Fender Bender
2785 posts

Re: No backwards compatibility NO PS4

[ Edited ]
Mar 31, 2013

BBurgSteve wrote:

One serious issue people don't seem to be concerned about...

They seem to assume that a B/C PS4 won't be the size of a small refrigerator that won't fit on ANY entertainment center.

Because a case that is able to contain the heat from both Cell PS3 hardware AND AMD PS4 hardware will have to be AT LEAST this large to dissipate the heat created.  Not to mention the extra cost associated with the heat dissipation system it would require.

People say they'd spend $600 on a B/C PS4.  But what about $1,200-1,500?  Would you still pay the extra for the "reduced" shelf space?

I remember what you told me. So I know internal backwards compatibility is impossible. I know Sony will focus on Gaikai for backwards compatibility, but hypothetically, do you think an external add-on can work? Sony obviously won't release this, but can it work if they wanted to release this?

http://appft.uspto.gov/netacgi/nph-Parser?Sect1=PTO1&Sect2=HITOFF&d=PG01&p=1&u=%2Fnetahtml%2FPTO%2Fs...

Message 81 of 318 (136 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1392 posts

Mar 31, 2013
Still going huh?
Message 82 of 318 (132 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
2785 posts

Mar 31, 2013

xChrisGTRx wrote:
Still going huh?

Yup, it's a hot topic! Smiley Tongue

Message 83 of 318 (131 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
2546 posts

Re: keeping your ps3 and you wont worried about BC on the ps4. really?

Mar 31, 2013

You guys that are freaking out over BC do not even realize that the industry is moving more towards an online based system. Meaning the games you have on your PS3 will most likely be avaialbe for download. Yes it would suck having to buy the game twice but I'm sure they will be at a discounted rate. Stop getting your panties all in a bunch b/c the PS4 wont be BC. If your that worried about it then dont get one and just keep playing your PS3. The reason sony is releasing the PS4 is so that we can PLAY PS4 GAMES NOT PS3 GAMES.

Message 84 of 318 (157 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
11160 posts

Mar 31, 2013

Icestar10 wrote:

BBurgSteve wrote:

One serious issue people don't seem to be concerned about...

They seem to assume that a B/C PS4 won't be the size of a small refrigerator that won't fit on ANY entertainment center.

Because a case that is able to contain the heat from both Cell PS3 hardware AND AMD PS4 hardware will have to be AT LEAST this large to dissipate the heat created.  Not to mention the extra cost associated with the heat dissipation system it would require.

People say they'd spend $600 on a B/C PS4.  But what about $1,200-1,500?  Would you still pay the extra for the "reduced" shelf space?

I remember what you told me. So I know internal backwards compatibility is impossible. I know Sony will focus on Gaikai for backwards compatibility, but hypothetically, do you think an external add-on can work? Sony obviously won't release this, but can it work if they wanted to release this?

http://appft.uspto.gov/netacgi/nph-Parser?Sect1=PTO1&Sect2=HITOFF&d=PG01&p=1&u=%2Fnetahtml%2FPTO%2Fs...

Theoretically, an add-on could work (since it would ostensibly contain its own cooling system).  However, I don't know that this would be a viable option for those wishing to save shelf space, since it would, for all intents and purposes, be a fully functional PS3 that simply attaches to the PS4 via a cable of some sort (most likely, Thunderbolt).  Really, the only thing that would be saved is an HDMI port on the TV.

Message 85 of 318 (123 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
9698 posts

Mar 31, 2013

SC-GRAY_FOX wrote:

You guys that are freaking out over BC do not even realize that the industry is moving more towards an online based system. Meaning the games you have on your PS3 will most likely be avaialbe for download. Yes it would suck having to buy the game twice but I'm sure they will be at a discounted rate. Stop getting your panties all in a bunch b/c the PS4 wont be BC. If your that worried about it then dont get one and just keep playing your PS3. The reason sony is releasing the PS4 is so that we can PLAY PS4 GAMES NOT PS3 GAMES.

They explained at the conference that Gaikai will enable us to stream Psone and Ps2 games.

Message 86 of 318 (148 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
13655 posts

Mar 31, 2013
Not to mention what's the difference between ps3 breaking, or your brand new ps4 breaking? Ps3 is cheaper to replace
Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Message 87 of 318 (142 Views)
0 Likes
VP of Gaming
29188 posts

[ Edited ]
Mar 31, 2013

superfriar19 wrote:

@Icestar10

Yep, blame Europe.

Lead free solder is garbage. Better for the enviroment and workers health but horrible for electronics. It doesn't flow well which in turn results in poor solder joints which in turn results in more rework which in turn results in higher production costs. It also doesn't handle the constant heating up/cooling down that come from prolonged usage. The joints get weak over time and eventually just break and lose their connection.

Obviously you're too young to remember all of the people back in the 70's who worked tirelessly to get lead out of products like pencils, house paint, gasoline (why do you think it's called "unleaded"), pots, pans, crystal glassware, plumbing, canned food, children's cribs and furniture, and even household electronics. But hey, let's undo all they did to make sure there's plenty of lead in your game console. So what if children get lead poisoning, suffer from birth defects, and have epilepsy, and all of those compounds eventually find their way into our drinking water. At least you get lots of tastey lead in your PS4!

Furthermore, idium and bizmuth based solders have melting points 5-20 degrees celsius HIGHER than lead based solders. This whole "poor solder joints" sounds like a gamer logic myth, and something that the gamer cognoscenti has repeated, and has just accepted as an illusory of truth.

Message 88 of 318 (152 Views)
Fender Bender
2546 posts

Mar 31, 2013

yeah exactly and its only a matter of time before we will be able to for PS3 games as well. Its not like sony is just screwing all of us over and keeping us from being able to play any past games when the consoles are no longer sold are hard to find or are broken. Just give it some time and allow the industry to catch up. Online console gaming is still fairly new but everything is now moving to a more online based system so all of these people having a hissy cry fest over no BC with the PS4 just need to sit back and take a deep breath.  The industry as a whole is ready for the next generation of consoles and if your on board with getting a PS4 then your first conern with it should be playing PS4 games, not PS3 games. If thats your main gripe THEN DONT BUY ONE and stop clogging up the forums with sissy crying over no BC

Message 89 of 318 (137 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1392 posts

Mar 31, 2013

Icestar10 wrote:

xChrisGTRx wrote:
Still going huh?

Yup, it's a hot topic! Smiley Tongue

Clearly its about 4 or so threads on this topic 

Message 90 of 318 (262 Views)