts

Feb 23, 2013
Sony already confirmed it will have a optical disc drive. So it will play disc. To answer your question yes I like my hard copies of games and the ability to share them with my friends/family.
Message 4 of 19 (413 Views)
Hekseville Citizen
295 posts

Feb 23, 2013
Well obviously it has a disk drive. I just think digital downloads will be way more popular this gen. I like my hard copies but I really think downloaded games will work better as far as all those options go. Maybe we will have an option to rip the game onto the hard drive. If you really think of the new stuff the system does it will work much better having the game downloaded on the ps4. I guess it would just think it may be quicker and easier that way. We shall see but it really seems like they are selling the idea of digital downloads. I just wish they offered a cheaper price for downloading, makes more sense.
Message 5 of 19 (406 Views)
0 Likes
Gaming Beast
1713 posts

Feb 23, 2013

I like having the stuff I buy, where I can get to it should something go wrong. I also like having a library of games to look at the covers, and manuals to read. 

Message 6 of 19 (401 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
85 posts

Feb 23, 2013

METALPUNKS wrote:
Well obviously it has a disk drive. I just think digital downloads will be way more popular this gen. I like my hard copies but I really think downloaded games will work better as far as all those options go. Maybe we will have an option to rip the game onto the hard drive. If you really think of the new stuff the system does it will work much better having the game downloaded on the ps4. I guess it would just think it may be quicker and easier that way. We shall see but it really seems like they are selling the idea of digital downloads. I just wish they offered a cheaper price for downloading, makes more sense.

Until things like IP limits are addressed as well as download speeds a fully digital console is a deathkneel. Undoubtly, you are correct in that they are pushing downloads alot more but the majority of gamers are resistant to this sort of change and prefer the brick and motar stores ( gamestop, walmart, best buy, etc.)

Message 7 of 19 (382 Views)
Survivor
2672 posts

Feb 23, 2013

muslimsk8r wrote:
Sony already confirmed it will have a optical disc drive. So it will play disc. To answer your question yes I like my hard copies of games and the ability to share them with my friends/family.

i do too.  BUT, if the rumour is true....this will not happen because it wont play used games. therefore, each game will need a code to enter in, just like a key code on PC.  so if you take it over to a friends house, on his system, it wil be cosidered used, and will not play.   but as i said,  if that rumour is true.  i havent heard anything yet.

Message 8 of 19 (359 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
4292 posts

Feb 23, 2013

TornadicInferno wrote:

muslimsk8r wrote:

i do too.  BUT, if the rumour is true....this will not happen because it wont play used games. therefore, each game will need a code to enter in, just like a key code on PC.  so if you take it over to a friends house, on his system, it wil be cosidered used, and will not play.   but as i said,  if that rumour is true.  i havent heard anything yet.

Not true. link

Message 9 of 19 (353 Views)
I Only Post Everything
1362 posts

Feb 23, 2013
Not exactly.

They're releasing these cloud features in sections, making me think that some of the more advanced things, like automatic cloud download are still a few years out.

Also, it will most certainly have a disc drive. I would be extremely surprised if it didn't.
Message 10 of 19 (332 Views)
0 Likes