Fender Bender
2785 posts

Re: No backwards compatibility NO PS4

[ Edited ]
Mar 31, 2013

I know internal backwards compatibility is out of the question. What do you guys think of the possibility of Sony releasing that backwards compatibility add on that they patented?

There is a lot of gibberish and technical talk here but they talk about making the new generation console compatible with games from an older generation console. Maybe is if there is enough demand Sony could consider making this? 

Message 61 of 318 (166 Views)
Lombax Warrior
122 posts

Mar 31, 2013

DanSD wrote:

superfriar19 wrote:

DanSD wrote:

superfriar19 wrote:

You really want to pay $600 for a PS4 so you can play PS3 games? 

There's an entire thread discussing exactly this.  Yes, many would pay $600 for a backward-compatible PS4.  If it were to be made an optional model, it would not affect the masses that wanted a cheaper PS4 without backward-compatibility, but would appease the PS loyalists.

What's many? How many people? So Sony is supposed to make an additional model just for them? That's not how business works. It's not as simple as that. They would have to manufacture two different consoles. Making a separate console just with BC would drive the cost of it up even more. 

I would be very interested to know how many people who want a separate BC model have worked in the manufacturing/production business. It's not as simple as people seem to think. In order for it to be worth is for Sony they would need a large number of people willing to buy it and by large I mean millions. 

I have been working the manufacturing/production  business for 13 years and it has really opened my eyes to how things work and all the costs that people don't think about. It's like those threads you see when a new console/handheld comes out. The parts cost X and the unit costs Y so people think the company is ripping them off. When in reality they are losing money on every unit they sell. A BC model would be expensive and I think $600 would be wishful thinking as it would probably cost more. 

You're assuming, and you know what they say about that.  No one said that it is cheap or simple to add PS3 backward-compatibility.  I stated in my post that they would have to make two models; I'm not sure why you made that statement again.  You know I can't give you numbers for people in favor of paying extra for backward-compatibility, just like you can't give me numbers for people who wouldn't pay extra.

If I had to guess, I would say, yes, Sony could sell millions of backward-compatible PS4 models.  Sony's primary reason, from what I can tell, for excluding the feature is they want to drive people away from PS3 content.  Understandable from a business perspective, but I do not believe cost is a major factor in the decision.

Why would Sony want to drive people away from the PS3? They are making a profit from every PS3 sold. After years of taking a bath on it I would think they would like to get some of that back. They lost so much money on the PS3 when it launched. Look at the PS2 and PSP. They supported the PS2 up until a year ago and are still supporting the PSP. Why? They were in the case of PS2 and are in the case of PSP making a profit.

So you are assuming, and you know what they say about that, that Sony wants to drive people away from the PS3 and cost is not a factor. Neither makes sense from a business perspective. I could see your point if Sony was still losing money on the PS3 or if Sony had a track record of not supporting their previous console when the new one launched but neither is the case. Also, cost is always a factor in business. Always. It's the number one factor. If cost didn't matter the PS4 would have BC. Why create a PR headache if cost doesn't matter?

Message 62 of 318 (163 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
6532 posts

Mar 31, 2013

DanSD wrote:

gR3yGh051 wrote:
Wow..... talk about being LAZY.

I'm lazy because I don't want to spend hundreds/thousands of dollars on a new entertainment center, <edit>after, as mentioned above, spending several hundreds of dollars on the PS4 itself</edit> due to my current center being full, or because I don't want to lug my PS3 in and out of my closet every other day if I feel like playing PS3 games one day, and PS4 the next.

Makes sense.

Post a picture... lets all the the reality of "no more room".

Launch PS4 || Launch 60GB YLOD || PS3 Slim 1TB || Gaming since October 1977 (Atari VCS launch)
Message 63 of 318 (161 Views)
Treasure Hunter
6532 posts

Mar 31, 2013

DanSD wrote:

glaciusx25 wrote:
And it doesn't cost $1000. My current setup cost $100 and it holds my TV, my games, and 4 consoles

CaptainAlbator wrote:

fantasyplayer wrote:

OK. Now we are talking a 4 to 500 dollar console and a 1000 dollar intertanement center to put it on. 1500 dollars to play a ps4 game. I do not think so. You people must not live on my budget.

