Gaming Beast
2117 posts

Re: No backwards compatibility NO PS4

[ Edited ]
Mar 31, 2013

I already have it  figured out without anybody holding my hand. I already have two systems on my console to play ps1,2, and 3 games. No room for any more so I do not need it. I will play all ps3 games I missed out on and replay all ps 1 and 2 games I would like to again and some ps3 games. Then in two or three or mabe four years from now I might get a ps4. Problem solved. If it had bc I would get it at launch, but O well I will wait. Never had a smart phone or tablet to play with. Mabe I will get one of them to play with untill then. I heard they are sell really good .  Hope they get the support they want to keep it going without bc on it. If not I guess I will never have one. Wonder how many people think the same way.

Good luck with your decision sony and happy gaming everyone.

Message 11 of 318 (719 Views)
Last Guardian
11299 posts

[ Edited ]
Mar 31, 2013

Lep7900 wrote:
So I hear the new PS4 isn't gonna support PS3 games, well that sucks for guys like me with a 200+ game collection. And why would I want to have to huge consoles hooked up to play games, I think Playstation is making a bad decision with no backwards compatibility . I might not bother with their new system, and I'm sure I'm not the only one. If we all voice concern for this issue, then we get what we want. Here's hoping...

At the risk of sounding rude, exactly how big do you think the PS 4 is actually going to be?

I realize I'm only repeating what others have said, and what I've said as well, but honestly I think people are over reacting big time to the whole no backwards compatibility thing. To start with BC is not a set standard in gaming. It is not owed to anyone. Thousands of gamers crying across the internet is not going to sway Sony to suddenly re-embrace BC. Emulating PS 1 games on the PS 2 was an easy task. Emulating PS 2 games on the PS 3 was far more complicated and added roughly $100 to the price of the PS 3. People whined about the price of the PS 3 when it first arrived and during the efforts to reduce that cost, PS 2 emulation was dropped. With that major price drop, PS 3 began to sell much faster than with the BC models. Adding PS 3 and PS 2 emulation to the PS 4, as far as discs go, would likely bring the cost of the PS 4 up higher than Sony is willing to sell the system for. Imagine the utter terror of the gaming population if, once again, Sony's new system cost $500 out the gate? There'd be massive rioting across the interwebs.

2nd off, Sony has yet to unveil exactly how their aquisition of Gakkai (Gaikai?) will impact gaming. They have mentioned that you will be able to play PS 1, PS 2 and PS 3 games via the Gakkai  (Gaikai?) system. Hello!!! BC. Duh! One would presume that a person's current PSN purchases would be applied to the Gakkai (Gaikai?) system once it is implemented. Well, at least with any digital purchases that is. Those of us who have primarily purchased hard copies might be a bit out of sorts with that, but then again, the easiest solution to the whole lack of BC is to keep your PS 3s. I still own my PS 1, my PS 2 and when the PS 4 arrives, I'm not about to let go of my PS 3. Especially given the first 2 years of any new system is rather limited in the library section.

No offense but if you don't want to buy a PS 4 then more power to you. I'm going to continue to buy new systems until the day my wife cremates my corpse. If I have to buy multiple systems to play all the games I want, well then I'll be more than happy to do so.

I'm glad I own a home and not an apartment or live with my parents.

Message 12 of 318 (711 Views)
Gaming Beast
2117 posts

Mar 31, 2013

Hi papa. You know sony did kind of set that standard with the ps2 and begining of ps3. Then they canned that idea. They would have been better off if they had never started it. But they did. You said the key thing in the beginning of your ststement. Thousands of people complaining across the internet. That is not counting the people that are not on internet that are thinking the same way. This could turn out real ugly for ps4 if you add thousands plus thousands. The vita went through it. Now if ps4 goes through it next year sony might fill the pains of there decisions. Hope not. But we will find out soon enough.

Happy Gaming.

Message 13 of 318 (702 Views)
VP of Gaming
29191 posts

Mar 31, 2013

Walks over to his PS3, turns it on... still works.

I don't see what the problem is.

Message 14 of 318 (701 Views)
VP of Gaming
29191 posts

Mar 31, 2013

DanSD wrote:

xChrisGTRx wrote:
Here's an idea and i know it might sound crazy but stick with me ... how about you KEEP your PS3... omg i know thats ludacris right? but you wouldn't be concerned about B/C if you actually kept your systems

He addressed this in his original post:  Many people will not have the shelf space for an extra device in their entertainment center, after purchasing a PS4.

So you MAKE shelf space. Is that so hard?

What is it with the gamer cognoscenti that they can badger a large multi-national corporation for months in what essentially is a fools errand to no avail, and yet they have the inability to rearrange a room?

Message 15 of 318 (700 Views)
Big Daddy
16918 posts

[ Edited ]
Mar 31, 2013

Heres a simple thought.....

keep your PS3. 

