Reply
Big Daddy
Registered: 12/24/2007
Offline
16918 posts
 

Re: No backwards compatibility NO PS4

[ Edited ]
Mar 31, 2013

ee

 

I have this exact, if not a very similar entertainment center in my media room.... 

its holds.... a Wii, Wii U, PS1, PS2, PS3, Xbox, X360, Denon AVR-2313CI Reciever for 7.2 sound with connections to my PC and Ipod/Iphone adapter for music or surround sound PC gaming.  

There is also a 65" Samsung 3D LED TV on top of it. I have some models of Gundam's and die-cast models of cars around the TV, and in the top drawer there is space that holds about 4 physical games for each console, and still PLENTY of room to hold one controller for each console as well as applicable memory cards and frequently used accessories... 


I still have the bottom drawer completely empty and only the top shelves of the cabinet taken up by my Xbox and X360 on each side with PLENTY OF ROOM still available to make room for my PS1 and PS2 to be moved there to have more than enough room for the PS4....

I have a massive collection of games stored in the closet.

I paid $150, on sale from Ikea, last year to replace the massive ugly one that I paid $500 several years ago for, which I sold it on craigslist in just 2 days for $100.

Thousands eh?

You mean something like this for $2800?

ec1

 

Or this for $6500?

ec2\\\

 

If someone spent THOUSANDS on an entertainment center..... the least of their worries is going to be space on where to put their Playstation.


Furiously Chaosing
Message 71 of 318 (209 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Big Daddy
Registered: 12/24/2007
Offline
16918 posts
 

Re: No backwards compatibility NO PS4

Mar 31, 2013

Anyone else notice that theres a measurable correlation with BC threads as they mostly lead to discussion about "space" in their enterainment centers?

 

 

This thread is has gone off the rails.... 

Furiously Chaosing
Message 72 of 318 (206 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
First Son
Registered: 05/24/2011
Offline
11 posts
 

Re: No backwards compatibility NO PS4

Mar 31, 2013
So...where do you live? XD
Message 73 of 318 (199 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Last Guardian
Registered: 04/18/2007
Offline
11299 posts
 

Re: No backwards compatibility NO PS4

Mar 31, 2013

Icestar10 wrote:

PapaWarlock wrote:

Lep7900 wrote:
So I hear the new PS4 isn't gonna support PS3 games, well that sucks for guys like me with a 200+ game collection. And why would I want to have to huge consoles hooked up to play games, I think Playstation is making a bad decision with no backwards compatibility . I might not bother with their new system, and I'm sure I'm not the only one. If we all voice concern for this issue, then we get what we want. Here's hoping...

At the risk of sounding rude, exactly how big do you think the PS 4 is actually going to be?

 

I realize I'm only repeating what others have said, and what I've said as well, but honestly I think people are over reacting big time to the whole no backwards compatibility thing. To start with BC is not a set standard in gaming. It is not owed to anyone. Thousands of gamers crying across the internet is not going to sway Sony to suddenly re-embrace BC. Emulating PS 1 games on the PS 2 was an easy task. Emulating PS 2 games on the PS 3 was far more complicated and added roughly $100 to the price of the PS 3. People whined about the price of the PS 3 when it first arrived and during the efforts to reduce that cost, PS 2 emulation was dropped. With that major price drop, PS 3 began to sell much faster than with the BC models. Adding PS 3 and PS 2 emulation to the PS 4, as far as discs go, would likely bring the cost of the PS 4 up higher than Sony is willing to sell the system for. Imagine the utter terror of the gaming population if, once again, Sony's new system cost $500 out the gate? There'd be massive rioting across the interwebs.

 

2nd off, Sony has yet to unveil exactly how their aquisition of Gakkai (Gaikai?) will impact gaming. They have mentioned that you will be able to play PS 1, PS 2 and PS 3 games via the Gakkai  (Gaikai?) system. Hello!!! BC. Duh! One would presume that a person's current PSN purchases would be applied to the Gakkai (Gaikai?) system once it is implemented. Well, at least with any digital purchases that is. Those of us who have primarily purchased hard copies might be a bit out of sorts with that, but then again, the easiest solution to the whole lack of BC is to keep your PS 3s. I still own my PS 1, my PS 2 and when the PS 4 arrives, I'm not about to let go of my PS 3. Especially given the first 2 years of any new system is rather limited in the library section.