You have to get everything at once? And you have to spend $1,000 on a media center?

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/70218109/

This comes in at $149, well under that "$1,000 media center" you claim to be forced into spending. And you can always check garage sales, estate sales, and even you're local want ads and discount stores.

People have already spent hundreds/thousands on their current entertainment center.

Have you? ...lets see it.  an entertainment center that cost "hundreds/thousands" ...yes "thousands" that has run out of room for a single additional console.

Launch PS4 || Launch 60GB YLOD || PS3 Slim 1TB || Gaming since October 1977 (Atari VCS launch)
Message 64 of 318 (160 Views)
First Son
1 posts

Mar 31, 2013
Am I the only one who spends hours playing my PS1 games on my PS3?

Here's to hoping for complete backwards compatibility.
Message 65 of 318 (154 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
6532 posts

Mar 31, 2013

DanSD's argument has come down to this... Sony should incur the expense, time, effort to make the PS4 BC with PS3 for the sake of "shelf space".  A noble cause indeed.

Message 66 of 318 (154 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
439 posts

[ Edited ]
Mar 31, 2013

images.jpg

Message 67 of 318 (146 Views)
Sackboy
439 posts

Mar 31, 2013

Lep7900 wrote:
So I hear the new PS4 isn't gonna support PS3 games, well that sucks for guys like me with a 200+ game collection. And why would I want to have to huge consoles hooked up to play games, I think Playstation is making a bad decision with no backwards compatibility . I might not bother with their new system, and I'm sure I'm not the only one. If we all voice concern for this issue, then we get what we want. Here's hoping...

Trust me you will be the only one I will continue support  Sony and you might as well just stick to your ps3 , 

Message 68 of 318 (143 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
2785 posts

Mar 31, 2013

Well my reason for wanting backwards compatibility is to be able to play my PS3 games even if my PS3 breaks. Shelf space is another reason but the reliability of the PS3 is the bigger issue for me especially since the PS3 uses the garbage lead-free solder. I really would like Sony to release that external add-on that they patented. It's probably easier for them to do that rather than putting PS3 components inside the PS4 even though I would prefer internal backwards compatibility but I can take the add-on. Lol

Message 69 of 318 (141 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
11 posts

Mar 31, 2013

The "thousands" most likely includes the TV and Surround System as well as any other consoles being used. Personally, I'm exclusive to Playstation, but my friend has a 360 as well as his PS3 and PS2. My wife has a Wii sitting on the other side of my PS3 from my PS2. Take the cost of a TV stand (~$200-$500 depending on brand, TV size), the TV itself can be as low as $300, but a moderate TV will take you up to $1200 and a great TV starts at around $2500. Through in the Surround System which will be about $150 on the cheap side. Already the "thousand" has become plural.

Now we look at space. Most TV stands have 3 shelves regarless of how large the TV is. On this stand you already have your Surround System reciever and cable/dish box. You also have your current consoles on there (their prices were not included above). If your Surround System reciever only has 2 auxillary inputs (most of them, the ones at $150 only have 1), then you'll also need an AV switcher. Granted, the AV switcher doesn't take up much space, but the other space issue you have to consider is that none of these components are stackable. ALL of them are succeptable to over-heating and can not be stacked vertically.

So yeah, a multi thousand dollar system CAN run out of space.

And to the side, not always necessary to come off as rude...in fact, the tone of "Show me how it can run out of room" tends to make people defensive and angry and ends up starting more pointless conflict with general hostility towards everyone involved. A suggestion: Instead of being so rude, why not ask the question "How many items do you have on your entertainment center to make it full?" or "Is your entertainment center inappropriate for the amount of equipment you are trying to put on it?" or just be funny with "Thousands of dollars? Where do you live? I can come by and help you 'reorganize' your stuff. XD"

Message 70 of 318 (214 Views)