If space is an issue.... put it away in a box, under your bed, in your closet, and only pull it out when you want to use it. Or heres an idea.... put it in a separate room that has a TV... you know.... like the living room or bedroom.

Or you know.... buy one of these...
e

if space REALLY is an issue... this fits in a bedroom that already has a full-size bed/frame, dresser and night stand. The average dimensions for a room that is not a Master bedroom is about 12'x12' in an average middle class home. thats 144sq-ft and you'd still have PLENTY of room. I have this exact entertainment center in my media room and it holds my PS1, PS2, PS3, home theatre system, Wii, Wii U, Xbox, Xbox 360 and the most commonly played games for each system (ends up to be about 4 games per system) and theres still plenty of room to store all the controllers and remotes.

And on either sides of the TVs area and in front of it, I have Gundam models, and die-cast cars... And to think I bought this at Ikea for just $150 on sale. An upgrade from what I previously had, which was sold to subsidize the purchase of this.

ee

Is it really THAT hard to fathom?

Furiously Chaosing
Message 16 of 318 (699 Views)
Wastelander
654 posts

[ Edited ]
Mar 31, 2013

xChrisGTRx wrote:

DanSD wrote:

xChrisGTRx wrote:
Here's an idea and i know it might sound crazy but stick with me ... how about you KEEP your PS3... omg i know thats ludacris right? but you wouldn't be concerned about B/C if you actually kept your systems

He addressed this in his original post:  Many people will not have the shelf space for an extra device in their entertainment center, after purchasing a PS4.

ok first he never said anything you just said above anywhere in his OP ... second must i hold you peoples hand through this? pack it up in a box and pull it out when needed OR buy a bigger shelf you got time the ps4 isn't out tomorrow .... problem solving its not as hard as you people make it out to be 

He said:

Lep7900 wrote:
And why would I want to have to huge consoles hooked up to play games
Using a little logic, you should have realized when he says "two huge consoles," that the problem is physical space.
Now, regarding the rest of your comment.  You think someone should have to purchase an entire new entertainment center, unhook everything, move the old entertainment center out, which can likely involve disassembly, figure out what to do with the old entertainment center (weeks of attempting to sell, perhaps?  All the while it is taking up a lot of space somewhere around the house.), then assemble an entirely new entertainment center, and hook everything up again.. simply in order to keep an old console?  Keep in mind, some people spend several hundred, even thousands of dollars on their entertainment center, and a new, larger entertainment center will cost even more.
Or.. unhook the PS3 and store it in the closet when not using it, but every time someone wants to use it, he must pull it out of the closet and hook it up?  Tell me this suggestion just as much of a joke as the first.

Message 17 of 318 (697 Views)
VP of Gaming
29191 posts

[ Edited ]
Mar 31, 2013

So you FIND ANOTHER SOLUTION. I know how gamers have had this ability drummed out of them , and how they believe creativity is a "myth", but you be creative and use your imagination. It's not about more space, it's about using the space you have more efficiently. For goodness sakes, IKEA built a multibillion dollar furniture business on this concept, surely "gamers" who always love to believe they are smarter than anyone else in all of fandom, can actually solve this problem on their own.

Message 18 of 318 (690 Views)
0 Likes
Big Daddy
16918 posts

Mar 31, 2013

DanSD wrote:

xChrisGTRx wrote:

DanSD wrote:

xChrisGTRx wrote:

ok first he never said anything you just said above anywhere in his OP ... second must i hold you peoples hand through this? pack it up in a box and pull it out when needed OR buy a bigger shelf you got time the ps4 isn't out tomorrow .... problem solving its not as hard as you people make it out to be 

He said:

Lep7900 wrote:
And why would I want to have to huge consoles hooked up to play games
Using a little logic, you should have realized when he says "two huge consoles," that the problem is physical space.
Now, regarding the rest of your comment.  You think someone should have to purcahse an entire new entertainment center, unhook everything, move the old entertainment center out, which can likely involve disassembly, figure out what to do with the old entertainment center (weeks of attempting to sell, perhaps?  All the while it is taking up a lot of space somewhere around the house.), then assemble an entirely new entertainment center, and hook everything up again.. simply in order to keep an old console?  Keep in mind, some people spend several hundred, even thousands of dollars on their entertainment center, and a new, larger entertainment center will cost even more.
Or.. unhook the PS3 and store it in the closet when not using it, but every time someone wants to use it, he must pull it out of the closet and hook it up?  Tell me this suggestion just as much of a joke as the first.

Wow..... talk about being LAZY.

facepalm

Furiously Chaosing
Message 19 of 318 (687 Views)
0 Likes
VP of Gaming
29191 posts

Mar 31, 2013

IKEA

I know they don't trade in games there, but the Swedes are second to none when it comes to using space efficiencently.

Message 20 of 318 (602 Views)
0 Likes