 

No offense but if you don't want to buy a PS 4 then more power to you. I'm going to continue to buy new systems until the day my wife cremates my corpse. If I have to buy multiple systems to play all the games I want, well then I'll be more than happy to do so.

 

I'm glad I own a home and not an apartment or live with my parents.


Nope, PS2 BC only added $27 dollars on the PS3. It did not cost that much. Sony said that they removed BC to encourage PS3 games sales, which was the wrong way to do it, in my opinion. I have no problems paying extra for a fully backwards compatible PS4. I bought my first PS3, which was the fully backwards compatible PS3 for $500 dollars from Target, and I did not have much of a problem getting it. I thought it was worth it. Backwards compatibility is an important feature for me because it preserves my library because consoles break.

 

 


That wasn't the way I heard things. From everything I'd read on the topic, back in like 2009 was that by removing the BC, they were able to shave almost $100 from the price of the PS 3 and they removed it because people were complaining about the price difference between it and the 360. Mind you, that is from the articles I read on the topic. This does not mean that I did not read the wrong articles, just that the ones I read said that. What other articles said via sites I don't visit, I can't say, I can only go from what I experienced personally.

 

Now it might seem as if I am against the whole idea of BC, I'm not. Personally I think there should be 2 models available, one with and one without BC to satisfy both types of gamers. I don't personally care if I don't have BC, because once the next generation model rolls out, there will be the inevitable price drop on the PS 3. Should the time come when I need to replace my PS 3 then I shall do so. But generally within 2 years of the new system I'm done with the old system and don't really care if they work or not.

 

Granted that is just my point of view and opinion on the topic. I know that BC is important to some gamers. I understand that not everyone wants to keep all the systems in their homes and would rather have one compact, all in one system. I'm not unsympathetic to their plight. However Sony has decided this is the route they are going to go and from what I've seen they would prefer to put out a system that is more attractive from a price point than to cater to the smaller BC group. This is one of those unfortunate things where regardless of what Sony does, they're going to lose support from some people. That's the nature of commerce. 

 

There is still a lot of things we don't know about the PS 4 other than there is no physical BC aspect to the system. There is the whole Gaikkai Cloud BC aspect that lacks severe details. We might all be surprised at what comes out of it. Then again, it could utterly suck, which wouldn't surprise too many people. 

Message 74 of 318 (191 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Sackboy
Registered: 09/28/2012
Offline
489 posts
 

keeping your ps3 and you wont worried about BC on the ps4. really?

Mar 31, 2013

It grinds my gears when people say, why dont you just keep your ps3, then you wont have to worried about BC. Really? So if I keep my ps3, and 1-2 years from now, it ylod/frezzes/no pic/ no audio/ doesnt read disc/ect. I can still play my ps3 games on it and wont have to wroried about not being able to play my ps3 games even though my ps3 is broken? Im one of the people who wants BC on the ps4. But I know its hard for sony to make it BC because the ps4 wont use cell like the ps3. Im still going to get a ps4 even though it doesnt have BC. But it just piisses me off when people claim, if you worried about BC, then just keep your ps3, problem solved. Because that does not solved the problem, as the ps3 (usually fat models) are likely to get the ylod or other problems. Even though im keeping my ps3, im still going to worried about BC because, i worried when my ps3 is going to die on me. I have 3 ps3,  2 which are broken. Thats is like 66% chance of my 3rd ps3 getting the same fate. Not like the 2% sony claim. If it really was 2%, i must be really lucky  to have 2 out of 3 ps3 ylod. There are lots of people whos ps3 died and doesnt report it due to its out of warranty and they dont want to pay $150 to get it fix. So sony cant based their ylod of the percentage of those who reported it by how many they sold.

