Wastelander
646 posts

Re: No backwards compatibility NO PS4

Mar 31, 2013

PapaWarlock wrote:

DanSD wrote:

People have already spent hundreds/thousands on their current entertainment center.

I am not trying to be rude, but if you've already spent hundreds or thousands on an entertainment center, then you shouldn't be worrying about shelf space.

I have bookcases in my garage for Books and stuff. It's all in how you utilize your space, rather than having to buy something bigger when it's not really warrented or necessary.

When someone buys an entertainment center, they are not necessarily buying it for future devices.  They're likely going to count the devices they currently have, and purchase an entertainment center that will acommodate exactly that, especially if they have a large number of devices.

My center houses four devices.  Regardless of how I utilize my space, I will never fit more than four devices.  Assuming each device is around the size of a PS3, AV receiver, etc.

Message 41 of 318 (249 Views)
Wastelander
646 posts

Mar 31, 2013

glaciusx25 wrote:
Guess you're not getting a PS5 either when that comes out, since that probably won't play PS4 games. 

There's probably a better chance of the PS5 supporting PS4 games, than the PS4 supporting PS3.  In the latest interview with one of the PS4 execs, he stated that the Cell is difficult (although, he didn't say impossible.. *fingers crossed*) to emulate with PS4 hardware.  x86 chips, however, are very well known, and likely much easier to emulate.

Message 42 of 318 (243 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
13534 posts

Mar 31, 2013

DanSD wrote:

glaciusx25 wrote:
Guess you're not getting a PS5 either when that comes out, since that probably won't play PS4 games. 

There's probably a better chance of the PS5 supporting PS4 games, than the PS4 supporting PS3.  In the latest interview with one of the PS4 execs, he stated that the Cell is difficult (although, he didn't say impossible.. *fingers crossed*) to emulate with PS4 hardware.  x86 chips, however, are very well known, and likely much easier to emulate.

Well regardless, not buying a PS4 for the sole reason that it can't play PS3 games (especially if you already own a PS3), is the stupidest reasoning ever.

What's the primary function of a PS4? To play PS4 games. Not to be an "all-in-one" console.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Message 43 of 318 (238 Views)
0 Likes
Last Guardian
11299 posts

Mar 31, 2013

DanSD wrote:

PapaWarlock wrote:

DanSD wrote:

People have already spent hundreds/thousands on their current entertainment center.

I am not trying to be rude, but if you've already spent hundreds or thousands on an entertainment center, then you shouldn't be worrying about shelf space.

I have bookcases in my garage for Books and stuff. It's all in how you utilize your space, rather than having to buy something bigger when it's not really warrented or necessary.

When someone buys an entertainment center, they are not necessarily buying it for future devices.  They're likely going to count the devices they currently have, and purchase an entertainment center that will acommodate exactly that, especially if they have a large number of devices.

My center houses four devices.  Regardless of how I utilize my space, I will never fit more than four devices.  Assuming each device is around the size of a PS3, AV receiver, etc.

That's not an effective way to buy then. I buy with the intent of having excess space, so that I can accomodate future purchases. Or I move things that are collecting dust to another area of the house.

Message 44 of 318 (235 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1392 posts

Mar 31, 2013
After reading the Forums today ive come to a few conclusions.... Sony shouldn't have even started this BC stuff then we wouldn't have 100 threads about it ... and the advertising slogan shouldn't have been "it only does everything" because people took that LITERALLY.. im surprised its no complaints it doesn't flush your toilet , make you sandwich's and provide sexual gratification
Message 45 of 318 (232 Views)
Lombax Warrior
122 posts

Mar 31, 2013

glaciusx25 wrote:

dbvirago wrote:

Yeah, fell for that once. Not again. If it's not backward compatible, I won't be buying one. 

Have fun with your PS3. 4 more years and no more support.

And when games come out for PS4 only, what then? They're not going to add B/C in a future model (because they always do a "Slim" model, and adding B/C would require MORE components, not less)

^This. 

Also, all of you saying you won't buy it probably wouldn't buy if it did have BC. You would be on here complaining about how expensive it is. You guys act like it some simple little thing. The tech is totally different. Adding BC would jack up the price so much we would be looking at PS3 launch prices. You really want to pay $600 for a PS4 so you can play PS3 games? 

I don't know about you guys but my consoles are not permanently attached to my entertainment center. I can put them away when I am not using them. I was in the mood to play Shenmue a few weeks ago so I walked to my closet and busted out my Dreamcast. Played it and when I was over it I put it back in the closet. Very simple. 

Bottomline, Sony screwed up with the Cell and because of that the PS4 is totally different. Do I wish the PS4 would have BC? Yes. That being said, it's not going to have it. So you guys can not buy it and miss out on a bunch of awesome games because you won't buy a console that won't play games that you already have the ability to play. 

Message 46 of 318 (230 Views)
Fender Bender
2785 posts

Mar 31, 2013

Like many people, I also want backwards compatibility for the PS4. I highly suggest emailing Sony about it. I also suggest tweeting Shuhei Yoshida. I have tweeted him about it many times. I never got a response but still, better than nothing! Posting about  on these forums won't do much because I don't think people from Sony check these forums much. Smiley Happy 

Message 47 of 318 (224 Views)
Lombax Warrior
257 posts

Mar 31, 2013

I would love to see Backwards Compatiblity on the PS4 with PS3 games but there is one simple answer. Just keep the PS3 to play the games I love on the system.

Photobucket
Playstation Rewards Tester / G.A.P. Member / 3G PS Vita Owner / PS3 Slim Owner
Message 48 of 318 (215 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
646 posts

Mar 31, 2013

superfriar19 wrote:

You really want to pay $600 for a PS4 so you can play PS3 games? 

There's an entire thread discussing exactly this.  Yes, many would pay $600 for a backward-compatible PS4.  If it were to be made an optional model, it would not affect the masses that wanted a cheaper PS4 without backward-compatibility, but would appease the PS loyalists.

Message 49 of 318 (210 Views)
Fender Bender
2785 posts

[ Edited ]
Mar 31, 2013

One of my biggest reasons for wanting backwards compatibility for the PS4 is that I don't want to worry if my PS3 breaks. I am already on my second PS3 and I don't want to worry if my PS3 breaks. Consoles don't last forever. I know Sony patented an external add-on so I know it's possible to enable the PS4 to backwards compatible but I know Sony wants to push Gaikai. The thing is not everyone can use Gaikai because of bad internet and I am sure you need to have a subscription service to use Gaikai. I am sure not everyone wants to pay a subscription fee just to play their old games.

I would rather just use my PS3 rather than have to pay a subscription service, but as I mentioned, consoles don't last forever and I already had to buy 2 PS3's. Am I just supposed to go out and buy a ANOTHER PS3 after my PS3 slim dies? It’s not very appealing. I don't need to hear that it's my fault for getting the YLOD. I give plenty of ventilation space for my PS3 and it's not on the entire day. In fact, I heard that the YLOD is related to turning on and off the PS3. And yes, space is an issue for some people. Just because space is not an issue for some of you does not mean that it's not an issue for others.

I already have multiple devices hooked on there. There are multiple consoles there, and a Dish network device. I have one slot on my entrainment shelf that is used for games and accessories for multiple consoles. Yes, I am not the only one who uses my TV! The point I am making is that I have no problems paying extra to have backwards compatibility. I am not asking to have it for free! I don’t mind paying $600 dollars for a fully backwards compatible PS4.

Message 50 of 318 (279 Views)