Message 75 of 318 (232 Views)
MVP Support
Registered: 08/28/2008
Online
11159 posts
 

Re: keeping your ps3 and you wont worried about BC on the ps4. really?

[ Edited ]
Mar 31, 2013

Three years down the road, when (IF) your PS3 dies, you'll just pick another one up at Walmart for $99....  what's so hard about that?

Message 76 of 318 (231 Views)
MVP Support
Registered: 08/28/2008
Online
11159 posts
 

Re: No backwards compatibility NO PS4

Mar 31, 2013

One serious issue people don't seem to be concerned about...

 

They seem to assume that a B/C PS4 won't be the size of a small refrigerator that won't fit on ANY entertainment center.

 

Because a case that is able to contain the heat from both Cell PS3 hardware AND AMD PS4 hardware will have to be AT LEAST this large to dissipate the heat created.  Not to mention the extra cost associated with the heat dissipation system it would require.

 

People say they'd spend $600 on a B/C PS4.  But what about $1,200-1,500?  Would you still pay the extra for the "reduced" shelf space?

Message 77 of 318 (180 Views)
I Only Post Everything
Registered: 09/07/2012
Offline
1102 posts
 

Re: keeping your ps3 and you wont worried about BC on the ps4. really?

Mar 31, 2013

Kali_boiz_4life wrote:

It grinds my gears when people say, why dont you just keep your ps3, then you wont have to worried about BC. Really? So if I keep my ps3, and 1-2 years from now, it ylod/frezzes/no pic/ no audio/ doesnt read disc/ect. I can still play my ps3 games on it and wont have to wroried about not being able to play my ps3 games even though my ps3 is broken? Im one of the people who wants BC on the ps4. But I know its hard for sony to make it BC because the ps4 wont use cell like the ps3. Im still going to get a ps4 even though it doesnt have BC. But it just piisses me off when people claim, if you worried about BC, then just keep your ps3, problem solved. Because that does not solved the problem, as the ps3 (usually fat models) are likely to get the ylod or other problems. Even though im keeping my ps3, im still going to worried about BC because, i worried when my ps3 is going to die on me. I have 3 ps3,  2 which are broken. Thats is like 66% chance of my 3rd ps3 getting the same fate. Not like the 2% sony claim. If it really was 2%, i must be really lucky  to have 2 out of 3 ps3 ylod. There are lots of people whos ps3 died and doesnt report it due to its out of warranty and they dont want to pay $150 to get it fix. So sony cant based their ylod of the percentage of those who reported it by how many they sold.


Please feel free to join the discussion here:

 

http://community.us.playstation.com/t5/PlayStation-General/No-backwards-compatibility-NO-PS4/m-p/400...

 

Then you have others to discuss your point with. If not you're just wasting space on redundancy.

Message 78 of 318 (222 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Sackboy
Registered: 09/28/2012
Offline
489 posts
 

Re: keeping your ps3 and you wont worried about BC on the ps4. really?

Mar 31, 2013

I


BBurgSteve wrote:

Three years down the road, when (IF) your PS3 dies, you'll just pick another one up at Walmart for $99....  what's so hard about that?


I wish ps3 was $99, I would buy 2 more. PS3 will be 250-300 2-3 years from now, I bet.

Message 79 of 318 (219 Views)
MVP Support
Registered: 08/28/2008
Online
11159 posts
 

Re: keeping your ps3 and you wont worried about BC on the ps4. really?

Mar 31, 2013

Kali_boiz_4life wrote:

I


BBurgSteve wrote:

Three years down the road, when (IF) your PS3 dies, you'll just pick another one up at Walmart for $99....  what's so hard about that?


I wish ps3 was $99, I would buy 2 more. PS3 will be 250-300 2-3 years from now, I bet.


The PS3 is already down to $249.  It would be $199 if you could find one not in a bundle.  Historically, the previous generation of hardware drops by about $50 the day the next generation releases and another $50 within a year.  It happened with the PS1, it happened with the PS2 (which sold for $69.99 brand new when it was finally discontinued a couple of months ago).  It will happen with the PS3.

Message 80 of 318 (203 Views)
Reply
0 Likes